Problems connecting to Orange ???

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Where are you trying to call from? I called from Canada today and didn't have a problem connecting to either of them.

Last edited:

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Sometimes, if you turn off your cell phone, by way of the power button, and then turn it on, again, you can establish a good connection.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We use the power off- power on trick at least twice a day. Many days we will have probelms especially with Orange. Sometimes we get messages that were sent days before. You gotta love it.

Bob K

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I phone

What is even worse is Orange's I Phone service. I must warn everyone with a 3G I Phone that it is loaded with hidden charges. The most dangerous(to your pocket) feature is Safari and all the other internet uses. The minute you thumb any of these features you're in for a surprise. Your megabytes run as fast as Dominican CAASD and Edesur electric meters to a rate of $0.07 per kb after your alloted megabytes are depleted, which is fast, faster and fastest. It seems as if when you approach the end of your allotment, the megameter runs at the speed of light. Just listen to this...for about 18,000 kb in a given extra day you would have to pay a lofty RD$1300 pesos, in addition to the $5000 plus monthly plan.
Orange started offering the infamous "Eliminate Edge"(APM system) to help control your internet use, but strangely enough it has been "out of order" conveniently. So Orange has you over the barrel.
The 3G has been a huge dissapointment to me. It has no video capability, the bluetooth does not work with any other equipment(you cannot transfer anything into anybody else's cell), downloading music to your G ipod is so complicated and expensive as paying for live music, downloading music videos takes an eternity. It plays videos individually and you have to download the next one..one by one. To switch from one application to the next you have to exit the previous one. I have not been able to find a conversion feature for metric system, currency, etc. unless you use internet. You cannot send multimedia messages thru SMS or text messages(you must use e-mail), the camera has no other applications than taking pictures, zoom and viewing slide show. I could go on and on. Orange Dominicana has no efficient or effective technical help to deal with this phone. Only a handful of staffers know this phone in and out, and not that much. Help is only available at the main office, if any. No supervisor would take a second of his time to see you even paying phone rates as high as luxury car payments. Besides, you're married to your G phone contract for 18 months, cannot pass along minutes from your I Phone to your other cell phones and the battery is a DUD! I tunes does not work in DR directly. The warranty does not cover battery replacement which will die at the end of the first year and it is as expensive as the Iphone. If you have a curious girlfriend, forget about erasing your other girls' calls individually. You have to erase every call shown on your screen. You cannot select-erase calls. Your earphones fall off your ears. The equipment comes with the worst-ever instruction booklet. It has no information of any use. Unless you go on internet, you will never know how the I-phone works, except costly and time consuming trial and error. It comes with a fancy box, but no Instruction CD or booklet. Their instruction brochures are laughable. Steve Jobs must do something before he dies about the phone and its representatives like Orange.
Golo
I give it one star.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
golo: use itunes in the US with a US credit card. It works great that way.
I've gone through a lot of pain switching over to the iphone but am getting pretty used to it now. I use wifi in my apartment and orange Edge outside, and it works fine. I ended up having to jailbreak my legally unlocked iphone so i could continue to modify the internet edge settings when travelling to other countries. I'm about to replace the alarm so it has a very loud alarm sound.

After you work through these issues, it generally works quite well. Stick with it.