Water Sports / Excursions around Boca Chica

cerulean

Feb 6, 2009
I'm traveling to the Dominican Republic for a week for the first time near the end of February. I'll be staying in Santo Domingo for the first half of the week, and then staying at Hotel Zapata in Boca Chica for the 2nd half of the week.

During our time in Boca Chica, my friends and I are primarily interested in water sports / other excursions. I would love to get any advice about good places to snorkel, taking a dive trip at Parque Nacional Sumbarino La Caleta, or making a day trip to Isla Saona or Isla Catalina. Any suggestions on where to book these excursions, approximate price estimates (i.e. <$50, >$50?), and whether the duration of the activities could be fit into a half day or are full day activities? (one person has an evening flight one day, and would like to know if any excursions could be fit into a half day / end by late afternoon).

Also, would people recommend going to Juan Dolio for a nicer beach? We booked Hotel Zapata since we wanted to be very close to the beach, but from scanning other threads on this forum, Boca Chica doesn't seem to have a great reputation.

Thank you!

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
I think if you stay in Boca Chica you should take a short bus ride to one of the beaches in the Juan Dolio area. They are really nice and quiet. In Boca Chica you have a hell of guys trying to sell stuff to you and it is not really relaxing hanging out at this beach.

For Saona/ Catalina you have to calculate a Full Day-Trip but I tell you: it?s worth it! I sent you a message, contact me for details if you want to.

A half day trip for diving or snorkeling is easy to get directly in Boca Chica. There are several places offering this kind of excursions.

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
we are in boca chica now, drop by the el candil and we can show you where too book the day trips, ya the vender,s are a bit of a pain but they will leave you alone after a while, lots of tourist here i was surprised with the way the eco. been see you,s soon

thomasLI

Feb 4, 2009
Hi,
I will be in the Boca Chica/ south coast area 2/25-3/2. I have been to this area several times and find that the various areas all offer somthing of value and excitment. Maybe I will see you there. Are you aware that the 27th is DR independence day? Night life will be steped up a bit! Enjoy...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
its a tiny beach....but playa caribe is reall nice. (especially if you like big waves and boogie boarding). its like ten mins from boca chica. If you like waves you will have fun