Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Juan Dolio....best for 4 months?

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
Hello everyone. As many on this board, I am looking at a long term stay in DR. I have learned much from reading over the past 5 years...rent, don't buy, try it on before you commit to live here, be careful whom you make friends with, know some Spanish....etc. Such helpful information, thank you!

I have visited 10 times (Puerto Plata/Cabarete/Sosua and Punta Cana). Due to health conditions, I wish to bring my 15 yr old daughter for at least 4 months next winter (to get away from our extreme Canadian cold weather).

Question: Although I had more or less settled on Puerto Plata for our adventure, I am looking through threads and see things about Punta Cana and Juan Dolio that interest me. Any comments on any of those places as suitable for a 40 something Mom and 15 year old daughter....would like to meet both expats and locals, learn more Spanish, volunteer with education related causes (will not need employment) and enjoy the culture and beaches.
My background is in education/human resources and music.

Thank you in advance for your comments! The more info the better!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hello everyone. As many on this board, I am looking at a long term stay in DR. I have learned much from reading over the past 5 years...rent, don't buy, try it on before you commit to live here, be careful whom you make friends with, know some Spanish....etc. Such helpful information, thank you!

I have visited 10 times (Puerto Plata/Cabarete/Sosua and Punta Cana). Due to health conditions, I wish to bring my 15 yr old daughter for at least 4 months next winter (to get away from our extreme Canadian cold weather).

Question: Although I had more or less settled on Puerto Plata for our adventure, I am looking through threads and see things about Punta Cana and Juan Dolio that interest me. Any comments on any of those places as suitable for a 40 something Mom and 15 year old daughter....would like to meet both expats and locals, learn more Spanish, volunteer with education related causes (will not need employment) and enjoy the culture and beaches.
My background is in education/human resources and music.

Thank you in advance for your comments! The more info the better!

Hi there,
I live in Juan Dolio and have kids ranging from 3,5 to 14 years. Life is pretty good here. Will your daughter attend school here? Where're you're going to stay?
Where are you from in Canada, I used to live in Edmonton
If you have some specific questions I'll be more than happy to answer them and you can always send me a PM.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Those are 3 very different places!!! I am sure you will hear from people who live in PC and PP. I live in JD! Although I have visited - briefly - the other 2 areas.

Juan Dolio is both quieter (much) and smaller (much) than PC and PP. It has fewer tourists and ex pats although there are some. There is a lot of construction going on. It has a lovely beach and is close to San pedro where you can buy most things you need, and of course only 45 minutes from the Capital. To be honest there would not be much for a 15 year old girl to do apart from sunbathe, dive and horseride. Also most of our sankies have left as the number of available tourists have declined!!!

Weather is normally dry in the winter and as it is the Caribbean sea it is usually calm. I would say this is the quietest of your three options but whilst it is officially a tourist area it more and more has the feel of a small local town.

Matilda

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
Anyone from Punta Cana or Puerto Plata have any advice for me? Thank you to Frank and Matilda from Juan Dolio.

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Punta Cana is mostly A/I's and really doesn't offer much for long term housing options, unless you want to live in the Batey......I would pm MikeFisher, he has ALL the answers for you.