solenodon news

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not sure if they got the name right - is it correct does anyone know? I thought it was a solendon

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I believe solenodon is correct.
We have them here on the farm, but haven't seen much evidence as of lately. This might be due to the fact that some Haitians living below us have in the past made boxes to catch them, just on the fence line. I'm sure to eat.
We have always kept it on the hush because we want to encourage these little native, nocturnal mammals to multiply. They are dangerous and I think they may have some kind of venom, but don't like to be seen.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes they are one of the few mammals that produce venom I beleive.Perhaps the camera crew would have done better to spend a week on your farm lol -perhaps you should contact them though the web site they may pay good money to film the little beggers

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Haven't seen one in a while. There is a small hole, 6-8 inches in a stream bank that is definetly a home. This is the same area I saw a little wobbling and scurrying varmit shortly after dusk last year. We have noticed some guava remnants around but no actual sightings this year.
There are also many holes in tree trunks throughout the property that are used on a daily/ nightly basis.
Don't want no attention, just want to let these little creatures of nature thrive.

Aug 6, 2006
Cuba, the DR and Haiti all have some small islands that are uninhabited. They should remove all the possible predators (rats, cats, dogs, goats and whatever) and declare them a preserve for these pointy-nosed critters. They shoudl also try to preserve them where they presently live as well.