PR to DR?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
are there any AFFORDABLE ferries that run from PR to DR? doesnt have to be anything fancy. I have some friends that would like to come and meet me while I am in DR at the end of the month. A friend of mine suggested ferriesdelcaribe.comm. But its kinda pricey. They are traveling on a tight budget (who isnt these days). Their port of entry would be Santo Domingo.

Oh..and how long would such a trip take?

Thanks in advance for any info.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think your friend is out of luck. The ferry service is a virtual monopoly.

As for any other info, check the site of the one and only:

Ferries del Caribe

-NALs

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I think your friend is out of luck. The ferry service is a virtual monopoly.

As for any other info, check the site of the one and only:

Ferries del Caribe

-NALs

Thanks NALS...that is the site i was referred to.

I guess i can understand the price etc. There must be many issues with immigration etc

Too bad for the monopoly. Would be nice to have a secure, safe legal, and affordable way to travel between the two islands. Just too bad there is not a way to do this...to get to point A to point B without champagne etc.

THanks for your prompt reply.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Everything's a racket.

Flights from San Juan, Puerto Rico to the DR are sometimes more expensive than flying in from NYC even though it's a 45 minute trip, if that long.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Right! And they can stay up all night or, if they are lucky, can find some empty chaise lounges on deck to try and get some sleep until they arrive in the morning at Mayaguez. BTW, the town of Mayaguez is a 3 hour drive from San Juan which is probably where they would like to go. They will do the whole thing again on their way back to SD.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yeah...nice idea going out the window. What a bummer. Perhaps they can rent a row boat ;-)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Right! And they can stay up all night or, if they are lucky, can find some empty chaise lounges on deck to try and get some sleep until they arrive in the morning at Mayaguez. BTW, the town of Mayaguez is a 3 hour drive from San Juan which is probably where they would like to go. They will do the whole thing again on their way back to SD.

WOW 3 hours? not even from POP to Santo Domingo takes 3 hour, keep in mind that Santo Domingo is 5 times bigger than Puerto Rico.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
No. Santo Domingo is not 5 times bigger than Puerto Rico. The Domincan Republic is 5 times bigger than Puerto Rico. Santo Domingo is just its capital city. Anyway, Mayaguez is on the west coast of PR and on a clear night you can see the lights of the Dominican Republic's east coast and vice versa. That's way many people in the DR probably think that its so easy to get here on a yola. San Juan is a good 3 hour drive east of Mayaguez. I should know, I live here. Finally, for all it's worth, AA has roundtrip flights for $325.00 which is not all that bad considering that prices have come down a lot since last year when JetBlue began flying to SD.

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
No. Santo Domingo is not 5 times bigger than Puerto Rico. The Domincan Republic is 5 times bigger than Puerto Rico. Santo Domingo is just its capital city. Anyway, Mayaguez is on the west coast of PR and on a clear night you can see the lights of the Dominican Republic's east coast and vice versa. That's way many people in the DR probably think that its so easy to get here on a yola. San Juan is a good 3 hour drive east of Mayaguez. I should know, I live here. Finally, for all it's worth, AA has roundtrip flights for $325.00 which is not all that bad considering that prices have come down a lot since last year when JetBlue began flying to SD.

We Dominican living abroad when we refered to the DR we say Santo Domingo NOT Dominican Rep.

Yo voy para Santo Domingo en Diciembre.

Yo estaba en Santo Domingo en Enero.

You can call the country Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo or Quisqueya.

I hope you learn something today.

If we want to refer to the capital city we say "La Capital".

Last edited:

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
We could keep this up forever or at least until a moderator intervenes...but if calling other people names makes you happy then...good for you!