Presents For Dominican's ?

dangerousdave

Feb 18, 2007
I am traveling from USA to Santo Domingo soon and I want to take some small presents with me for my lady 40's, her son 19 and daughter 23. Can anyone give me any general ideas what might be a good gift for RD citizens. Perhaps something that may be more difficult to obtain there? Want to spend $15-20 each. Thanks

Reactions: FernieBee

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For the son, if you know his size, a t-shirt from Old Navy or other well-known brand would be good. [Tommy, Gap, etc.] For the women - they love anything from Bath & Body Works - must be that specific store, my niece [she's 22] told me they don't sell it there and it's highly prized. Shower Gel is what I usually buy, you can also get a matching body lotion, sometimes they have sets on sale.

Reactions: FernieBee

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
T Shirt or Baseball Cap for the 19 year old - they are into Phat Farm and Ecko. Look at outlet stores I'm sure you will find something on sale.

Female Bath and Body Works set - shower gel and lotion set. I buy them all the time to bring down as gifts. The scents most dominicans love - Warm Vanilla Sugar, Moonlight Path and Cherry Blossom. Those are the best scents. Remember its hot down here and some of the other scents are too strong for the heat etc.

Good luck and enjoy your visit here in Santo Domingo.

dangerousdave

Feb 18, 2007
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will make my purchases this week. I am unsure about the types of "bags" that jrhartley mentioned though.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sportsbags and rucksacks -macho ones for men and mini pink ones for ladies - with american logos

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
On a more practical note - I always ask friends to bring down large discount bottles of Ibuphrophen and Benedryl and vitamins which are VERY expensive here. I wouldn't recommend t-shirts since the place is awash with cheap used clothing and baseball caps. If they live in an area which has blackouts (who doesn't?)- the headlamps with LED lights are GREAT- as well as plug-in rechargeable flashlights. I also treasure the little gift bags from Burt's Bees which are 100% natural cosmetics and make great gifts. And the rechargable batteries and battery recharger will save them lots of money in the long run. Sorry for being so practical.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.indiamart.com/bhawaniutensils/pca

I am traveling from USA to Santo Domingo soon and I want to take some small presents with me for my lady 40,
For the Lady Alumnium coffee pot She will be :speechles

Aluminum Coffee Pot Manufacturers & Suppliers

:ermm: or this for the Lady Rice pots
:speechles

Google Image Result for http://www.indiamart.com/bhawaniutensils/pcat-gifs/products-small/cookware.jpg

THE KIDS
ATT00011.gif

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wind Up Flashlight

Annie, reading your message reminded me of the gift that everyone ooohed and ahhhhed about the most. My husband brought down several LED flashlights that are powered by hand-cranking. Surprisingly bright, no batteries needed, holds the charge. My mother-in-law says she can't live without it - she keeps it next to her bed at night. They only cost about $8 each - but recently we found a 3-pack for $10.

Aug 19, 2004
"Why not just ask them what they would like?" That would seem to be the best advice - what may be wanted "generally" is not usually what the individual wants or needs.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The worst you can do is ask them what they want. You will be put in a corner. For all I know, Dominicans are greedy sonofabtchs. Next thing you know they'll ask you for a Blackberry Bold!! If I were you I would bring the cheapest things you can get that may look more than their price. Don't get your Dominican friends used to gifts. The day you don't bring them you're OUT! I agree...for young males bring some oversized Sean John or Rockawear urban T-shirts(not too fancy) and girls just bring accesories. Stay away from electronics and stuff that customs may take away for their own use. Never give cash. You may try for the whole familiy a folding Dominoes table with a dominoes set!!! Just kidding.
Golo