employee has to make good ??

catch

Apr 25, 2007
If a employee working in a hotel makes a honest mistake, giving a customer back to much change , is he required to make up the difference . the owner says he will deduct it from his pay. it was a thousand peso mistake . thanks all

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Good question, I'm interested in hearing the answers as well. At a gas station I had asked for $500 pesos regular gasoline, and I don't know the guy wasn't listening or what, he put $1,100 in my car and then demanded I pay him the difference. He was insisting I give him a credit card and I told him "no, I don't have it" and I didn't. The funny part about it was that I paid him the $500 peso before he pumped the gas. He said he was going to report me to the police, because he was going to have to pay the difference and I said fine, and left. Maybe if I had the cash on me I might have paid it, but I was not about to pay for his mistake.

Now on the otherhand if someone gives me more change than they were supposed to, I would definetly give it back as it wasn't mine to begin with but to pay for their mistakes with MY money?? No, don't think so

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Who pays for the mistake

BabyBlu,
Your situation is an easy resolve whether it comes out the employee's pocket or the pocket of the business owner.
It is simply this; the employee
put $1,100 in my car
when you
had asked for $500 pesos regular gasoline
An honest mistake.
You don't have the money to pay at the time?
You go to the nearest ATM withdraw the money and return.
You don't have $1,100 pesos in your bank account?
When you do you return and pay what you owe.
You'll never be by that way again?
You mail it.
You did neither?
You stole the gas.
Mack.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
If a employee working in a hotel makes a honest mistake, giving a customer back to much change , is he required to make up the difference . the owner says he will deduct it from his pay. it was a thousand peso mistake . thanks all

Simple question and simple answer. If the employeee does not pay for the mistake then the owner has to pay and you need only ask yourself who made the mistake, the owner or the employee. So who should pay for it, the person who made the mistake or some innocent person that wasn't even there. If that employee makes an innocent mistake and hits a car with his car on the way home, who should pay for it, him or his boss or someone else maybe the person he hit? What type of foolish question can this be to ask who should be made to pay for a person who made a mistake. The person who made the mistake of course.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In BabyBlu's case an alternative solution might have been to get the gas station employee to syphon out the excess fuel, so that she ended up with the RD$500 she wanted & the gas station got their fuel back. Which would also mean measuring what came out to make sure what stayed in was RD$500 worth. In other words, provide a solution as to how someone can rectify their mistake. I know, it takes time but it is often the sort of lesson which sticks in someone's mind.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Forget legality, do the right thing and give the RD $1,000 back. You acknowledge it was mistake. It ain't right no matter who pays for it, but I suspect you know that.

catch

Apr 25, 2007
peope please Im not the person who got a suprise of an extra 1000 pesos . I know right from wrong . I also know in the u.s .(sorry thats all i have to compare it to) when you count out your draw at the end of the day and your short ,you dont make it up . Sureif it happens a few times you would lose your job . sorry for the foolish question, but if i dont no should i guess or ask people that know more about the dr and its customs ( that thousand pesos is alot of money to my friend)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You were at fault as well by not paying attention. Since one of the oldest tricks in the DR book is to not reset the pump before dispensing gas, one should ALWAYS watch to be sure this is done, and then it just makes sense to watch and make sure they don't put in more than you ask for. I see virtually no difference between this and the incorrect change scenario. You have the gas. You owe them the money.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Here in NY my foster daughter had to put $15.00 missing in the cash register while she was in training. She quit, did not like it.
I worked as an accountant in the DR/SD many, many years ago.
Caja chica-any money missing-it must be replaced by the employee.
Cash register-employee must replace the money.

Not all companies have the same rules.
Any where, any cashier give me extra I returned it. If I am in the supermarket and the cashier do not scan a product, and I notice it at home maybe I will keep it because it goes to misc. but if money I go back to return to money because it will hurt the cashier pocket.

Last year I went in a group to take the boat around NY. My sister paid with a 100 dolar bill. The cashier gave her in her change the 100 dollars bill back. Immediately I said give it back. I told my sister you will have a nice good sleep tonight.

In the case of the gas station, if I do not have the money I will tell the worker I will come back maybe next week. Imagine 600 pesos off his little paycheck.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
But I will drive to the end of the world on their mistake if they put to much gasoline in the car. :)

Oh Please!! I already gave the guy the $500 peso note and looked to see if the gauge was set to 0.00. So now I have to do the guys job for him as well?

Are any of you people hiring?? I want a job where I am not responsible for my own mistakes and can blame it on everyone else, A great perk as well would be if the customer can actually do the job for me, so that essentially I would not have to do anything all day.

Also the guy said he didn't know how to get the gas out, I gave him that option, he didn't like it.

Btw, Is it because I am a gringa that everyone assumes that the 600 pesos is nothing to me? Just to let you people know that if I had had the $$ I would've asked the guy to put more than $500 in my tank. That $500 peso was my gas to get back and forth to work for a week. I live paycheck to paycheck just like that guy pumping gas, but because I'm American I can afford to pay for his mistakes.. Right????

Don't be so quick to judge, he had his chance to take his gas back..he didn't...And sorry that I'm not rolling in $$ like the rest of you...

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
You go girl

Oh Please!! I already gave the guy the $500 peso note and looked to see if the gauge was set to 0.00. So now I have to do the guys job for him as well?

Are any of you people hiring?? I want a job where I am not responsible for my own mistakes and can blame it on everyone else, A great perk as well would be if the customer can actually do the job for me, so that essentially I would not have to do anything all day.

Also the guy said he didn't know how to get the gas out, I gave him that option, he didn't like it.

Btw, Is it because I am a gringa that everyone assumes that the 600 pesos is nothing to me? Just to let you people know that if I had had the $$ I would've asked the guy to put more than $500 in my tank. That $500 peso was my gas to get back and forth to work for a week. I live paycheck to paycheck just like that guy pumping gas, but because I'm American I can afford to pay for his mistakes.. Right????

Don't be so quick to judge, he had his chance to take his gas back..he didn't...And sorry that I'm not rolling in $$ like the rest of you...
I'm behind you all the way and I especially like the part about getting a job that bears no responsibility. It is ridiculous that employees think they should be absolved of the consequences of their mistakes or wrong doings. Is being an employee some type of get out of jail free card?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006

Well then I guess the following week you won't have to put gas in your tank since he poured more than double of what you would normally use. The right thing to do would be to take what you the following week's 500 pesos and pay the guy. it was a mistake but two wrongs don't make a right.

In DR when an employee makes a mistake that employee pays.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Why not pump your own gasoline???

What is the law in the DR(I'm assuming there is one) pertaining to a customer pumping his own gasoline at a gasoline station? Are there stations where a customer is allowed to "fill up" and pay the resulting sum "post-pumping"? I can see the possibility for a nice scam..."you owe me(fill in amount)that I over dispensed into your tank"... without resetting the pump to zero. How many posters(who buy gas in the DR)can tell if they received 600 or 900 pesos worth of fuel by looking at the car's fuel gage?

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
peope please Im not the person who got a suprise of an extra 1000 pesos . I know right from wrong . I also know in the u.s .(sorry thats all i have to compare it to) when you count out your draw at the end of the day and your short ,you dont make it up . Sureif it happens a few times you would lose your job . sorry for the foolish question, but if i dont no should i guess or ask people that know more about the dr and its customs ( that thousand pesos is alot of money to my friend)

If you know right from wrong then tell your "friend" to show some class and do the right thing instead of making yourself look like a thief here online. Tell him the RD$1,000 is a lot more money to the Dominican than it is to your "friend".

catch

Apr 25, 2007
If you know right from wrong then tell your "friend" to show some class and do the right thing instead of making yourself look like a thief here online. Tell him the RD$1,000 is a lot more money to the Dominican than it is to your "friend".

the dominican is my friend, the gringo owns the hotel but what difference does it make Its just a question of how things work in the dr.my friend didnt know things didnt add up untill the following day ,when the boss told him

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Didn't know how to??? In that case he's either lazy or trying to pull a fast one. What did he expect you to do, get a tube & suck it out yourself? :cheeky:. I can't think of a single gas station guy I know here who wouldn't know how to do this (& a lot else besides). If you gave him that option you did all you could. You didn't ask for the extra and you didn't want it. The parallel folks is at the deli counter at the supermarket: you ask for 1 pound of ham & they give you two. You'd expect the extra to be removed. Or at the dentists: you ask for one false tooth and they try to fit two in. Or you ask for one extraction & they take out two. I won't mention hysterectomies...........:cheeky:

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008

My apologies, I misunderstood the situation.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In the DR it is the norm everywhere that the employee pays the mistake. This is one of the reasons why a lot of bars / places won't or are very reluctant to open up a tab, because if you leave without paying guess who's paying your tab?

It does sound like Babyblue tried to do what she could to solve the issue, but if it was me I would still go back and give the guy the money...