El Metro

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
There is a degree of bias in the article. Just like any other city with a train system, I am sure there are certain hours of the day when some stations are not going to be busy. There were deceptions about the studies and it was opened a year later, but the damn thing is finished and so far working. That being said I still wished the money was spent on education and health care.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
De Leon is right. However, the change from the old way to the new way will take some time. There is no "subway culture" here..it will take years to develop.
Yes, this is a major boondoggle, very pretty, very modern and extremely costly. So costly that we will never, ever see just how much it will cost by December 2009...
Has anyone ever put numbers to paper and worked out how many per hour in order to get 200,000 per day (12 hour day more or less)???? i don't think it works out...
HB

Aug 19, 2004
"the change from the old way to the new way will take some time." It will take time because unless you want to go from Villa Mella to somewhere south it isn't a great deal of use.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hm, something doesn't add up.

Osiris de Le?n says that on the 9th of Feb the Metro was deserted, and yet on Diario Libre on that same day this was published:

Usuarios del metro dejan de pasar penurias en "voladoras"

And this was published on the 4th of Feb:

Apertura del Metro reduce ingresos choferes del concho

Who to believe?

Osiris once said the tunnels would flood every time it rains due to shoddy construction. A religious person would swear it was an act of God, because not long after he made that comment a couple of tropical storms dumped so much water on Santo Domingo that the streets became lakes and rivers but the Metro was dry as a bone. He said the tunnels would collapse but he forgot that the Metro tunnels are not the first tunnels ever built in the DR. T the Luperon highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata has a tunnel that is probably the oldest one on the island and its still holding, despite hurricanes, earthquakes, heat waves, and who knows what else! If that old thing still stands, so too will tunnels built with modern engineering techniques and design. He said the elevated part was badly done (not!), and a host of other things that was more hot air than anything else.

On a side note, look how much money the government wasted last year on the electricity deficit:

...en el a?o 2008 el Gobierno tuvo que destinar m?s de US$740 millones s?lo para cubrir el d?ficit de las empresas distribuidoras...

Wow. How much did the Metro cost?

Aha, exactly!

At least the Metro is a solution to a problem, the subsidies to the electricity monopoly is NOT! Its best if the people who oppose the Metro due to its cost would rather take all that energy and oppose the energy subsidies. They have costs Dominicans a fortune that could had been invested in other more pressing problems and demand for everyone to pay their electric bills!

Read the full story here: SUPERINTENDENTE ELECTRICIDAD ASEGURA INICIO APLICACI?N DE LEY 186-07 QUE PENALIZA FRAUDE ELECTRICO.

-NALs :cheeky:

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Bingo? You thought it was going to be the other epic strategist, didn't you? :cheeky:;)

i guess you are right by assuming the he assumed I would guess ...
ha ha
Louis,
what the heck is a 'plumifero'???

and btw,
my Q about the numbers of paying customers riding the Metro been anyways not meant in anyway offensive against the Metro NAL's, i just til today did not find any article about it and i would like to know how the reality ranges about the 'expected' 200.000 paid rides per day.
and i do not repeat my maths from the other posts which show very clear that the 200.000 PAYING daily customers would not pay even half of what's needed to run that lil train.
i just would be interested in a bit of knowledge about the "trend".
a top of the line fully computerized running toy should spit out such a number/stat any moment the admin of that toy wanna know about it.
don't they wanna know or don't they wanna let US know???
Mike

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i guess you are right by assuming the he assumed I would guess ...
ha ha
Louis,
what the heck is a 'plumifero'???

and btw,
my Q about the numbers of paying customers riding the Metro been anyways not meant in anyway offensive against the Metro NAL's, i just til today did not find any article about it and i would like to know how the reality ranges about the 'expected' 200.000 paid rides per day.
and i do not repeat my maths from the other posts which show very clear that the 200.000 PAYING daily customers would not pay even half of what's needed to run that lil train.
a top of the line fully computerized running toy should spit out such a number/stat any moment the admin of that toy wanna know about it.
Mike
Why would you think I was responding to your question?

You should know that data is made public on certain intervals of time, in some cases its monthly, but in most cases its done quarterly.

The Metro is not even a month old as far as its full operation is concerned.

-NALs

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...and i do not repeat my maths from the other posts which show very clear that the 200.000 PAYING daily customers would not pay even half of what's needed to run that lil train.
Mike

Hey Mike, you hit the nail right on the head!
Show us the numbers!!!
Where is our Nals (aka Numbers) expert?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Why would you think I was responding to your question?

You should know that data is made public on certain intervals of time, in some cases its monthly, but in most cases its done quarterly.

The Metro is not even a month old as far as its full operation is concerned.

-NALs

Oh the night and day are still young.:cheeky:

i did not think that you answer to my question, i just asked in public, for anyone who may be so nice to share the info, IF available.
sure some kind of datas are taken in their intervals of what ever timespan, but if something newly opens and starts as the big blast the operator itself would be interested to provide such data as soon as possible in the first running phse to show the whole Isle that the first day they had this amount of riders and during the first week they had that surprisingly high number of paying riders aso aso.
then longer it takes til such data is out than less believable it will be, b/c weks after the start the published numbers may just be some manipulated "data" which suits what the gubmin dreams of.

and YES, that night is still young,
that Valentine been just born,
but it's time for a nap,
a bunch of Valentine's fishers early morning,
and then i have to bring the Mrs on her Valentine's venture.
i will survive.
'nite
Mike