DR and the Economy

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
With the world's economy falling apart could you guys imagine
where DR would be right now under the big HIPPO?

Mar 2, 2008
Mr DR, usually when someone asks a rhetorical question such as the one you are asking they have an opinion. What is your opinion?

My opinion is it wouldn't make much of a difference. It's pretty much the same game. Perhaps with Hippo there would be a little less stability, but who knows.
There would be some difference in who wins and who loses, but it would be the same deal in the same game, when all is said and done.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Mr DR, usually when someone asks a rhetorical question such as the one you are asking they have an opinion. What is your opinion?

My opinion is it wouldn't make much of a difference. It's pretty much the same game. Perhaps with Hippo there would be a little less stability, but who knows.
There would be some difference in who wins and who loses, but it would be the same deal in the same game, when all is said and done.

Please tell me that you are kidding,

With Hippo as our leader under this situation would have knocked down the Dominican Republic to the worst economic level in decades.

We are talking about someone that while in office could not handle bank crisis, the stability of the DR's currency and the economy, did not know how to communicate and on top of that did not even have one gram of ethic.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DokFCh3bNCI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DokFCh3bNCI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsJRE4EKiNE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KsJRE4EKiNE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3k3mYhzJo9Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3k3mYhzJo9Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He makes a better comedian than president.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

YouTube - Las Mejores Hipolitadas
YouTube - Hipolito Mejia parte 1
YouTube - Hipolito Mejia parte 2

Please tell me that you are kidding,

With Hippo as our leader under this situation would have knocked down the Dominican Republic to the worst economic level in decades.

We are talking about someone that while in office could not handle bank crisis, the stability of the DR's currency and the economy, did not know how to communicate and on top of that did not even have one gram of ethic.

Mar 2, 2008
While I wasn't exactly kidding, I really just wanted to see where you stood on the issue. I figured I would get a response out of you, one way or the other.

Although I think Leonel is a kinder, gentler, smarter version of Hippo, and he is substantially kinder, gentler, and smarter, and the impact of the world-wide economy is somewhat muted, there is still the potential for some major fallout yet to come, and Leonel hasn't completely escaped untouched.

I also think that while Hippo was a stupid crook and a bad liar, the bottom line is this, a crook is still a crook, and a liar is still a liar.

Often, it is better to have to deal with a stupid crook and a bad liar. That way they are easier to catch.

Leonel is not so easy to catch.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
While I wasn't exactly kidding, I really just wanted to see where you stood on the issue. I figured I would get a response out of you, one way or the other.

Although I think Leonel is a kinder, gentler, smarter version of Hippo, and he is substantially kinder, gentler, and smarter, and the impact of the world-wide economy is somewhat muted, there is still the potential for some major fallout yet to come, and Leonel hasn't completely escaped untouched.

I also think that while Hippo was a stupid crook and a bad liar, the bottom line is this, a crook is still a crook, and a liar is still a liar.

Often, it is better to have to deal with a stupid crook and a bad liar. That way they are easier to catch.

Leonel is not so easy to catch.
I also rather deal with a crook and liar that will have the country more stable
than a stupid crook and a liar that doesn't have a clue on how to lead a country.
Thank god Leonel was there to repair almost all his atrocities after taking office.

Mar 2, 2008
"I also rather deal with a crook and liar that will have the country more stable
than a stupid crook and a liar that doesn't have a clue on how to lead a country."

Well yes, of course, if you compare one thing with something worse, the first thing will look pretty good in comparison. That doesn't mean that it is the best thing available, or even that it is better than anything else except for the worse thing.

Just because Leonel looks good in comparison to Hippo does not mean he is a great, or even good president. It just means he is better than Hippo.

What if you compared Leonel to say, Duarte, for example. How would he look then?

The thing is, Leonel is smart, and he has done enough to improve things so that he looks rather decent.

However, the DR has to ask itself this question, what could he, or should he have done to make this a better country. Also you have to ask what did he leave undone, and what things have been left to rot?

Those are not easy questions to answer, and you might get a much different image of Leonel if you asked them.

And finally, you have to ask what was he capable of accomplishing, and how much time, effort, talent and money was wasted on Leonel's cronies, corruption in general, and misplaced priorities?

All those questions are much more meaningful than asking how he compares to Hippo. How he compares to Hippo is a no-brainer. The other questions will define how he is viewed in the history books.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
"I also rather deal with a crook and liar that will have the country more stable
than a stupid crook and a liar that doesn't have a clue on how to lead a country."

Well yes, of course, if you compare one thing with something worse, the first thing will look pretty good in comparison. That doesn't mean that it is the best thing available, or even that it is better than anything else except for the worse thing.

Just because Leonel looks good in comparison to Hippo does not mean he is a great, or even good president. It just means he is better than Hippo.

What if you compared Leonel to say, Duarte, for example. How would he look then?

The thing is, Leonel is smart, and he has done enough to improve things so that he looks rather decent.

However, the DR has to ask itself this question, what could he, or should he have done to make this a better country. Also you have to ask what did he leave undone, and what things have been left to rot?

Those are not easy questions to answer, and you might get a much different image of Leonel if you asked them.

And finally, you have to ask what was he capable of accomplishing, and how much time, effort, talent and money was wasted on Leonel's cronies, corruption in general, and misplaced priorities?

All those questions are much more meaningful than asking how he compares to Hippo. How he compares to Hippo is a no-brainer. The other questions will define how he is viewed in the history books.

I think he will be nicely viewed in the history books right along the side of Trujillo, Balaguer, Guzman and Bosch as the only presidents in DR's history within the last century that have bring stability to the country.

It is true that his administration spends money but one thing that we have to realize is that it takes money to make money. I know that many of you are the first ones to criticise any spending on projects such as the many projects that have been taking place within the last decades.

This kind of mentality is what keeps a country poor, these are the people that never want to see the Republic move ahead and are the first one to protest a government investment project that in fact is going to benefit them as well as generations to come.

They are the first ones to complain on how much money Leonel has spent but they don't talk about the source that dictated where the money was spent.

They are the ones that think that roads, schools, parks and museums are magically made without requiring any expenses.

They are the ones that would probably want the government to waste money feeding them fish for a year instead of having the government invest the money to send their sons and daughters to Israel to learn how to catch them.

It is just so amuzing also that these are the first people to complain and beg the government to fix their street yet they are also the first ones to say that the governement is spending too much money.

In every government in the world there will always be corruptions and we can't do much about it because they will always find the way to get away with corruptions but since we really can't control it we have no other choice but to focus more on the good things they do until the time comes to give somebody else a try.

Imo, Leonel would be hard to beat as one of the top 3 presidents in history making a difference in the country. Or can you tell me of somebody else?

Mar 2, 2008
"I think he will be nicely viewed in the history books right along the side of Trujillo, Balaguer, Guzman and Bosch as the only presidents in DR's history within the last century that have bring stability to the country."

Boy, who would have guessed that? Another revisionist rears his somewhat vacuous head.

?

? bient?t

Imo, Leonel would be hard to beat as one of the top 3 presidents in history making a difference in the country. Or can you tell me of somebody else?

This is akin to a seven-year-old boy asking his great-grandfather which Nintendo version he used as a kid.

?

? bient?t

[We are talking about someone that while in office could not handle bank crisis, the stability of the DR's currency and the economy, did not know how to communicate and on top of that did not even have one gram of ethic.

Didn't know how to communicate? You gotta be jokin', right?

Upon meeting Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi:

?Y ke lo ke, karateca viejo? D?melo cantando.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
"I think he will be nicely viewed in the history books right along the side of Trujillo, Balaguer, Guzman and Bosch as the only presidents in DR's history within the last century that have bring stability to the country."

Boy, who would have guessed that? Another revisionist rears his somewhat vacuous head.

Ok catcher, I would like to know your list of the top 3 that have done better than the ones mentioned.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Dominican Government Officials will go down in History as that group of greedy ba$tards that taxed the nation into deeper and deeper poverty while making themselves richer than Methuslah, then skipping the country just ahead of the
Junta which displaced them.

Texas Bill

Reactions: MikeFisher

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The only person Mr DR forgot to include in his list was Balaguer's relative Ulises Hereaux. BTW, Balaguer and Hereaux are or were related by blood. For whomever is interested, Hereaux was half-Cocolo and half-Haitian and as dark as a human being can be.

It was under his dictatorship that the foundation for the modern Dominican state was established in the late 1800s.

Trujillo developed the state from that foundation.

Balaguer initiated its democratization and its modernization.

Guzman and Bosch were rather marginal, though important critics in the entire process.

Fernandez continues its modernization process.

Hipolito, much in line with the entire PRD party, lacked a modernization plan for the government and society. The PLD and PRSC both had modernization plans, not the PRD. That party is basically populist in nature. Counterproductive for the country in general, are more traditional putting greater emphasis on agricultural development and not other forms of more modern development, etc.

Hipolito's term was no good at all. That's why he was voted out with little problems. He was no good.

Now, as for how smart he is, he's a very smart man. He's not good with public relations because of his flamboyant way, saying whatever comes to his mind with little regard for future ramifications, etc. But, he's a very smart man in general, an expert in tobacco farming and an astute businessman.

As for the people that surrounded him while in office, eh; some very smart like Milagros Ort?z Bosch, but a bunch of knuckleheads that should had never made it to positions of power. More than any other party.

-NALs

Last edited: