What are the best Dominican Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Markf128

I'm going to POP tomorrow and I would like to buy some cigars. Does anybody know what are the best 5 top of the line brands for Dominican Cirgars, and where I cand find them for the cheapes price? By the way, I'll be stopping in Sosua for a couple of days.

Also, does anybody know where I can find a computer hardware store near Sosua?

Sr Arturo

Jan 20, 2009
Cigars

If you're a smoker, then the "best cigar" may be a matter of personal taste. Personally, I have a preference for a Leon Jimines #4 or a smaller Aurora Preferido. Both Aurora and Leon Jimines are made in Santiago. There are no deals on these, generally speaking. You can certainly pay waaaaay too much, but you'll never find them for less than the base price (factory). Just buy from a reputable store...no beach vendors. Super Super in Sosua has a pretty good selection of smokes. Another very good smoke is an Artesan series that are sold here and there. Cafe Cito in Puerto Plata sells them, and they're the fave of the joint's owner( if he's still smoking, that is). Beyond that...you're on your own pal...torch a few up and check 'em out for yourself.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
My favorites are anything in the Fuentes Opus X line ($$$$) and The Edge by Rocky Patel ($$). Failing that, I tend to go toward anything in the Fuente line because I usually have good luck with those cigars being of decent quality.

M

Markf128

Does anyone know the name of the cigar store on Pedro Clisente owned by an Amercian? it is almost right accross Club 59 classic.

M

Markf128

Arturo is right, buy cigars in the supermarket. They are the best deal around.

The guy on Pedro Clisante is expen$$$ive..

Are we talking about Russ? I do know his name but not the name of his store. He has been in Sosua for the last 4 months. He is an American and his wife is from Israel. I'll check the supermarket and see what they have. Thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just go to Super Super for the best prices in town on smokes.

tambo'

Last edited:

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Hmmm...

Actually, I've never seen any of my Dominican favorites for sale ANYWHERE in the DR. I always take my own down with me.

Nevertheless, you can get some good quality brands there. I like the Leon and the Aurora (smoked a lot of those while there). And you can buy them everywhere.

And don't sleep on the no-name brand cigars that they sell everywhere by the bundle for dirt cheap. Some of these smoke pretty well.:glasses:

Vince.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably the best cigar store open to the public is the one at the Gran Almirante in Santiago. they carry Davidoff, and just about all of the top of the line cigars.

However, you can get good smokes at the Nacional Supermarket or at the Centro Leon.

Super Super is good, and so is Cafe Cito...either will provide stuff to puff on.

What are your favorites??

HB

Kentucky Ron

Mar 15, 2011
Best Cigars in Puerto Plata

Don Gonell has opened a cigar bar at 12 de Julio #22 in Puerto Plata about two blocks off the Malecon. He has very good Dominican hand rolled cigars and you can have a drink as well.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Does anyone know the name of the cigar store on Pedro Clisente owned by an Amercian? it is almost right accross Club 59 classic.

Mark,

The place you are talking about is Cafe Cubano and they have the biggest and best priced ligitimate collection of cigars on the north coast. The largest walk in humidor as well.

Bob K

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
The owners of Cubano Cafe, have been here longer than 4 months!!! His name is not Russ!!
However, they do have the best legal cigars, and the humidor. Not to mention the best burgers in town.... IMHO!!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Seamonkey,

Good pick up. I never noticed the OP date. Guess too early for me and not enough coffee.
You are correct they have been bought and smoked by now.

Bob K

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Sounds good

Don Gonell has opened a cigar bar at 12 de Julio #22 in Puerto Plata about two blocks off the Malecon. He has very good Dominican hand rolled cigars and you can have a drink as well.

Sounds good, I am going back again next week will have to try that out.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Take A Day Trip

to Santiago and check out this factory: Tabacalera Cuevas y Hermanos CXA, Zona Franca Especial, Palmarejo Villa Gonzalez, Santiago. 809-580-0000. When I used to smoke cigars, I would buy them from Cafe Cito, but the owner was toooo arrogant so I stopped going there. I found the Cuevas y Hermanos brands to be a very superior smoke. My guess is that if you went to the factory, you could get very good prices. If nothing else, it would be a fun day trip.

Enjoy your Dominican experience! :)

SB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I saw a website recently that had examples of the bands from various cigar brands and types. The displayed the bands of the authentic ones opposite the fake ones. It was pretty interesting reading about the proliferation of the knock offs / counterfeits.

Status
Not open for further replies.