I met a guy in Samana

joyterrell1

Feb 18, 2008
I am so sorry to hear about your experience!!! I was in DR about a month and a half ago. Had a wonderful time in Samana. I had great food, went swimming, got tan, made friends etc. 2 days before I left I went dancing w/ some dominican friends at a local disco and I met really cute guy that didn't come on to me at all. In fact he asked my friend to dance-not me. I danced w/ a bunch of other people too and then we found ourselves on the dancefloor after we had both finished dancing w/ other people. long story short-he asked me to dance and we had a blast. he thought I was with one of the guys that I came with, so he didn't push it but said he wanted to see me the next day. When we were all leaving, he saw me say goodby to the guy he thought I was with. We then exchaged numbers in my car.

Anyway we had a really great next 2 days. I went home and he calls me almost every other day. When his phone card runs out I call him back for a while.Of cours ther is the te quiero mucho, te amo, quiero ver te. I like him. I was going to go back in a couple months.

My mom is over there now on vacation, and she has met his family and he has taker her out almost everyday to do things. My mom likes his family, but thinks he is immature- he's 35 years old. She says he is late a lot--I explained that is dominican style sometimes.

Then she told me that when they left Samana and went to las terrenas that when they were on the 4x4 he was wavig to girls. I think this is a little odd considering he was with my mom!!Maybe that is dominican way too. I speak spanish pretty well, but his english is very limited.

He is a bus driver at a hotel and a bell hop/handles luggage. He has 3 kids all from the same mon --who he is not married to. She works in the capital and come every 1-3 months to see kids--she sends money too his mom to help. Is it all sounding worse and worse. He says they are not together.Who knows?
We talk about the future, and he wants tobe together. I tell him we need time to get to know eachother. He mentioned getting married in a year. I said whoa! He's very hot and sweet, but I need to know him better. As an american woman I know that I have a lot to offer and that I'm cute, but I also know that because of this--a "use job" cold be in the making.

I have a home in the u.s and I work hard as a realtor and do for myself. I can't, and don't want to be supporting someone for years. I know that he is a hard worker, but I have doubts about him making it here right away--Maybe I'm wrong.

I really do like him, but I also do not know him very well. I'm a little older than him, but I look pretty young for my age-not that young though. I think of the future,and need to assess what is really right for me .

I really fell in love with the DR, and I want to make sure that my feelings for him aren't just the intoxification of the warm sand and coconut water elixor.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I really fell in love with the DR, and I want to make sure that my feelings for him aren't just the intoxification of the warm sand and coconut water elixor.

Before you head out for another trip to see him please read everything in this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-...ant-info-if-youre-relationship-dominican.html

Keep in mind that a lot of Dominican couples are common-law. Be wise, don't fall for charm. It's very expensive, not just financially but emotionally.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Maybe you should start your own thread ???

I am so sorry to hear about your experience!!! I was in DR about a month and a half ago. Had a wonderful time in Samana. I had great food, went swimming, got tan, made friends etc. 2 days before I left I went dancing w/ some dominican friends at a local disco and I met really cute guy that didn't come on to me at all. In fact he asked my friend to dance-not me. I danced w/ a bunch of other people too and then we found ourselves on the dancefloor after we had both finished dancing w/ other people. long story short-he asked me to dance and we had a blast. he thought I was with one of the guys that I came with, so he didn't push it but said he wanted to see me the next day. When we were all leaving, he saw me say goodby to the guy he thought I was with. We then exchaged numbers in my car.

Anyway we had a really great next 2 days. I went home and he calls me almost every other day. When his phone card runs out I call him back for a while.Of cours ther is the te quiero mucho, te amo, quiero ver te. I like him. I was going to go back in a couple months.

My mom is over there now on vacation, and she has met his family and he has taker her out almost everyday to do things. My mom likes his family, but thinks he is immature- he's 35 years old. She says he is late a lot--I explained that is dominican style sometimes.

Then she told me that when they left Samana and went to las terrenas that when they were on the 4x4 he was wavig to girls. I think this is a little odd considering he was with my mom!!Maybe that is dominican way too. I speak spanish pretty well, but his english is very limited.

He is a bus driver at a hotel and a bell hop/handles luggage. He has 3 kids all from the same mon --who he is not married to. She works in the capital and come every 1-3 months to see kids--she sends money too his mom to help. Is it all sounding worse and worse. He says they are not together.Who knows?
We talk about the future, and he wants tobe together. I tell him we need time to get to know eachother. He mentioned getting married in a year. I said whoa! He's very hot and sweet, but I need to know him better. As an american woman I know that I have a lot to offer and that I'm cute, but I also know that because of this--a "use job" cold be in the making.

I have a home in the u.s and I work hard as a realtor and do for myself. I can't, and don't want to be supporting someone for years. I know that he is a hard worker, but I have doubts about him making it here right away--Maybe I'm wrong.

I really do like him, but I also do not know him very well. I'm a little older than him, but I look pretty young for my age-not that young though. I think of the future,and need to assess what is really right for me .

just a suggestion....

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
a little older?? like by how much???

and if his initials start with a ...anywhere from (A-Z) he's a sanky!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What is it with women that they cannot just have fun without immediately thinking about long term relationships and such...If you like him that much why can't you just go down there (pun intended) and spend time with him, enjoy your time, have all the fun, sex, sun, dancing, etc...you want and just come back to your life. If over time (many years from now) you decide that you still like him that much then maybe you can embark on a serious relationship.

BTW the waving to girls could have been just people (friends) he knows. No need to read much into that, but like I said above why is there a need for a serious relationship...he can just be a fcuk buddy...I know, I know it's all about the feelings for the women...and that's why so many get taken.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
What is it with women that they cannot just have fun without immediately thinking about long term relationships

suarezn,

I know you meant "some" women !! Cuz i do what you suggest!! with the pun intended...or emmm.. i mean fun intended!! ehehe!!!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
.......When his phone card runs out I call him back for a while.Of cours ther is the te quiero mucho, te amo, quiero ver te. I like him. I was going to go back in a couple months.

That's level 1, level 2 is my brother was injured in an accident, I want to go to the University but I can't enroll without x thousand of pesos and enrollment closes next tuesday etc.

Level 3 is my tio, tio madre [fill in the blank] has cancer and will die without (very expensive) treament.....

try almost always

Danger!! Danger!! Pull up!! Pull up!!

YOU know! You've isolated the symptoms..

It's the intoxification. If you marry him the metaphor becomes a leg hold trap and you will have to gnaw your leg off to get free.

Once free your bank accounts will be empty, your business will be tits up and you will be just another gringa who qualifies for the one legged bachata.

Go back have, have fun and avoid him like the plague. Stay in another resort or even another part of the country. There is so much variety to enjoy.

Don't throw your life away for a bell hop. :hurt::cross-eye:dead:

How many bus drivers or bell hops have you dated at home?

Ya tu sabes. Oiste? ;)

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You are OLDER than him? I'm sorry but as I was reading your post, I thought you were maybe 17 or 18.
But I digress, honey, es duro estar sola...yo lo se...but you know what is coming so you just have to ask yourself if it is worth it.
I mean, sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.
And only you can answer that question
SHALENA

Mar 2, 2008
"I want to make sure that my feelings for him aren't just the intoxification of the warm sand and coconut water elixor."

Give me a break. You know what it is, and it isn't the coco water.

What exactly is the attraction anyway? Is it the commonality of your life-styles? Your love of the same literature perhaps? The long, deep, and complex conversations?

Come on, be honest with yourself at least. The only thing you have in common is sex. Keep it at that level and you'll be fine. If you try to define it in some abstract North American terms you are not only a fool, but a fool who deserves to get fleeced, which is exactly what's going to happen.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Wow, okay honestly I know they are smooth sweet talkers but run run like Forest did !!

I think you have gotten a few signs already take it as fun or just have fun when you go on vacation and leave it at that. He's probably still with his kids mother and just telling you he's not. If he wants to be married in 1 year he wants to get out of the DR, what's the rush anyhow.

If you don't run at least take it really slow and get to know him visit the DR often and go into this with your eyes WIDE OPENED!! If he really was serious there would be no rush to get married besides you would have to live there to be with him since he can't leave.

Please be careful and read all the posts on this site so if you do want to try this, you can at least go into this with some idea of how a lot of these men work.

You will save yourself the heartache and empty bank account if you just run.

Good luck seriously !!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
"I want to make sure that my feelings for him aren't just the intoxification of the warm sand and coconut water elixor."
Your love of the same literature perhaps? The long, deep, and complex conversations?

That's it! They both love Sanskrit poetry! Or is it Urdu drama?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Here is a foolproof formula to help you figure this out.

Sit down with a piece of paper and an pen.

Make four columns.

Column One-Write down everything this Dominican would stand to gain from marriage with you, including visa, citizenship, future sponsorship for his kids and his Dominican wife, financial assistance to his family from his employment in the US and percentage of your assets and alimony when divorced.

Column Two-Write down what you think your everyday life is going to be like living with a semi-literate man/child from a latin machista society who considers women second-class citizens and who also thinks the streets in your country are paved in gold.

Also compare work/education experiences and ask yourself would you consider dating someone of equal social and educational standing where you live. If unsure, you can make a test run at it and have Guillermo, the Mexican who delivers your chinese food, move in with you. Living with your sanky will be like living with Guillermo minus the work ethic.

Column Three-Write down everything you stand to lose in a divorce settlement, including all fees and expenses for trips, the marriage and visa paperwork and any property and loss of credit from your spouse abusing your credit cards, non-payment of car loan, etc.

Take columns one and three and compare them. If it seems as if the Dominican has much more to gain from this romance than you do and regardless you still want to marry him, then write this in Column Four-

I ALREADY DID THE MATH AND HAVE IT ON PAPER-I THEREFORE DESERVE EVERYTHING I GET IF THIS BLOWS UP IN MY FACE.

Reactions: Celt202
Mar 2, 2008
"Living with your sanky will be like living with Guillermo minus the work ethic."

Priceless!

One of the best lines I've seen in awhile. I might have to steal it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
another story out of Samana ?
prostitutes, sankies ??? what's going on over there ?? :paranoid:

?

? bient?t

Here is a foolproof formula to help you figure this out.

Sit down with a piece of paper and an pen.

Make four columns.

Column One-Write down everything this Dominican would stand to gain from marriage with you, including visa, citizenship, future sponsorship for his kids and his Dominican wife, financial assistance to his family from his employment in the US and percentage of your assets and alimony when divorced.

Column Two-Write down what you think your everyday life is going to be like living with a semi-literate man/child from a latin machista society who considers women second-class citizens and who also thinks the streets in your country are paved in gold.

Also compare work/education experiences and ask yourself would you consider dating someone of equal social and educational standing where you live. If unsure, you can make a test run at it and have Guillermo, the Mexican who delivers your chinese food, move in with you. Living with your sanky will be like living with Guillermo minus the work ethic.

Column Three-Write down everything you stand to lose in a divorce settlement, including all fees and expenses for trips, the marriage and visa paperwork and any property and loss of credit from your spouse abusing your credit cards, non-payment of car loan, etc.

Take columns one and three and compare them. If it seems as if the Dominican has much more to gain from this romance than you do and regardless you still want to marry him, then write this in Column Four-

I ALREADY DID THE MATH AND HAVE IT ON PAPER-I THEREFORE DESERVE EVERYTHING I GET IF THIS BLOWS UP IN MY FACE.

Right out of NALs's "Quicken" Soup for the Binary Soul.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003

I bet he'll try to put in on your mother, too (if he hasn't already).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The gringo/as have arrived!

another story out of Samana ?
prostitutes, sankies ??? what's going on over there ?? :paranoid:

Let the games begin! Pretty soon they'll have the putas with no panties sitting on the tables at the beach restaurants on Sunday afternoon -just like in LT.....

Next will come the crack houses.

I think that enclosing tourists in the AI's might be a really good idea - to protect the Dominicans from the foreigners!

joyterrell1

Feb 18, 2008
Oh my God--I am still laughing--Haven't laughed this hard and long for a very looooonnnnng time!! I have never met so many sarcastic, pessimistic, sidesplittingly funny, people in my life. Well, you're right. He has a hot, hard body that could go for days--maybe years! He does use a lot of sweet, sexy words and we do have long, meaningful conversations about what he wants to do with me,to me, and for me when we meet again. Way to rack up the phone card minutes!

Well, I didn't just fall off the banana boat yesterday, but I did land on a pretty good banana. Now, I like the advice about just having fun, keeping my eyes wide open, and watching for any unusual activity on my credit cards--especially my own.

However, I'm torn between that and just forgetting him and moving onto my next "victim". Maybe you're right --They should be protected from us. Who am I to go around flaunting my first-world tush in front of these illiterate, steamy, passionate, verbally expressive men with skills like I haven't seen in years--If ever. I guess I am a real bitch after all. Hmmm, never thought of myself like that before, but I guess it's high time.
I plan to stop my sniveling and my wonderment as to whether or not his love is true. How could it be. I look at him and see stars. he looks at me and sees a cash cow. What else could it be, but the horizontal Mamba.

I guess it's just that school girl fantasy that keeps alluding me. Yes Virginia, there really is a good, hot, sexy man out there for you who wants to eat every inch of your body, father your child, actually make a good living and not screw your sister behind back.
Yes, I would love to believe that these men exist. I would also love to believe that men want me for more that just my incredible looks and the fact that I have a U.S. passport. How Can I ever know for sure whether her really likes me for the unique human being that I am (quirky, comical, round in all the right places, smart as a whip) or if he just wants to ride across the ocean on my back, sleep with my sister(or mother) and ruin my credit? What is a girl to do? Gracias por todo mis amores!!