Jarabacoa from Santo Domingo, using Caribe Tours & Rancho Baiguate?

cerulean

Feb 6, 2009
My friend and I were looking to make a day trip out to Jarabacoa from Santo Domingo. We were thinking about traveling there via a Caribe Tours bus, but were concerned about time constraints as the earliest bus leaving Santo Domingo is at 7am. We wanted to either go rafting or canyoning through Rancho Baiguate, which would require us to be there by 9am. Would taking the Caribe Tours bus from SD allow us to reach Jarabacoa before 9am? I've read that the bus ride would range anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs (differing estimates based off of different sources). Also, is the Caribe stop in Jarabacoa close to (i.e. walking distance) the Rancho Baiguate location? If not, would it be fairly easy to find transportation options to there?

We also wanted to go horseback riding, hike, and explore the area further in the afternoon. However, I think the latest Caribe bus leaves Jarabacoa for SD at 4:30pm. Does it seem feasible for us to be able to do all that we want to do and be able to catch that bus?

I would appreciate any advice on using Caribe tours or on other transportation options (budget options, please!) that will work with our proposed activities. I got the Caribe bus times off of the website, so if they're actually different, please let me know. I'm utterly open to options outside of taking a Caribe bus (i.e. taking a gua-gua), I would just need more information to be able to plan things out a bit.

Also, would people recommend booking activities with Rancho Baiguate online? Is there any difference in price by booking online vs. waiting to book once we're in the Dominican Republic?

I'd also appreciate any advice on going rafting vs. canyoning, and on any other things to do / places to visit in Jarabacoa (the more adventurous, the better!).

Thank you!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You should be able to book a rafting excursion with transportation from SD included. They will pick you up at your hotel however early is needed to get there for the rafting. I don't know if Caribe Tours even goes to Jarabacoa from SD. I believe it is another company.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Caribe tours arrives in Jarabacoa at just before 10 am, taken it many times. It is about 15 min taxi ride to rancho baiguate. There will be taxi's at the bus station. Yes you should arrange whatever you are going to do ahead of time. Last bus leaves at 4:30 pm and goes directly to SD.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
You should think about staying one night in Jarabacoa, you can stay directly at Rancho Baiguate, the have nice little cabanas and meals included.

Caribe Tours goes directly to Jarabacoa and from there you can take a taxi or motoconcho (if you don?t carry a lot of luggage). It?s just a few minutes ride.

You can book most trips directly there at Rancho Baiguate, if you arrive there at about 10 to 11 in the morning you can get a trip for the afternoon.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Are there afternoon buses from Santo Domingo to Jarabacoa. I checked website and it's not working.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You need a night in Jarabacoa at least, you won't get much done or see the town, have a bite, see the people in a dash run from bus to raft to bus and back to sdq. You can find guest houses or hotels cheap enough if you do a search. You can get later coaches in from La Vega, and they'll run to La Vega later than direct to Jarabacoa. I think the latest one direct gets in about 7ish.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I'm going to stay at least 2 nights if not 3. Like above poster stated it sounds like it would be beneficial to stay at least one night. Hotel Pinar Dorado y Hotel Gran Jimenoa are two options. I've also read of a nice hostel with mosquito nets. I believes it called Jarabacoa Hostel. I was happy to find out that Caribe Bus tours have afternoon bus leaving from Santo Domingo.