SW trip: opinion, advice, tips wanted

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
After a lot of reading in guide books and here, we have decided that we want to explore the SW coast/region on our next trip, and we want opinions regarding our agenda.

Our plan is to go the week after Easter and we have 4 days/3 nights and although we know that it might not be enough to scratch the surface, this is what we want to try to accommodate in that time (observe that the first day is actually a half day as it'll be the day we arrive to our hotel from SD):

- Lago Enriquillo
- Hoyo de Pelempito
- Bah?a de las ?guilas
- Cachote
- Las Caritas
- Polo Magn?tico

First question: can we see all this in the little time we have there and in what order? If not, what can we drop? We have a flexible schedule, although not as long as we wish it would be.

We're in the process of looking for car rentals but I've read that the deposit on booking is about 15,000 DR: is this true or gossip? We're not sure yet of if we should rent all the way from SD or rent from Barahona, as after this trip we're continuing to San Juan to visit my family (unfortunately non negotiable). Or better yet, can you recommend a driver/tour guide who could drive us around?

We have checked out Eco Tour Barahona but their prices are a little too expensive for our budget, considering that it's only 2 people (maybe 3).

Do we need to get any permit at Direcci?n Nacional de Parques to visit any of the sights above? We're not interested in camping as of now.

I have read in several recent to slightly old threads that the roads are OK for the most part but that to get to Bah?a de las ?guilas and Hoyo de Pelempito (and Cachote maybe?) we need a 4WD, is that still the case?

We'd like to overnight in Pedernales and then proceed to Hoyo de Pelempito and possibly Bah?a de las ?guilas (if we don't do that from Barahona) and continue towards Lago Enriquillo. Is this possible or should we go back to Barahona and head to the lake from there?

Anything else we're missing or that you think we should know is welcome.

TIA

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
SW Trip

If you have read the old posts on DR1 you saw some information that I posted. I asked the same question about a guide but recieved no replies. I ended up taking a taxi from Barahona to Hoyo Pelempito for $90 US (about $3200 pesos), plus we paid for the moto for the last few miles of bad road. The same trip on Ecotours would have been $140 US but would have been longer and included lunch. I like having the cab because there are a lot of beautifull places to stop along the road and we stopped many times. If you want the name/number for the cabbie PM me. That being said I have only heard good things about Ecotours so I may still use them in the future for inaccessable places. The latest Lonely Planet Guidebook(2008) says that the drivers of thier tours sometimes moonlight as private guides/drivers. My next trip out that way will also be in late April and I plan on renting a car from SDQ airport for 10 days from one of the major companies. It works out to about $28 US per day with a discount code and the CDW insurance coved by my credit card. You can PM me for details . If you are ambitious and get up early you could do both Hoyo Pelempito and Bahia De Aguillas in one day from Perdenales, depending how long you wanted to linger and what type of vehicle you have. I have never stayed in Perdenales. Try to take time to enjoy the beauty and people and try not to spend all your time rushing from place to place. Good luck and have fun.