what does the ECO decide on?...re settlement visa to UK

clarkeyl

Aug 8, 2008
my husband was refused entry clearence 2nd time now:disappoin on the grounds of paragraph 281(III)and 281(V)does any body no if the ECO decides on your whole income or just yr wages?
i recieve ?324 per wk work and child tax ?140 per month child maintenance ?35.15 per wk child benifit and betwee ?1050 and ?1150 per month wages from work i understand to qulify for a spouse visa i need to show i have a minimum of ?94.95 per wk for a couple and ?52.59 per wk per child so thats ?200.13 per wk in total left after i have paid out for my rent council tax ect however im confuseed about how they decide this is it based on my whole income? or just my wage i will appeal this time i no its gonna be a lenghy process but i will pray its over turned and cross my fingers toes and watever else i can:eek:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I looked all over the website and couldn't find any amounts either Lambada. Maybe it's only on the application, not sure.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I looked all over the website and couldn't find any amounts either Lambada. Maybe it's only on the application, not sure.

If that's the case AnnaC then no external person would be in a position to advise the OP. She would have to find this out from her end, either by asking the UK Border Authority, or her MP or consulting a knowledgeable immigration lawyer.

The other alternative would be for someone who has been through the process recently to share their experience on how their spouse's income was calculated.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
It could have something to do with claiming tax credits to assist your income. One of the rules of allowing your spouse to come here would be that he would not be able to receive public funds, which includes benefits.

You may want to look into it a bit further, I'm not 100% on this.;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
At the risk of offending clarkeyl again by offering a considered opinion, let me say I agree with your concerns saskia.

clarkeyl's husband will not be allowed to work for six months after entering the UK I believe, so it will be HER responsibility to fund/sponsor him during that period - the ECO might consider she has insufficient funds to do so without taking some of the financial support she presently receives in tax credits/maintenance etc.

It is not clear from what clarkeyl writes as to whether the 'Child Maintenance' is a Government monthly payment or a payment from the children's father - being MONTHLY, I rather suspect it is from the children's Father. If this IS the case, would not the 'Father' be entitled to stop some of these payments if a new husband entered the family home? Would HE not be expected to take on the financial responsibility for the children? I am NOT sure of the legal situation & therefore clarkeyl should check this out at the same time as the suggestions you made saskia.

It is quite possible that the ECO is aware of the legal implications of 'New Husband into the family home' & has based it's decision accordingly! As a result it would most likely make the SAME decision on re-application & my suggestion would be for clarkeyl to investigate these areas FULLY before re-applying. It would be unwise to spend more money on re-applying if it has no chance of being accepted by ECO.

DON'T shoot the messenger again please clarkeyl - these are constructive thoughts for you to consider. If they are RIGHT, you will have saved yourself some money (enough for another trip out to the DR??). If they are wrong & you DO manage to find a way round the present 'NO' decision, then I shall be delighted for you & pleased that my fears were proved wrong. ~ Grahame.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
At the risk of offending clarkeyl again by offering a considered opinion, let me say I agree with your concerns saskia.

I really hope I haven't offended you Clarkeyl, it wasn't my intention.

clarkeyl's husband will not be allowed to work for six months after entering the UK I believe, so it will be HER responsibility to fund/sponsor him during that period - the ECO might consider she has insufficient funds to do so without taking some of the financial support she presently receives in tax credits/maintenance etc.

Your husband will be allowed to work here on arrival if he is granted a spouse visa. Although finding work here is not easy at the moment, so I would allow yourself some time and finances to support him whilst he is looking for a job. Your entitlement to working tax credits and the childcare element will be effected whilst he is living with you and greatly reduced.

It is not clear from what clarkeyl writes as to whether the 'Child Maintenance' is a Government monthly payment or a payment from the children's father - being MONTHLY, I rather suspect it is from the children's Father. If this IS the case, would not the 'Father' be entitled to stop some of these payments if a new husband entered the family home? Would HE not be expected to take on the financial responsibility for the children? I am NOT sure of the legal situation & therefore clarkeyl should check this out at the same time as the suggestions you made saskia.

After around 6 months of him living here in the UK with you, legally, your ex-partner will no longer be required to pay child support (unless he is a nice guy and wants to pay out of his own pocket) as your husband will be seen as part of the family unit. As so he will also be expect to support you and your child/children

I strongly recommend you look into this further, as it may be a case of stopping your claims on working tax credit etc to allow your application to be successful. I know its probably a bit of a financial vicious circle but they really are cracking down on both benefit and immigration laws in the UK right now.

Good luck, hope it all works out in the end ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I really hope I haven't offended you Clarkeyl, it wasn't my intention.

Perish the thought, Saskia. I suspect BushBaby was referring to something he had said to clarkeyl earlier, not anything you had said. It could be the the OP PMed him and he had replied in a ..........er.........straightforward fashion ;) . Doubtless he'll clarify later.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada is correct sakia, my comment referred to a previous post I had made which (due to it's honest & forthright approach) did not sit well with clarkeyl. Hopefully she has seen the wisdon in what I wrote now in that previous post & will look more kindly on offerings. :cheeky: :pirate: ;)

Thank you for clearing up the work tax credits & child maintenance questions - it is as I feared that HM's IRS will be keen to reduce her benefits once 'husband' is in the country & living in the 'family home'. If Father of children has the same intentions, then clarkeyl & NEW husband will certainly have their work cut out to make ends meet. I suspect prices in the UK are likely to increase too shortly due to 'The Credit Squeeze'?!!

Please do some SERIOUS checking into these things before re-applying clarkeyl - not only for your sake & that of your new husband, but for your children.

Good Luck ~ Grahame.

clarkeyl

Aug 8, 2008
had some advice

Thanx for yr replys and avice all.
I am being advised by a OICS advisor and have found out that working tax and child tax credits do not fall uner the 'public' funding catogry im in the process of appealing as i can now understand what the ECO have said and have good grounds to appeal. I trust that when this dose get to court that an independant judge will overturn the decision of the ECO as they seemed to have overlooked most of the evidence i sent in support of my husbands visa! . I need not worry too much (which i cant seem to stop doing :surprised) as i havent done anything wrong and havent broke any laws:cheeky:

I havent been offended at all :ermm: i appriciate all your help and support and yes the monthly amount i get for my children is from their father.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Forgive my ignorance on this subject clarkeyl but does an appeal go to a normal JUDICIAL Court for hearing & before an Judicial Judge?? I was under the impression that any appeal is handled via the ECO themselves? Have you instructed a lawyer to serve an appeal against the ECO through the Courts & if so, using what grounds?

You might care to check this point with your OICS advisor just to clear things up - I would be most interested in their reply as I could then use it in advice I pass on to people enquiring here & elsewhere! ~ Grahame.

clarkeyl

Aug 8, 2008
well it goes back to the ECO wth any new evidence if they stand by their decision then it comes to the UK and will be heard by an independent immigration judge here i have an email from my advisor here is what he says:

You will be submitted the appeal form here in the UK so you will need to sign it. You are the sponsor and also can be the representative but I suggest you get some professional representative at court.

Now about the appeal process

1) You need to send your appeal form (obviously)

2) You will get an appeal date within 2 weeks.

3) At the hearing there will be yourself / your solicitor if you decide to get one Vs a Home Office Presenting Officer (The presenting officer will go on about why the ECO?s decision was correct to refuse visa) This means the burden of proof lies on the presenting officer, he/she will need to prove that it was right to refuse. You will get the chance to provide further evidence to support your case. From where I stand you have a very strong case.

4) The appeal determination will be sent to you and to the ECO in which ever country your husband is applying from.

5) If the appeal is successful your husband will receive a call letter to submit his passport for the visa stamp.

Please be advised this can be a long process and can take 2 to 3 months

Basicly its another chance the show the ECO more proof