What is the future of Barahona?

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
I have an opportunity to buy a nice land 10-15 minutes south of Barahona with beautiful ocean view... I live in the US and I would like to hear from you guys how you see a future of this area? What can I expect there in 5 / 10 / 20 years? It is not Punta Cana and it will never be, same as not Puerto Plata or other north areas, but... Should that be a nice place to retire? Thanks.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
If you like it the way it is now...........

...........then you will like it in 10-15 years because it will be the same as it is today.....Barahona has not progressed in any way in the past 10 years. It will be the same for the foreseeable future.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Beautiful area, great people, unspoiled (well almost) by tourists - at least the mass tourism; however for development prospects, it will take a long, long time before the drive will focus on Barahona -that is if you think of you purchase in terms of investment and appreciation. My experience is also that people have a higly inflated perception of the value of the land/house that they want to sell; and are unwilling to negotiate to a reasonable price-level; I have seen the same land and house for sale for years on end because the owner doesn't come down in price - the reason for this has often baffled me.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
perhaps they are not in a rush to move , but will take the money if someone offers it

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I like Barahona. It seems like a neat tidy LITTLE TOWN !!!!!!!!!!! the locals have a blast at the disco trying to dance salsa. I don't think anything will happen there till the next ice age.............good luck

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Slim prospects for real-estate agents

perhaps they are not in a rush to move , but will take the money if someone offers it

What I meant is that not only one house has been for sale for ages, it seems that all the houses and land that I noticed being for sale in Barahona (and along the southern route) several years ago are still for sale - the signs a bit more faded nowadays - were you a realestate agent, you would have plenty of time on your hand, I'd say

The realstate scene apart - great place, I like the town and the south-western region immensely.

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
What I meant is that not only one house has been for sale for ages, it seems that all the houses and land that I noticed being for sale in Barahona (and along the southern route) several years ago are still for sale - the signs a bit more faded nowadays - were you a realestate agent, you would have plenty of time on your hand, I'd say

The realstate scene apart - great place, I like the town and the south-western region immensely.

Well, so what is the right price for a waterfront land? With electric and water connections, private road and electric gate (for small community) ..? I believe the price change also here, even just a little bit. Is not better to buy now than later?

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
prices

Well, so what is the right price for a waterfront land? With electric and water connections, private road and electric gate (for small community) ..? I believe the price change also here, even just a little bit. Is not better to buy now than later?

Si recuerdo bien -from when I was looking a couple of years back, in the interior hills behind Paraiso the price was around 400 peso/m2; in one of the smaller villages (forgot name) 1/2 tarea (approx 315 m2) with 15 waterfront was 20 M pesos.

Feb 7, 2007
Si recuerdo bien -from when I was looking a couple of years back, in the interior hills behind Paraiso the price was around 400 peso/m2; in one of the smaller villages (forgot name) 1/2 tarea (approx 315 m2) with 15 waterfront was 20 M pesos.

That price quote seems strange... 20 million RD$ for 315 m2 would be US$1,800 per m2 ....

Feb 15, 2005
There is a HUGE misconception here. Barahona and the southwest is streaming with investors. I personally know of two HUGE developments already on board for review. One is right after the "Vuelta De Gabino" pass Playa Azul.
The other is in Paraiso.
Understand that Perdenales is very hot right now with deals going on for Cabo Rojo and Playa Blanca, the surrounding areas of Bahia De Las Aguilas.
While it will take time to become a Cabarete, I believe it can become the mecca of eco-tourism in the Dominican Republic as it contains the most diverse geography ion the country and conservatives have fought for this type of development for years.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The OP asked for projections for 5/10/20 years. That is most difficult, particularly in the current global economic environment. In the ten years that I have observed the DR developments start and stop when the initial investment is exhausted. As with any investment, some work well while others fail. In those ten years I have visited Barahona a few times and have found that it is no where near 'tourist-ready'. It is a laid back, lovely Dominican town. However, 5 years, problematic; perhaps 10-20 with focus and good marketing. I would think that it really depends on your objectives. If you are looking for a nice place to retire, and you are willing to invest time in what some DR1ers have described as 'becomming Dominican', Barahona is a place to consider. If you are looking for an investment opportunity, unless you are in it for the long haul, be cautious and prudent.

Feb 15, 2005
I purchased ocean view property in Barahona 4years ago and it's worth double. It's still undeveloped as I am waiting a little longer before construction but the fact is that beach front or ocean front property never ever goes down in value as there is but so much of it for purchasing.

Feb 15, 2005
BTW by ocean view is walking over and falling into the Caribbean Ocean if you arn't careful, not from a mountain a mile away.

Values from $10 to $40 per m2 depending where.

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
BTW by ocean view is walking over and falling into the Caribbean Ocean if you arn't careful, not from a mountain a mile away.

Values from $10 to $40 per m2 depending where.

How about ocean front (60 meters from water line)? That would not be $40 per m2, right?

I strongly believe, the price depends on a lot of things - such as electric and water connection on land, size of community, gated or not gated, etc.

BTW - we should say sea front as there is no Caribbean Ocean, but Caribbean Sea, correct? ;)

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
The OP asked for projections for 5/10/20 years. That is most difficult, particularly in the current global economic environment. In the ten years that I have observed the DR developments start and stop when the initial investment is exhausted. As with any investment, some work well while others fail. In those ten years I have visited Barahona a few times and have found that it is no where near 'tourist-ready'. It is a laid back, lovely Dominican town. However, 5 years, problematic; perhaps 10-20 with focus and good marketing. I would think that it really depends on your objectives. If you are looking for a nice place to retire, and you are willing to invest time in what some DR1ers have described as 'becomming Dominican', Barahona is a place to consider. If you are looking for an investment opportunity, unless you are in it for the long haul, be cautious and prudent.

Thank you for your opinion. My concern is to find a land for a house to retire. And I am not going to retire tomorrow, not even in 10 years.

Feb 15, 2005

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
JBlack, I would purchase the best view possible at the best price right now.

To answer the other question, you really don't want to be oceanfront. I would recommend up on a bluff, check out Barahona, Dominican Republic: Barahona Real Estate, Real Estate Development, Beachfront and Oceanview, Paraiso. and you'll see a photo of a small beach, that's Playa Azul, right above is the type of property I would recommend of which there are a multitude southwest of Barahona at tremendous prices.

I meant "oceanfront" on the cliff, with 50 meters of beach in front of cliff. But not too high cliff, just about 10-15 meters, not more. That makes a nice view and protection from ocean as well.

In such case I would have a guaranty of nice view forever. With "oceanview" properties you can lose a view, as there is still land in front of yours and a future development can change everything. :dead:

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
There is a HUGE misconception here. Barahona and the southwest is streaming with investors. I personally know of two HUGE developments already on board for review. One is right after the "Vuelta De Gabino" pass Playa Azul.
The other is in Paraiso.
Understand that Perdenales is very hot right now with deals going on for Cabo Rojo and Playa Blanca, the surrounding areas of Bahia De Las Aguilas.
While it will take time to become a Cabarete, I believe it can become the mecca of eco-tourism in the Dominican Republic as it contains the most diverse geography ion the country and conservatives have fought for this type of development for years.

It would be nice to know more about those two huge developments. Can you tell us more information, including sources where we can confirm such fact?

Feb 15, 2005
It would be nice to know more about those two huge developments. Can you tell us more information, including sources where we can confirm such fact?

What would you like to do? Talk to the developers? There are no news items to share. I actually submitted the Agreement of Non-Circumvention for one of the projects for the land sale. That and what I said before is as much as I can say. The original context of this post is that Barahona and the southwest are very attractive right now.

I believe that the keys for the southwest is that it has been a major drug coastal drop off and if developments start to spring up that will most likely end, which will be great for the country in general.
Secondly, developers must be conscious and ecologically responsible of the area