Traveling with Temporary Residency

Meraux

Sep 17, 2006
Hola amigos,

Forgive me for asking if this is an obvious question, but can a US citizen who obtains a temporary residency and card, travel back and forth to the US for short business and family trips?

Are there any travel restrictions? Obviously the majority of the year's time probably must be spent in the DR working and living, otherwise why go through the process.

Gracias,

Leonardo

Meraux

Sep 17, 2006

It is not a problem - just asking. Thinking for example about the US immigrant visas and other visas which have time lines.

I know the temporary residency is not a visa, but I was just simply wondering. Thought other DR1 viewers might have wondered the same.

Gracias

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
No Problem.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a temporary resident. I have traveled back and forth very often, although much less now.

A couple little things to remember is not to buy the tourist card, because you no longer need it, even though in some airports some people before they see your new ID (cedula) might insist loudly that you do. Also, you need to take the Dominican customs form, not the visitors one.

When entering the US, no one asks to see my DR residence cards so I only show my passport. But for Dominican customs both on the way out and on the way in, the DR IDs really speed things up.

I had a business visa issued in the States before I got the residency, and I don't see any need for that. I still couldn't get a credit card with that. Now I have a credit card with my ID.

BTW, has anyone else noticed how close cedula and cellular sound when spoken in the DR?