Metro - The Video!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Brought to you by Mr. Lu and TJ at DR1.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/147dbrErsK8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/147dbrErsK8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Nice presentation guys... By the way, several of my friends here think that Mr. Lu is "Sexy" -

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Great video - thanks!
I spotted cameos by Robert, his nephew and possibly also adrianb there.
TJ and Lu - you two are great presenters, very charming and natural in front of the camera.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definately worth a Casandra!!!!
Nice work guys....

How did you get to the station and what station did you fellow start at???

You fan base certainly increased.....

HB

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
so sad

looks like some people just want to find mistakes in everything Dominican. jeez the self-hate runs deep.

but...
nice video over all. the look of dissapointment due to the smooth ride is priceless.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
!!

Definately worth a Casandra!!!!
Nice work guys....

How did you get to the station and what station did you fellow start at???

You fan base certainly increased.....

HB

Unfortunately, getting to the Metro is still a chore as the "feeder" system has yet to be implemented. We drove from THE TOWERS OF DR1, on Churchill, parked our vehicles near by and went for a ride. We got on at the Joaquin Balaguer stop, on Maximo Gomez near the Nacional Supermarket. The Metro was not full due to the hour. We were there at about 3pm on a Friday, but in an off camera interview one of the officers told me that at around 5pm its madness. Meaning that there was just a mass of people.

Overall I was told that people have been behaving well and there have been little problems, with some people reacting as if the city has always had a Metro. One person commented, and I have on tape, though I didn't include, that the Metro is here, so let's just deal with it and try to take care of it.

On our trip we went all the way North, to Mama Tingo, got off and turned back around. I felt as if I were in New York for a quick second and then I saw a man sleeping under a bridge as we passed Capotillo and I realized we were still in the DR.

As to Mujer Maravilla's comments, no one was intentionally looking for mistakes, but those we did find (for those of us who are sticklers for detail) were glaring and were indicative of the rush by the government to get the project going. The concern with the small mistakes is that they could be the small leak in the hose, meaning there could be other mistakes, and much more dangerous. We've seen what public works turn into at the hands of the government. I speak from what I see.

For those who blindly take government's word as the "holy grail" and defend erroneous decisions based on the flawed concept of patriotism only provide a weak foundation for an eventually eroding challenging discourse by the proletariat.

There is no self hate, just a willingness by some to look at the good and the bad. Dominicans and non-Dominicans alike have voiced opposing and uniting views, it doesn't mean they love or hate the DR more than the next bloke. I would honestly ask you to question blind patriotism vs. the realities the discourse of the Metro presents.

In laymen terms, just because the government says its good and just because it was made in the DR and you are proud to be Dominican doesn't mean you can't ask the pertinent questions. At the end of the day, is perfection too much to strive for, even if we don't attain it?

Anyways, enough of my tangential diatribes. I appreciate all the support and positive comments. We've made a few more videos and hopefully we can bring you guys some more sights and sounds from around the DR.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

Reactions: margaret

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
looks like some people just want to find mistakes in everything Dominican. jeez the self-hate runs deep.

but...
nice video over all. the look of dissapointment due to the smooth ride is priceless.
Someone once said "Don't expect for problems, because they have a habit to not disappoint."

Well, I say if you search for problems, you will find them... even in a Utopia.

Think about it, the message will register after a few seconds.
-NALs;)

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Unfortunately, getting to the Metro is still a chore as the "feeder" system has yet to be implemented. We drove from THE TOWERS OF DR1, on Churchill, parked our vehicles near by and went for a ride. We got on at the Joaquin Balaguer stop, on Maximo Gomez near the Nacional Supermarket. The Metro was not full due to the hour. We were there at about 3pm on a Friday, but in an off camera interview one of the officers told me that at around 5pm its madness. Meaning that there was just a mass of people.

Overall I was told that people have been behaving well and there have been little problems, with some people reacting as if the city has always had a Metro. One person commented, and I have on tape, though I didn't include, that the Metro is here, so let's just deal with it and try to take care of it.

On our trip we went all the way North, to Mama Tingo, got off and turned back around. I felt as if I were in New York for a quick second and then I saw a man sleeping under a bridge as we passed Capotillo and I realized we were still in the DR.

As to Mujer Maravilla's comments, no one was intentionally looking for mistakes, but those we did find (for those of us who are sticklers for detail) were glaring and were indicative of the rush by the government to get the project going. The concern with the small mistakes is that they could be the small leak in the hose, meaning there could be other mistakes, and much more dangerous. We've seen what public works turn into at the hands of the government. I speak from what I see.

For those who blindly take government's word as the "holy grail" and defend erroneous decisions based on the flawed concept of patriotism only provide a weak foundation for an eventually eroding challenging discourse by the proletariat.

There is no self hate, just a willingness by some to look at the good and the bad. Dominicans and non-Dominicans alike have voiced opposing and uniting views, it doesn't mean they love or hate the DR more than the next bloke. I would honestly ask you to question blind patriotism vs. the realities the discourse of the Metro presents.

In laymen terms, just because the government says its good and just because it was made in the DR and you are proud to be Dominican doesn't mean you can't ask the pertinent questions. At the end of the day, is perfection too much to strive for, even if we don't attain it?

Anyways, enough of my tangential diatribes. I appreciate all the support and positive comments. We've made a few more videos and hopefully we can bring you guys some more sights and sounds from around the DR.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

Great video.

btw, the trains were made in spain if i'm not mistaken, so would this not be their errors and not the dominican government?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Great video.

btw, the trains were made in spain if i'm not mistaken, so would this not be their errors and not the dominican government?

Thanks for the comments. You are right, the mistake would be of those who built the trains, at least in this example. But I think the original comment and my response were speaking more on general terms about things in the DR.

My point is we that can't blindly trust government, especially here. And with an investment like the Metro there should be no room for error. But looking at the government's track record on things like this, my concerns are many.

If in the end the Metro is a "success" then I will be the first one to cheer it on and I will eat my words. I hope it is a "success," but I doubt it.

Mr. Lu

Mar 2, 2008
NALs and Mujermaravilla : A match made in heaven?

Una joven dominicana perfecto, no ven mal, no escuchar el mal, no hablan mal.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Thanks for the comments. You are right, the mistake would be of those who built the trains, at least in this example. But I think the original comment and my response were speaking more on general terms about things in the DR.

My point is we that can't blindly trust government, especially here. And with an investment like the Metro there should be no room for error. But looking at the government's track record on things like this, my concerns are many.

If in the end the Metro is a "success" then I will be the first one to cheer it on and I will eat my words. I hope it is a "success," but I doubt it.

Mr. Lu

You are wrong in your assessment of my fondness for the Dominican government. I see many things that are wrong:

The condition of schools
The swage problems in the barrios and campos
Poor living conditions
Environmental issues
Wasted opportunities with regards to natural resources
Poor infrastructure in rural areas ? it seems that the only way to get a highway built is if tourist are going to use that highway.
Use of Haitian labor
Apagones

But for once, they?ve built something for Dominicans to use and it addresses pollution. The metro can help Santo Domingo Norte grow economically. Maybe the side streets in Villa Mella will get paved. Maybe now we can get to Villa Mella easily they will build a center for Afro-Dominican art / culture and chicharon. Maybe after a stop in this Villa Mella cultural center visitors can hop on a short bus ride to the eco tourism paradise that are communities of Yamasa, Monte Plata, and Boya.

The metro is a good thing. It is a success because people are using it. I don?t know if you were around then but remember what people said about the Elevados? Can you imagine SD without them?

We have to give credit where credit is due. A modern mass transit system is a good thing for Dominicans. It employs people, improves quality of life, and brings new technology into the country.

In your commentary you said that the metro is a step forward but that you still see many things that are still very Dominican. From the outside listening to your comment it seems that you substituted ?backwards? with Dominican. I can point out other things if you?ll like me to.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
You are wrong in your assessment of my fondness for the Dominican government. I see many things that are wrong:

The condition of schools
The swage problems in the barrios and campos
Poor living conditions
Environmental issues
Wasted opportunities with regards to natural resources
Poor infrastructure in rural areas – it seems that the only way to get a highway built is if tourist are going to use that highway.
Use of Haitian labor
Apagones

But for once, they’ve built something for Dominicans to use and it addresses pollution. The metro can help Santo Domingo Norte grow economically. Maybe the side streets in Villa Mella will get paved. Maybe now we can get to Villa Mella easily they will build a center for Afro-Dominican art / culture and chicharon. Maybe after a stop in this Villa Mella cultural center visitors can hop on a short bus ride to the eco tourism paradise that are communities of Yamasa, Monte Plata, and Boya.

The metro is a good thing. It is a success because people are using it. I don’t know if you were around then but remember what people said about the Elevados? Can you imagine SD without them?

We have to give credit where credit is due. A modern mass transit system is a good thing for Dominicans. It employs people, improves quality of life, and brings new technology into the country.

In your commentary you said that the metro is a step forward but that you still see many things that are still very Dominican. From the outside listening to your comment it seems that you substituted “backwards” with Dominican. I can point out other things if you’ll like me to.

I believe Mr Lu was addressing CarpeDReam.:confused: