Crazy Continental prices. Why?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
:paranoid: A friend of mine told me that he bought Continental for $900. I did not belive and checked www.c.com myself. And saw prices $800-$1200 in February. EWR-POP :surprised

Is it for real? What recession and lay-offs are we talking about when people spend this huge money for a totally unnecessary and not vital things like a week in the beach?! :cheeky:

Any reasonable eductated explanation of this phenom is very welcome! :ermm:

Feb 7, 2007
Yeah you're right. The flights are expensive on that route for February travel dates. It will go down in march to about a half that. The reason is - February is the HIGHEST season of the year.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yeah you're right. The flights are expensive on that route for February travel dates. It will go down in march to about a half that. The reason is - February is the HIGHEST season of the year.

Carnival maybe the reason?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

I traveled last year in Feb. Just checked, paid about $350 total. And it was before crisis, recession and depression and everyone was rich.

No, must be some other explanation of today`s huge air prices.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
How about Jet Blue?

Jet Blue from JFK is a reasonable possibility, but I'm not sure about return costs which can often be much higher (especially on peak weekend days).
Also, American Airlines has some "good" prices from SDQ. I use travelocity website to get an overview...
and then go to the airline's website for more specific info.and better pricing.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There's a large Dominican community in Jersey. During Feb there are a lot of tickets that were bought a long time before (months) by many of those residing there, whom will be traveling to the Carnaval party. They paid for their tickets already, so the airline only needs to fill very few spots so the planes depart full. This is how traditionally airliners made their money in the biz. They can get away with the highest fares, simply b/c there are other people that need to travel during that date from that airport, these people have little recourse most of the time, so they pay it!

What's more impressive is that even with the US economy in crisis, people are still going to continue to keep traditional travel to the DR's Carnaval!!!!

I bet that if you were to book a few weeks after, the fares would be decent to look at...

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If you looked at a calendar, February 16th is President's day and most schools are closed this week.

This is the most logical answer. My kids are out of school a week in February and wouldn't dream of paying the 800.00 fare. I just booked for a week in April and got it for 412.00 out of Newark.

ghost722

Jan 14, 2009
When did he purchase his ticket? I was quoted about $475 in late december for ewr- pop 02/11/09 - 02/16/09.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
When did he purchase his ticket? I was quoted about $475 in late december for ewr- pop 02/11/09 - 02/16/09.

Purchased about ten days ago.

Even now on www.c.com all prices for all February are $600-$1100 plus tax.
:paranoid:

I never heard of EWR-POP prices like this in all my life! :surprised

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i purchased 2/26 - 3/26 a few weeks ago....EWR SDQ on Continental for $340 USD after fees and taxes. I checked the other day and the fare was 405 for the same flight.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Thank you very much for the friendly info!!:chinese:

Advantage of that search engine is that it provides all the different airlines with a range of distance from your desired airport +- one day of desired travel, or anternatively a month ahead of time from your desired airport - and even posts combination of different airlines, which may be cheaper. You then go to the airline's website to purchase or a travel agent. Much better than most of the other ones line Travelocity, Orbitz etc.

BTW, I am totally ignorant on what most of the 'smilies' mean - for instance this 'chinese' icon...? Could anyone give a 101 on smilies (including the other not so obvious ones, like 'glasses' etc. - gracias