Question about mountain biking in DR

bovinda

Jan 21, 2009
Hey all, five of us would like to do a couple days of mountain biking. We range in skill from novice to intermediate, but we're all in great shape.

Is it recommended to go through a tour outfit like Iguana Mama? Or does it make more sense to rent some bikes and set out on your own? Anyone have any recommendations?

Right now we're looking at setting aside a day for mountain biking in the Cabrete area and one in the Jarabacoa area (those are the most I've heard about - are those the best places to do it?).

All suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Jimbo734

May 3, 2006
Definitely Iguana Mama!

They have an array of trips that can be matched with your interest along with guides who know the different areas well. I've gone twice and have enjoyed the experience each time.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There is a mountain bike community in Santiago, they meet every saturday at a certain gas station and head to the hills in a big group. It is an informal group, from what I can tell there is no membership required. You just show up and pedal your @ss off.

bovinda

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks guys. Jim, do you remember any of the tours you went on? They seem to have a bunch to choose from. I think we're looking at the full-day downhill and maybe the Rocky MF one (though I don't know how difficult the Rocky MF one would be, some of us are a little new to the sport).

Mike, I think we probably won't be there on a Saturday, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip though!