Hotels and rivers in San Cristobal and Azua

davewright321

Jan 25, 2009
I want to stay in a hotel in San Cristobal and in Azua, but it is very hard to find any information on them. Please let me know if you know of any good ones. I also would like to go visit some waterfalls or rivers when I am near San Cristobal. I went up to a river somewhere in the hills behind Cambita(?) once and it was amazing, but I can't really remember how to get there anymore. I also have seen pictures of a beautiful waterfall somewhere in the vicinity of San Cristobal, but was never able to visit. Let me know if you know of anything. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
La Toma

I think the waterfall might be La Toma. We used to go there all the time, but it's been a few years now since we've gone. Very pretty, nice fresh water pools artificially dammed river water - created by Trujillo if I remember correctly. I think it was one of his private get-away places. The water enters over the dam into the river-pools. When you come into the main street of San Cristobal from the capital you make a right and follow the signs.

davewright321

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think there was anything man made around the waterfall. I will have to check out La Toma though as it sounds like a cool place.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
La Toma

I was at LaToma last Sunday. It was very nice but there is no natural waterfall. Just a series of river fed pools with some waterslides. The kids loved it and in the afternoon there were a lot of teenagers. Music was at a respectable level and the beer was cold and the service pleasant. I think it was about 50 pesos each to enter.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Playa Palenque

If your not in a hurry you could try the Hotel Playa Palenque. It is between San Critobal and Bani, but it's off the beaten track. Do a search for it and you will find some info or you could PM me. Also look at the thread in this forum about the Hotel Najayo at playa Najayo. As far as I know there are not any decent hotels in San Cristobal proper.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
In Cambita Garabito, way up in the mountains, there's a nice river with waterfalls (very small waterfalls) but really beautiful and refreshing, only problem I was there years ago and don't remember how to get to there, but getting to Cambita is easy. Once you take the 6 de Noviembre highway going towards San Cristobal, about 10-15 minutes after the toll, you'll see the signs to Cambita Garabito, you'll take the road leading up the mountain, it is really steep, sort of like when you go to Constanza, you'll drive for about 20-30 minutes up the mountain, the scenery and climate up there is gorgeous. You'll reach Cambita Garabito without a problem because the main road goes right through it, there you can ask for the waterfalls.

For those who enjoy a good restaurant, I'll recommend Aubergine, higher up in the mountains, it is a very upscale restaurant (Queen Sophia from Spain ate there on her last trip to DR), but the prices are very reasonable and the view is spectacular from the restaurant since it's perched right on the top of a hill.

davewright321

Jan 25, 2009
That sounds like the one. I can't remember quite how to get there either. I just remember we went up on a dirt road way up into the hills. I can't remember if the road was too bad for a car and if I would need to rent an SUV. Anyway, thanks!

dilinares

Feb 25, 2007
it's called "mucha agua" once you get to cambita just aske about mucha agua and it's about a 15 minute drive just make sure you're driving a 4 by 4

nightowlsalma

Apr 30, 2008
La Toma

La Toma is high in the hills of San Cristobal and the place is amazing. Fresh water with small live fish feeds into several pools including one for little kids.Cost 40 pesos per person to enter. If you bring your own booze you pay an extra 200-300 pesos but you can and should negotiate the price. Parking is not free, don't remember the cost. Just outside the entrance there are many vendors selling fried fish, tostones and sweet potatoes-delicious! We were there March 1st so it was somewhat cool because of all the trees and bamboo that surround the pools but be brave, jump in, and have fun.