Moving to DR and shipping car

Savina

Feb 6, 2009
I have been in the US now for 5 years and am returning to live to DR later this year; I have my residency card (am American citizen). I have had leased car for the past 3 1/2 years and would like to pay the car off and take it back with me to DR. Will Dominican customs accept the leased period as ownership of the car by me? I will present documents and payments made to the leasing company to prove the car has been under my use for this time. I know that any car I take into the country needs to have been under my ownership for atleast one year.

I would appreciate legal advice on this matter. I do not want to take the car with me and then find out the car is not exonerated.

Thank you for any information you may provide.

Jan 9, 2004
If the registration and/or title....

for the vehicle are not in your name for the year prior to shipping, then it will not get past Aduana using the one year of ownership exoneration. Aduana looks only at the registration/title to determine if you qualify for the reduced taxes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I have been in the US now for 5 years and am returning to live to DR later this year; I have my residency card (am American citizen). I have had leased car for the past 3 1/2 years and would like to pay the car off and take it back with me to DR. Will Dominican customs accept the leased period as ownership of the car by me? I will present documents and payments made to the leasing company to prove the car has been under my use for this time. I know that any car I take into the country needs to have been under my ownership for atleast one year.

I would appreciate legal advice on this matter. I do not want to take the car with me and then find out the car is not exonerated.

Thank you for any information you may provide.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
If the title was issued to the lease company and not you - which is the case usually, you have to pay full duty, which is high $$$.
You can pay it off and wait a whole year before the import.
I did ship my car here in August, but I'd not do it again.

TheHun

Savina

Feb 6, 2009
The Hun,
What was your experience shipping your car into DR? Can you give me some details? I know the Aduana there is a hassle. Please elaborate.