Teaching Jobs in Santo Domingo

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I signed up today because I seem to be getting varying reports about how easy it is to find teaching work in the Dominican Republic. I'm planning a move to Santo Domingo in March. I've been scouring the Internet for the past few weeks, and while there are some promising reports that it is easy to pick up a teaching job, there are others that say it is very difficult.

I have three years of ESL teaching experience and a TEFL certificate, so I'm hoping that will improve my chances. If anyone could point me in the right direction or offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

**Venus**

Jun 8, 2008
I think couple weeks ago I saw an add about a teaching job at Dominico-Americano. This is their employment section link: Instituto Cultural Dominico Americano

I don?t know about a job in the education area, but unless you like telemarketing or call centers, it?s pretty hard to find a decent paying job, at least in my experience.

Best of lucks!
V

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Dominico Americano

Is usually hiring- they have a pretty rapid turn over of teachers. Although they do pay a decent wage (30k) it is still tight to live on that alone in SD.

If you really want to come here and get a top job, it is better to contact the school from offshore. Use this board to get the info on the best foreign schools - for instance there is a new English school in Puna Cana which might offer a more attractive package. You are simply going to look better if you are "recruited" from the US as a teacher rather than someone who just coming down and hopes to find one. Best case scenario is that you find one or two schools, perhaps in different areas, and you can chose on interviewing them. Take note though, that the best schools require that you have a regular teachers' degree or certification and/or good solid work experience.

hope that helps?

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
Thank you very much for the advice. I found the website for Dominico Americano yesterday, and I'm definitely planning on looking into it now.

To be honest, I am not concerned with finding a job for the money. I understand that I won't be making a lot this year. I'm moving to Santo Domingo because I'm interested in the Dominican Republic, and I want to experience another new country. I'm not naive about what I'm getting into, and I've saved enough money to live on for about four months.

Again, thank you so much... your responses are helpful.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Check out the other schools as well

Thank you very much for the advice. I found the website for Dominico Americano yesterday, and I'm definitely planning on looking into it now.

To be honest, I am not concerned with finding a job for the money. I understand that I won't be making a lot this year. I'm moving to Santo Domingo because I'm interested in the Dominican Republic, and I want to experience another new country. I'm not naive about what I'm getting into, and I've saved enough money to live on for about four months.

Again, thank you so much... your responses are helpful.

Good attitude and welcome- You should check out the other English schools in the country as well - because really you appear to have just the right attitude and the country will be blessed to have you - St Michael's, The American School, -- I am sure that there is a thread here.

CanadianDana

Jan 6, 2009
Is usually hiring- they have a pretty rapid turn over of teachers. Although they do pay a decent wage (30k) it is still tight to live on that alone in SD.

If you really want to come here and get a top job, it is better to contact the school from offshore. Use this board to get the info on the best foreign schools - for instance there is a new English school in Puna Cana which might offer a more attractive package. You are simply going to look better if you are "recruited" from the US as a teacher rather than someone who just coming down and hopes to find one. Best case scenario is that you find one or two schools, perhaps in different areas, and you can chose on interviewing them. Take note though, that the best schools require that you have a regular teachers' degree or certification and/or good solid work experience.

hope that helps?

Can anyone tell me the name of the new English school in Punta Cana?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I'm moving to Santo Domingo because I'm interested in the Dominican Republic, and I want to experience another new country. I'm not naive about what I'm getting into, and I've saved enough money to live on for about four months.

Michelleh, I implore you to read every post on this board regarding living in this country before making the decision to come here. Although you say money isn't a major factor, I can tell you now, the cost of living here is rising at a rate of knots. The difference between having a positive experience and hating this country can come down to $$$$. You need to ensure you have a comfortable home, money to buy little luxuries and to take weekend escapes.

I would not recommend you coming here under your 'own steam' to find a job. Take the advice of other posters and secure a role offshore. You will receive better benefits.

The culture of this country makes the work environment extremely challenging. The more support you have, the more likely you are to enjoy your experience here.

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
Mountainannie, thank you very much for the compliment about my attitude. It is always nice to hear something like that, and encouraging. Also, thank you for the names of the other schools.

Sanation, duly noted. I have been reading these forums carefully for the past few weeks. I want as much information as I can gather before I make the move. That is why I am starting the process of applying to schools now. I read about the rising cost of living in another thread, and I realise that I must carefully plan my budget. Could you please elaborate about the culture of the country making the work environment challenging? I am curious because I am under the impression that the Dominican Republic is a very laid back place to be. I also understand that long working hours are to be expected.

The Dominican Republic will be the third country, aside from my native one, in which I will live. Moving to a new country is always a challenge, and I find that the people who are 'fresh off the boat', so to speak, survive better if they come under less misapprehensions. Any advice is welcome, because I will only move to a country if I am as well informed as is possible.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I have a friend teaching at Dominico Americano and he's very happy there. He's met a lot of cool people and all around had a great experience. They don't just take anyone though, you must be qualified.

Hey Venus!!!! Long time, I'll be in touch soon.

teachdr

Oct 29, 2017
Teacher in the DR - the truth at teardr.blogspot.com

I have a blog about my experiences teaching in the DR. As well a teacher contract negotiations advice.

I add new information every week. Follow me at teachdr.blogspot.com

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I signed up today because I seem to be getting varying reports about how easy it is to find teaching work in the Dominican Republic. I'm planning a move to Santo Domingo in March. I've been scouring the Internet for the past few weeks, and while there are some promising reports that it is easy to pick up a teaching job, there are others that say it is very difficult.

I have three years of ESL teaching experience and a TEFL certificate, so I'm hoping that will improve my chances. If anyone could point me in the right direction or offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

When I was looking a few years ago, I made cold calls and met with the English as a Foreign Language directors. I took a copy of my undergraduate degree, graduate degree, TEFL teaching resume, TEFL certificate, temporary residency card, and cedula. This landed me an interview the following week at one university. I think it was INTEC. I made cold calls to 3 or 4 universities. I had to decline, though.

UASD does not hire off the street for this. You need to take an exam. I can never ascertain when the exam is given, but have someone looking out for me. UASD was my choice, of course. Some universities will NOT hire you without residency. I do not know if any will, but this is not an issue for me as I have residency. The private K-12 schools will; however, I limit myself to university students.