Residency: lawyer or ourselves?

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com
My husband is french, I am dominican, we are married since 2 years now and live here in DR.

He would like to do his DR residency and I was wondering if is easy do it ourselves (as we are married) or if is too complicated and we willl need a lawyer?

If a lawyer is needed, could somebody tell me how long is the process, estimated cost; also, could somebody recommend us a good lawyer specialized in those cases?

Thanks!

:cheeky:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife and I used Dolly Cabrera in Santiago. She charged us $800.00 each. It has taken 3 months so far. I understand the cedules are ready we just haven't gone to collect them yet. You might search Dolly on this forum, I think you will find others have recommended her as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
residency

If you are fluent in spanish and know how to "work" the system you can do it yourself and save some $$.
If not I also reccomend Dollly

Bob K

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for your answer the virginian!

One question, how many times did you go to Santiago to see her for this?

Somebody told me people needs to go a several times to Migracion office, even if a lawyer is in charge, that is important to me, because my husband doesnt speak spanish or english and I need to go with him for this (and Im a very busy person). :)

thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Bob!

The problem is if is too complicated (and we need to go often to Santo Domingo) I do not have time to do that..

We did it last year. Two visits to SD
The first to fulfill the medical - xray, etc and do the legal paperwork
The second to walk through the validation, photos, etc acceptance process.

Application filed in Feb .... Granted in Sept.

We used Sr Guzman's office

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Somebody told me people needs to go a several times to Migracion office, even if a lawyer is in charge, that is important to me, because my husband doesnt speak spanish or english and I need to go with him for this (and Im a very busy person). :)

If he has a French speaking lawyer he won't need you to go with him. Most of the new English speaking expats don't have much Spanish but have a lawyer who speaks English and they manage. As long as your husband can communicate with his lawyer he won't have a problem. Anyway, he has got to start speaking Spanish sometime - he has been here 2 years? Should have some Spanish by now......................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was about $1200 each. We were not living here so had to have someone do the whole thing in our absence.

If living here, I expect you might be able to do it for less.

It helps if the lawyer has good connections - Guzman, Ariza has good connections.

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
If he has a French speaking lawyer he won't need you to go with him. Most of the new English speaking expats don't have much Spanish but have a lawyer who speaks English and they manage. As long as your husband can communicate with his lawyer he won't have a problem. Anyway, he has got to start speaking Spanish sometime - he has been here 2 years? Should have some Spanish by now......................

Find a lawyer who speak french is a bit dificult I think...he speaks a bit spanish but his level is not enough to do that himself...and also, I prefer to be involved in the process (you know he is another "gringo"...I am dominican, is not the same).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Find a lawyer who speak french is a bit dificult I think...he speaks a bit spanish but his level is not enough to do that himself...and also, I prefer to be involved in the process (you know he is another "gringo"...I am dominican, is not the same).

There is quite a large French Canadian community on the North Coast. They may know a French speaking lawyer. (That will Cdn french not Paris)
If your husband is French-Cdn, Isnt there a CDN representative in the DR to suggest a lawyer?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for your answer the virginian!

One question, how many times did you go to Santiago to see her for this?

thanks

Here is a law firm that you can contact. There are plenty of French speaking lawyers in the DR. http://www.ferrandlaw.net

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
residency papers

Hi, I have been traveling to this wonderful country for the better part of 15years, although I usually ony get 4 weeks vacation ,since around 1992 I have been visiting there twice a year for 2 weeks as thats all I get . Now as I am older and thinking more and more about retirement and one day living there , I am compelled to try to get my Residency, my friends took me to the place on the malicoln in Santo Domingo where you go for processing but I did not know that you can not get upstairs unless you are wearing pants as I was wearing shorts and t shirt. I plan to return this time and spend the day getting to see someone on how to get this process started. I know that you need to get a medical certificate right? so is that from a dominican doctor? and x rays? again Dominican doctor ? or can I get that from my Doctor and bring back? then there is the good standing part ? I need someone who is Dominican to vouch for me? I have two passports that show my over 15 years of being there without a single incident, thats not enough? I have plenty of ex patriot friiends there and Im just wondering , do you really need a lawyer to get it done? it really should not have to be that way .I understand that we all need to earn a living but being a US citizen I just think there should be a way to do it on your own . why does everything there have to be so complicated? can anyone help guide me through the step by step process. thanks for reading my post and have a great Day in the beautiful Dominican Republic. Also P.S. Is it possible to get a residency application here in the US? there is a Dominican Consulate office in NY City, can I start the process there ? can I in Fact do it there rather then in the DR? any help would be appreciated , one day I will live there , legally

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
you have to come down to dominican republic

twice for provisional residency application and twice again for permenet residency application after one year. You have to do blood test and X ray in immigration department. You need to get your birth certificate legalized by domincan consular. If you like convenient and do not mind spent some money, find a lawyer to do it. If you want to spent more time and spent less money, you can do it yourself. You need to find sponsor who own property, car or has $3000 bank acount and willing to sign the sponsor letter for you if you are going to do yourself. You also need basic spanish or a translator.
Hi, I have been traveling to this wonderful country for the better part of 15years, although I usually ony get 4 weeks vacation ,since around 1992 I have been visiting there twice a year for 2 weeks as thats all I get . Now as I am older and thinking more and more about retirement and one day living there , I am compelled to try to get my Residency, my friends took me to the place on the malicoln in Santo Domingo where you go for processing but I did not know that you can not get upstairs unless you are wearing pants as I was wearing shorts and t shirt. I plan to return this time and spend the day getting to see someone on how to get this process started. I know that you need to get a medical certificate right? so is that from a dominican doctor? and x rays? again Dominican doctor ? or can I get that from my Doctor and bring back? then there is the good standing part ? I need someone who is Dominican to vouch for me? I have two passports that show my over 15 years of being there without a single incident, thats not enough? I have plenty of ex patriot friiends there and Im just wondering , do you really need a lawyer to get it done? it really should not have to be that way .I understand that we all need to earn a living but being a US citizen I just think there should be a way to do it on your own . why does everything there have to be so complicated? can anyone help guide me through the step by step process. thanks for reading my post and have a great Day in the beautiful Dominican Republic. Also P.S. Is it possible to get a residency application here in the US? there is a Dominican Consulate office in NY City, can I start the process there ? can I in Fact do it there rather then in the DR? any help would be appreciated , one day I will live there , legally

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife and I just finished the process of getting our permanent residency and I can not tell you how easy Dolly made it for us. She held our hand through the entire process and it was painless. She tended to our every need and always extended a helping hand in every way possible. Very professional and a very nice lady. Fair price as well. Oh to answer original OPS question. Two visits for temp and 2 visits for permanent documents. Took Metro from POP to Santiago, Dolly provided round trip taxi from Santiago to Santo Domingo. Dolly is also a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For those foreigners married to a Dominican, I highly recommend doing the residency oneself as a guarantor letter will not be needed from a third party (such as a lawyer). I did it myself and will pick it up next week - it was a snap and cheap.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
the key factor is finding a sponsor

when you apply yourself. The process is not very complicated and basic spanish should be OK. For the provisional residency, the birth certificate is a little complicated if you are not born in the place you are residing now. But the lawyer normally cannot help you about that and you have to resolve yourself. if a lawyer can solve your birth certificate complication, I think that is only point you should hire a lawyer.

williamgeo

Jun 5, 2009
Re:

Ya am here to help you mam. I think if lawyer is there for you then it will be fine.
---------
george