The economy on the north shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
I'm sure that there has been some negative impact felt in the DR from the downturn of the American economy. What really stands out as a sure sign that this is going to be a rough road for the DR as well..if any.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm sure that there has been some negative impact felt in the DR from the downturn of the American economy. What really stands out as a sure sign that this is going to be a rough road for the DR as well..if any.
European economy, too...

Jan 17, 2009
In Cabarete some days it seems like it is low season. The beach pretty much empty during the day; restaurants with very few tables occupied in the evening (this prior to the torrential rains of the last week. Many hotels seem to be busy though, but it may be because the number of rooms in Cabarete decreased substantially with the closing of several large hotels last year. I own a small restaurant and I'm surprised that some people as for a breakfast or dinner to share. Tips are at very low, actually causing a lot of problems with change. It used to be that people would leave the coins in their change at the very least. Now many tourists even take a 5 peso change. I ran out of change constantly (500 pesos in small change lasted two days!!).

People have been complaining also about the increase in entry and exit taxes at the airport, which is minimal in proportion to the total cost of travel. The depreciation of the Euro and other European currencies (mainly Scandinavian) against the dollar has made it very expensive for many to consider the DR now.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
if people are sharing you are either giving them too much or the price is too high

I wouldn't be so quick to say that, jr. The financial and economic crisis in the U.S. and Europe is devastating and getting worse. The situation will not leave the DR, north coast or south, adversely unaffected!

Jan 17, 2009
No, jrhartley. You're definitely wrong. My prices are moderate (you could even say low for Cabarete standards), and our plates are just normal (except for pasta, I can't just get my cook to serve a smaller portions). Besides, my observations are made on what's happening this season compared to the past two seasons.

Ron is correct. People are hurting worldwide and you can't expect that tourism won't be affected here. Imagine if an extra 10 bucks in airport taxes is a deterrent for some people to come. What is that? 1-3% of the cost of the air ticket?

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
count on a very, very slow business revenu for at least 12 months.Than even if the USA economy stop diving after the 12 months, counte on an extra 12 months for the waves to get to the Dr.People around the world lost so much money that ,it's going to take them some time to replinish their account before thinking about new spending.So the DR IS going to sink in the dark side for at least 2 years.Unless there is a serious price ajustment on goods ,housing and high return from CD to encourage foreign investors. But it's not going to happen because the ruling class is to greedy to lower the prices of goods .
Stay put and wait, wait , and wait!!!!!

M

Markf128

This whole thing with the world economy is scary. Here in the states, things are not well at all. Many people are losing their jobs each month and the Republicans in the US Congress are not helping the situation with their egotism. Some people just don’t Fcking get it. Anyway, I hope you right and it only takes 12 months for things to improve not only in the DR but everywhere else. In the states, economists are talking of a 3 year period before things get better if the messy US economy is addressed appropriately.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
It will be chaotic for countries like the DR who depend on the tourist dollar to survive, let alone the added impact that their families or loved ones at some point will become unable to send them any money... or worse come home like the man in the article I posted.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
If the businesses involved in the tourist industry in the DR are smart and keep prices low they will continue to attract US and European visitors. If they insist on increasing prices and continuing the recent trend attempting to appeal to high income tourists they will fail. It's going to be difficult regardless, but it will be catastrophic for the DR if people do not adjust thier perspective to the real economic situation that the world is facing today, and will likely face for several years to come. It will be a long while before disposable inicomes reach the levels of previous years.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
What scares me most, is that key persons (Eg: in the government) or organizations don't see or flat out refuse to see the writings on the wall.
I have seen that attitude and it's disastrous results in Spain (starting 2003-04) and we've seen it to a certain extent in the US and Britain. But here, it's like some few, who had access to some education really are into wanting to believe the DR is not part of "global".

You've ever seen Donald Duck run over a cliff and still run out in the air for a while until he realizes he has no solid ground under his feet anymore... and "zong". Well, that's what happens.

I am in Palm Beach (Florida) right now for a few weeks. I used to live there for 6 years. It all looks beautiful, people with almost new cars, all new homes and fancy developments... you would ask yourself what's all the yapping about that economy being so bad about... and then, you go into a mall like the Palm Beach Lakes mall, and find that 80% of the stores are vacated or plain abandoned (yes, closed with the merchandise left inside), and the other ones trying to liquidate before meeting the same faith. Well, it's just stores... a mall going down... but it's jobs and self employed folks running out of jobs and/or income. While it still looks quite tranquil here, this is big and getting bigger and it will have a Domino effect onto the DR in many ways.

Ask some real estate agents in Puerto Plata how many transactions they've actually closed each month in the last months. Some, I don't know how they pay for food.
Remesas from Dominicans abroad supporting their families in the DR with a couple of hundred Dollars each month are getting scarse as they are the first finding themselves on the street when jobs are few.
Tourism is taking a big hit and it's only the beginning. When you couple that with the fear that reduced income to DR families may raise crime in the DR... it will adversely affect what's left of tourism.

It's a global crisis, and the DR is in the midst of "Global" with nowhere to hide.

... J-D.

Reactions: mike l

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
People are hurting worldwide and you can't expect that tourism won't be affected here. Imagine if an extra 10 bucks in airport taxes is a deterrent for some people to come. What is that? 1-3% of the cost of the air ticket?

The new tax is a total of $5.00 USD, not $10.00. $2.50 in and $2.50 out.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
sharing

we wood go to a rest. all the time and share. couple in 50 s and always share wife doesnt eat much we shouldnt share?? tip sure if service is good not just for service.. i thought this was good for the rest. we came back all the time. its good to see people in enjoying .. i did stop the drinking of beer at rest. esp higher priced ones. too much taxes and then tips... the portions were large and more than enough for two. we always felt welcomed and we were glad .

Jan 17, 2009
My comment on sharing a food plate was meant as unusual not unwelcome. It was meant to show that people are more cautious in their spending. Surely, many people don't eat as much and would share a plate, but that is not common, yet we see the sharing of a single drink and a plate of food.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
well well well

i was all set to buy in sosua a couple of years ago. house that wanted 380k now asking 175k. and it seemed a little high because it was in need of sprucing and some repairs. probably still for sale... its a hard sell here. pay all cash or pay thru the nose interest. buy a house for 250 thats not worth it. a concrete box built with the cheapest labor in this hemisp. some cheap plastic tubing holding some wires. water and lights that r off and on. you have to really want to be here... police that dont investigate, factories closing, its a great place. but we have to remember that u.s. dont like it here. they might like the all inclusive places fun in the sun. but they are all over.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
What scares me most, is that key persons (Eg: in the government) or organizations don't see or flat out refuse to see the writings on the wall.
I have seen that attitude and it's disastrous results in Spain (starting 2003-04) and we've seen it to a certain extent in the US and Britain. But here, it's like some few, who had access to some education really are into wanting to believe the DR is not part of "global".

... J-D.

A few days ago I was talking to my British friend, who now lives in Spain, about this very issue, and when I mentioned how scary it is that those in government here refuse to see the writings on the wall, he just laughed and said thats the same song the Spanish government sang and still singing...thinking they are so 'different' and seperate from Europe and the world and therefore immune from the problems affecting the global economy.

I know about 7 Dominicans in different areas of the tourism industry and they ALL are all rightfully worried (some have closed shop or been let go from jobs), because as much as the government and other key figures want to live in denial about this issue and make crazy projections and sparkly claims about stability and growth...those on the ground feel and see the reality and it is already not looking good.

I agree its only the begining.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I just want to jump in here real quick to reiterate, all though things are bad and will no doubt get worse, if those involved in the DR tourist industry are prudent, and do not kill the goose that layed the golden egg with over priced, inflated accommodations and prices, they can withstand the storm, and come out on the other end in one piece. If they do not, they will fail, and the DR economy, which is still largely dependent on the tourism industry, will suffer a melt down that they have not witnessed in a generation. The global economic crisis is real and is no joke! Those that insist on denial and have thier head stuck in the sand are doomed for catastrophic failure. Catastrophie is not inevitable, however. Things can and should be done now to avert or lessen a most serious problem.

Mar 2, 2008
"Speaking of which, where are Pichardo and Nals?"

The last time I saw them they had their heads in the sand while wearing rose-colored glasses.

Apparently, they wanted to make what they couldn't see look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.