Is UPS, FedEx, or DHL the best way to ship heavy items from the USA to the DR?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Is UPS, FedEx, or DHL the best way to ship heavy items from the USA to the DR? I am flying over to Santo Domingo next week but I need to find the most economical/practical way to get all my clothes, books, shoes, and some small items shipped to Santo Domingo. I think my clothes alone way almost 80 pounds. So, I say I would be shipping a total of about 120 to 150 pounds of my personal belongings to Santo Domingo. The last time I carried that much extra stuff on the airplane from Miami to Santo Domingo, the airline charged my an extra 250 dollars to fly a full set of a four piece luggage over there. I hear that FedEx is the best, but I do not know if they are the best for personal items that may weight between 50 to 150 pounds? Is United Parcel Service (UPS) reliable/dependable in Santo Domingo? I think it would be more money if American Airlines took all that stuff on the same airplane with me. I intend to try to stay in Santo Domigo permanently so I can attend the university there so I certainly want my most valuable/best clothes over there with me.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
I?ve been using Vimenpaq to ship heavy and or long boxes that I need fairly quick with good results. Last shipped a set of Thule cross bars and luggage carrier for about US$100 and got them 2 days later.

Vimenpaq

For stuff that doesn?t matter when it shows up, I use a standard door to door vessel shipper which is less expensive than using the air service of Vimenpaq. Shipped a couple of drums with odds and ends early in January and it hasn?t arrived yet. The good thing about this service is that generally weight doesn?t matter - so I stuff the containers heavy;)