Boca Chica hotel advice

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
I am coming to Boca Chica next week for a few nights, myself (female) and my 2year old daughter. I would like to stay somewhere that's walking distance to beach, restaurants, shopping, etc.. Price range of $50-$70 per night. I have been reading threads, and had decided on the Zapata, but just read that there is really nothing around there. And now I just can't make up my mind. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
Thank you for the response, Kyle. El Candil is on my list, although the 3 blocks uphill back from the beach is my only concern (with the kid). :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
the hill is a killer! I love candil tho. THe staff is the best. WHen i get there i just flop on the bed and say "i am home!!!!"

I am sure you can piggy back the kid up the hill. The hill is actually only one block (but steep). (the first two blocks by the beach are flat). If the kid is in a stroller then it wont be all that tough.

My friends like the Do Emilio (i think it is an AI tho..which i dont like)...but that is right on the beach..but it is kinda close to the hooker bar (but i doubt you will be bringing the kid out at that time of night).

I'd choose candil and just bring a stroller for the hill.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've heard good reports about the Hotel Garant although i never stayed there. it's closer to the main street and probably a bit noisy at night.

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
Thanks for the help.. I have decided to give Hotel Garant a try.
I'll let y'all know about my experience there later.

Thanks again! :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Thanks for the help.. I have decided to give Hotel Garant a try.
I'll let y'all know about my experience there later.

Thanks again! :)

Ok..but garant is still up the hill you know? but only about 2/3 way up. It looks nice enough.

MBTS

Jan 28, 2009
Thank you for the response, Kyle. El Candil is on my list, although the 3 blocks uphill back from the beach is my only concern (with the kid). :)

Not a major uphill walk for a 2 year old. I'm a dad and I wouldn't have any problem staying at the Candil. Besure to get a suite for 56 dollars. It is secure as stated and the staff is very, very nice. Across the street is a little store to buy sweets and soda. This is my report on the hotel, however there is no way in hell I would ever take a kid to this town. Too many prostitutes and nothing worthwhile for a family holiday...if your not Dominican.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Not a major uphill walk for a 2 year old. I'm a dad and I wouldn't have any problem staying at the Candil. Besure to get a suite for 56 dollars. It is secure as stated and the staff is very, very nice. Across the street is a little store to buy sweets and soda. This is my report on the hotel, however there is no way in hell I would ever take a kid to this town. Too many prostitutes and nothing worthwhile for a family holiday...if your not Dominican.

well...i hardly think the OP will be hanging out on calle duarte at night. A few years ago i would agree with you...the hookers were everywhere...i doubt the OP will have any problems and i am sure the 2 year old will not catch on to the hookers.

The beach itself has become quite family friendly over the past few years. I just recommend, while at the beach...to go to the end away from the hamaca...less less crowded...and is very kid friendly. I always enjoy watching the tourist kids playing with the local kids by the water. Language does not seem to be a barier.

Make the most of your trip! no..its not the prettiest beach in the carib...but it is still kinda fun.

To the OP...please check in and give us a trip report when you get back!

(i still recommend Candil)