Continental plane down outside Buffalo, NY. All killed!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Our 2 1/2 year run without a fatal accident on a US commercial aircraft is unfortunately over. A Continental Express plane (operated by Colgan Air) from Newark crashed into a residence upon approach to Buffalo-Niagara International Airport. All the cable news channels are showing an absolutely horrific inferno on the ground. Witnesses are reporting the plane was on fire before impact. Pray for those poor people's souls :cry:

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Unofficial is all 45 passengers, the 2 pilots, the lone flight attendant, and at least one on the ground.=49

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
About a mile from my house in Clarence, ... we heard it coming in and it didn't sound right. Very sad indeed. Amazing though for the size of the plane and the area, that it didn't take out more than one house.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
very sad indeed

anyone know if Dominicans were on board?

tx

May 5, 2007
Could you explain

"and it didn't sound right"

Many other people have reported the same thing and it is perplexing as initial reports suggest icing, but that should not cause a "funny sound" other than an unusual altitude or overworking the engines to maintain flight

About a mile from my house in Clarence, ... we heard it coming in and it didn't sound right. Very sad indeed. Amazing though for the size of the plane and the area, that it didn't take out more than one house.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Icing vs Plane

Yes, I agree, very perplexing. Other planes in the area reported icing, and it was still fairly windy out at that time. A couple of nieghbors actually went outside before the crash due to the sound the plane was making. Saw (didn't get the link) an article printed in Time from 2007 (? I think) about this type of turbo-prop plane.

May 5, 2007
Sound?

Hi Laura

This "sound" thing intrigues me, can you describe it?

Usually when one references a "sputtering" sound in referring to a plane or automobile it is a mis firing engine, but the 400 being a Turbo Prop discounts this

I have heard reports of the plane being flown with one wind down, this suggest several possibilities: Asymmetrical thrust from malfunctioning engine on one wing, ice build up greater on one side (Highly unusual unless problem with de ice equipment, don't know enough about plane to comment) flap problems.

The only "sputtering sound" I can even remotely think of would be ice build up on the props causing a strange sound as they struggle to cut pull air, again I don't know enough about plane type

Can you give any description of the "sound?"
Yes, I agree, very perplexing. Other planes in the area reported icing, and it was still fairly windy out at that time. A couple of nieghbors actually went outside before the crash due to the sound the plane was making. Saw (didn't get the link) an article printed in Time from 2007 (? I think) about this type of turbo-prop plane.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I was horrified to see this on the news this morning. My heart goes out to the family and friends of those who perished and to the small community in which this tragedy happened. I was just watching the news here in Toronto and it has been confirmed that there was 1 Canadian on board....a man from Fort Erie. Many Canadians use the Buffalo airport and even I was comtemplating on flying out of Buffalo for my next trip to Punta Cana.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
I?m used to the sound of larger planes, having lived very close to take-off/landing paths at Toronto airport. The noise of this plane stood out because 1) recently moved to the U.S and not really used to hearing that many prop planes 2) considering the noise from the wind outside, this plane sounded very loud.

At first, I would have described it as sputtering but now I?m not sure. I?ve probably played it over too many times in my head. Just before impact though it seemed like I couldn't hear the plane anymore, then a few seconds later was impact

Here is a link to an article with more info on the ?type? of plane.

The Buffalo Crash: The Weather or the Plane?

May 5, 2007
Hi Lauraffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Your statement that the plane sounded really loud adds a new twist as the 400 Q (Q) is for quiet is one of the quietest turboprops flying. If he were on a controlled final, the engines would have been throttled back and props turning slowly at pitch.
Should be interesting, I am reasonable sure icing, possibly inexperience of pilots in emergency maneuvers and departure from controlled flight will be the result of the crash, what led to icing will be the interesting story

The fact the plane went almost vertical into one house instead of a so called "Strafing approach" would indicate a stall, flat spin and impact

Back to the "Strange sound," I was thinking a Turbo Prop flaming out and re igniting could cause a sound you never likely heard, but this would be very loud "bangs" and I'm not ever sure a Civilian Turbo can do rapid re starts

I’m used to the sound of larger planes, having lived very close to take-off/landing paths at Toronto airport. The noise of this plane stood out because 1) recently moved to the U.S and not really used to hearing that many prop planes 2) considering the noise from the wind outside, this plane sounded very loud.

At first, I would have described it as sputtering but now I’m not sure. I’ve probably played it over too many times in my head. Just before impact though it seemed like I couldn't hear the plane anymore, then a few seconds later was impact

Here is a link to an article with more info on the ‘type’ of plane.

The Buffalo Crash: The Weather or the Plane?

SuzyQ

Aug 15, 2006
The relevance being that from Buffalo to DR. Our flight in April is Buffalo to Newark to POP and the return is the opposite. I looked up the reservations and we are booked on that flight #.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The relevance being that from Buffalo to DR. Our flight in April is Buffalo to Newark to POP and the return is the opposite. I looked up the reservations and we are booked on that flight #.
Is this THE SuzyQ as in Paradise Hotel about 8/9 years ago??

Welcome back if it is - how is the 'GROUP' I met then getting on? (if NOT the same SuzyQ, please disregard this & pass on to collect your CDn $200 as you go through 'GO')!! ~ Grahame.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

Wishing you a safe trip!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Still

It is still just a connection among hundreds to Newark to catch Continental flight to POP -- but whatever.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
It's revelant because SuzyQ and many others that travel to the DR fly out of Buffalo. Lots of Canadians fly out of Buffalo because of the savings. And I'm contemplating flying out of Buffalo for my next trip to Punta Cana.