A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
While with the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez was one of the players who tested positive for steroids, specifically primobolan and testosterone.

Here's the article from Sports Illustrated...

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03, sources tell SI - MLB - SI.com

2058izm.jpg

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
When will this just go away.

The only thing more tiring to me than AFraud is the steroids story.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The only thing more tiring to me than AFraud is the steroids story.

True, but unfortunately this is a huge story nonetheless.

What makes me even sicker is the amount of our tax dollars the Federal Government is spending to tell us what we already know-that Bonds lied when he told a grand jury he never knowingly took steroids.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It looks like our only hope now for the new "real" home run king is possibly Manny or Albert Pujols, oh well.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
True, but unfortunately this is a huge story nonetheless.

What makes me even sicker is the amount of our tax dollars the Federal Government is spending to tell us what we already know-that Bonds lied when he told a grand jury he never knowingly took steroids.

The issue isn't the use of steriods, Uncle Sam doesn't care less or they would be prosecuting the other players - it is perjury plain and simple - lying to a grand jury and think that you can get away with it. The good thing is Anderson ain't getting away with his "taking the 5th" plan either, good riddens.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The issue isn't the use of steroids, Uncle Sam doesn't care less or they would be prosecuting the other players -it is perjury plain and simple - lying to a grand jury and think that you can get away with it. The good thing is Anderson ain't getting away with his "taking the 5th" plan either, good riddance.

There has to be some perspective when choosing to spend taxpayer dollars(into the millions so far) over a lie about steroids, something that will result AT MOST in a 6 month prison sentence, which is highly unlikely as the judge presiding over the case had another BALCO defendant in her courtroom under similar circumstances and gave her no jail time.

Its' over the top and ridiculous. Perjury and obstruction of justice were the same things lawmakers were barking about when they went after Bill Clinton for lying about a sexual encounter. And they spent 70 million of our tax dollars on that.

Money well spent, eh?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I wonder who care if A-Rod used steroid, or if Micheal Phelps smoke Marijuana when we have so many people without jobs or food to eat, i guess the government needs to find a way to distract its citizen and spend a few million on taxpayers money to keep lawyers on their jobs.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
There has to be some perspective when choosing to spend taxpayer dollars(into the millions so far) over a lie about steroids, something that will result AT MOST in a 6 month prison sentence, which is highly unlikely as the judge presiding over the case had another BALCO defendant in her courtroom under similar circumstances and gave her no jail time.

Its' over the top and ridiculous. Perjury and obstruction of justice were the same things lawmakers were barking about when they went after Bill Clinton for lying about a sexual encounter. And they spent 70 million of our tax dollars on that.

Money well spent, eh?

Sometimes its not so much the jail time that's the ouch, but the reputation of the player that takes the big hit. It's very difficult to recover from that dark cloud over an athletes head. Ask Clemens, Bonds or McGwire.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Keep to Baseball please.

...i guess the government needs to find a way to distract its citizen and spend a few million on taxpayers money to keep lawyers on their jobs.
As much as I agree to that statement, please keep this to baseball. There are plenty of places to bitch about the government, this isn't one of them.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
A-roid, Jose Cansucko, Bar-roid Bonds, Rog-roid Clements and all the rest make choices in life...as do the rest of the world...it's a shame there's time for so much finger pointing at people whose actions DO NOT affect our daily lives.....especially when the energy could be spent on other things....like education and the economy. A-roid apparently has his chemical combo correct as he's proved himself capable of swinging his bat and hittin homeruns in Madonna's ballpark making him her MVP.

Football player Lyle Alzado (?) proved what happens when you do too many muscle drugs...your pelotas shrink and you die young....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
It looks like our only hope now for the new "real" home run king is possibly Manny or Albert Pujols, oh well.

hopefully, there are no skeletons in their closets. no telling what they purchased in those dominican health stores or pharmacies.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A-roid, Jose Cansucko, Bar-roid Bonds, Rog-roid Clements and all the rest make choices in life...as do the rest of the world...it's a shame there's time for so much finger pointing at people whose actions DO NOT affect our daily lives.....especially when the energy could be spent on other things....like education and the economy.

The thing is that these folks along with Major League baseball made tons of money on the hype of those big records, and fans spent millions to watch the spectacle. So yes in a way it did affect peoples lives...their pocketbooks. Now something has to be set right, and individuals involved in this will pay a price for going along for the ride. Going forward his reputation isn't worth a rat's ass.

With the news Saturday that Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003, he could end up like Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro ? shunned from the game and taking denials into a lonely retirement.

?His legacy, now, is gone," one Yankees official said of Rodriguez, speaking on condition of anonymity because the organization had no public comment. ?He?ll just play it out. Now he?s a worker. Do your job, collect your paycheck and when you?re finished playing, go away. That?s what it is.?
my bold

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/sports/baseball/08kepner.html?hp

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No shocker here. There is a reason why some players played like Superman.

I'd personally like to see All-Steroid Leagues in every sport, even ping pong. Make them legal for sports, and let the freakazoids entertain us...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Aren't we already there?

I'd personally like to see All-Steroid Leagues in every sport, even ping pong. Make them legal for sports, and let the freakazoids entertain us...
I was thinking Badminton would be a prime time hit if you get a bunch of Lyle Alzados and Cansecos out there.
I'd watch it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They have only anonomys stories on this issue, noone has put their name to any of these accusations therefore he should have the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise.
I dunno, Pat. I'm not aware of asny steroid accusations in MLB that haven't been true.

Have you wondered why his production has fallen off...like all the other steroid Kings when they quit?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I was thinking Badminton would be a prime time hit if you get a bunch of Lyle Alzados and Cansecos out there.
I'd watch it.
I'm thinking John Matuszak playing bocce or croquet...:cheeky:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
They have only anonymous stories on this issue, no one has put their name to any of these accusations therefore he should have the benefit of the doubt till proven otherwise.

This is how A-Rod's name got out there in connection to his positive steroid test-

1) The random testing in 2003 was initially done to see what percentage of players would test positive. If it fell anywhere around 5-10% or more, the league then would begin more stringent testing going forward.

2) The criteria was met after the results came in. The names were on all of the specimens but due to the confidentiality agreement, were not made public.

3) Player's Union Chief Operating Officer Gene Orza, who is baseball's representative on "the Health Policy Advisory Council, which deals, on a confidential basis, with substance abuse matters and other medical issues concerning players", kept the results instead of destroying them which was the protocol.

4) When the Federal Government subpoenaed the results for the purposes of gathering information on their case against BALCO and Barry Bonds, they confiscated the entire list. This list included all of the names of all 104 players who tested positive and which substances they tested positive for.

5) Sports Illustrated reporter Selena Roberts did her due diligence in breaking this story, checking and re-checking her sources until it was ironclad.

6) She then met with Alex Rodriguez on the campus of the University of Miami where she gained access to the gym and gave Rodriguez the opportunity to answer these allegations. He declined to make any statement other than she had to speak to the Player's Union about it.

I have no idea who the reporter's sources are, but leaked grand jury testimony is what started this avalanche when Giambi and Bonds testified as to their association with BALCO a few years ago. So the source could be somewhere within the Federal Governments' people who have a copy of the list.

I believe it is only a matter of time before the whole list is made public. But so far, the biggest name in baseball was exposed first.

So to answer Badpiece, no, this situation is far from being mere hearsay. And remember, outing the source of the information is not a prerequisite for obtaining the information or verifying its' veracity. If it were, law enforcement would be hampered in going after criminals without confidential informants.

And if it turns out that the leak is among the Federal Governments' people working on the Bonds' perjury trial, they would lose their jobs.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No shocker here. There is a reason why some players played like Superman.

a_muscle_mans_huge_arms_greg_valentino_talkin_with_dave_5.jpg

At some point they might not even be able to swing a bat!