Must-Do Tours

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Hi all

Although next month will be probably our 5th or 6th trip to BC area, we rarely go on tours.

Haveing just won a superbowl pool (LOL) I promised hubby, I will foot the bill for any tours we go on.

We have done the safari, which we liked, but were FILTHY.

What are a few that we should ABSOLUTELY DO?

Ideas?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
santo domingo, samana whale watching (a long trip from boca chica), altos de chavon, san pedro de macoris, white water rafting, etc.

have fun !!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
My vote is with Kyle for Samana to do whale watching. If I were you, I would rent a car and drive the new highway to Samana town. Spend a day or two in town, get up early and head out into the bay with Kim Beddall, stop off at the island for lunch, and spend the evening dinning at one of the wonderful French restaurants there. Day two, I would drive from Samana to Limon and take a horse ride up to the waterfalls. After the waterfall visit have lunch and head back to Samana for dinner. Leave Samana the next day and head back to BC, unless you are like me and want to do another whale watching in the bay. You may even try Playa Rincon while you're in Samana. It's one of the loveliest beaches in the country. If you don't want to do the car rental, hire a driver to take up up to Samana and use local drivers to transport you to El Limon and Rincon.

If you haven't already toured the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo, you really must! It is a short taxi or guagua ride from BC. The archetecture, museums and historical sites are outstanding, and you have a choice of a variety of wonderful restaurants. Don't forget to visit the Plaza de Cultura and the Museum of the Dominican Man, and if you have time, check out the Botanical Gardens. Outstanding!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
To do the Zona Colonial you do not need to be part of a "tour" just walk round on your own and enjoy the atmosphere. As RonS says there are some good restaurants - Mason de Bari does some excellent Dominican dishes.

Valerie617

Feb 14, 2008
We did the Safari too! What an experience -- so happy we did it, but wouldn't want to go again -- that was a really rough ride, but fun -- covered in dirt by the time we returned. It was such an experience seeing the countryside, swimming at the waterfall, and it really cracked me up that the "open bar" was a cooler with a bottle of rum and plastic cups in the truck -- it truly is an art form how our guide poured the rum into the little plastic cups as we traveled over the bumpy roads.

We did a tour to Saona - it is a beautiful island. On the way there, they stop at the "natural pool". It's a very shallow area. You can get out of the boat and take pictures with star fish. They tell you not to keep the star fish out of the water too long, or it will die. I don't know -- but they had just one star fish that everyone took a picture with! CDs with photos were for sale at the end of the tour. Although I liked the island, it was a long bus ride back and forth from Boca Chica.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks

Thanks all for your input.

Valerie the waterfall was so awesome. Upon returning, we got into the shower with our clothes on - LOL

Thanks again for all the great ideas everyone!

Did anyone ever do the caves I keep hearing about?