ORANGE's I Phone 3G is a dud!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What is even worse is Orange's I Phone service. I must warn everyone with a 3G I Phone that it is loaded with hidden charges. The most dangerous(to your pocket) feature is Safari and all the other internet uses. The minute you thumb any of these features you're in for a surprise. Your megabytes run as fast as Dominican CAASD and Edesur electric meters to a rate of $0.07 per kb after your alloted megabytes are depleted, which is fast, faster and fastest. It seems as if when you approach the end of your allotment, the megameter runs at the speed of light. Just listen to this...for about 18,000 kb in a given extra day you would have to pay a lofty RD$1300 pesos, in addition to the $5000 plus monthly plan.
Orange started offering the infamous "Eliminate Edge"(APM system) to help control your internet use, but strangely enough it has been "out of order" conveniently. So Orange has you over the barrel.
The 3G has been a huge dissapointment to me. It has no video capability, the bluetooth does not work with any other equipment(you cannot transfer anything into anybody else's cell), downloading music to your G ipod is so complicated and expensive as paying for live music, downloading music videos takes an eternity. It plays videos individually and you have to download the next one..one by one. To switch from one application to the next you have to exit the previous one. I have not been able to find a conversion feature for metric system, currency, etc. unless you use internet. You cannot send multimedia messages thru SMS or text messages(you must use e-mail), the camera has no other applications than taking pictures, zoom and viewing slide show. I could go on and on. Orange Dominicana has no efficient or effective technical help to deal with this phone. Only a handful of staffers know this phone in and out, and not that much. Help is only available at the main office, if any. No supervisor would take a second of his time to see you even paying phone rates as high as luxury car payments. Besides, you're married to your G phone contract for 18 months, cannot pass along minutes from your I Phone to your other cell phones and the battery is a DUD! I tunes does not work in DR directly. The warranty does not cover battery replacement which will die at the end of the first year and it is as expensive as the Iphone. If you have a curious girlfriend, forget about erasing your other girls' calls individually. You have to erase every call shown on your screen. You cannot select-erase calls. Your earphones fall off your ears. The equipment comes with the worst-ever instruction booklet. It has no information of any use. Unless you go on internet, you will never know how the I-phone works, except costly and time consuming trial and error. It comes with a fancy box, but no Instruction CD or booklet. Their instruction brochures are laughable. Steve Jobs must do something before he dies about the phone and its representatives like Orange.
Golo
I give it one star.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The iPhone has one of the highest user satisfaction rating of any electronic product.

Look in the app store, lots of apps to address your issues or to expand the usability of what is now the worlds defacto phone.

I do agree that Orange and Claro have really screwed with the market and the pricing is ridiculous.

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
I have an iphone and love it, over here in the Uk it is only avaliable from o2 but the contract includes everything needed for downloading email using safari ect so doesnt cost a penny extra.Best gatget ive ever bought. If you are traveling with an iphone though you need to turn off data roaming or the costs will mount up.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm happy with my iPhone 3G here in DR. I bought it 'unlocked' on e-bay & just put in my Orange sim card. I don't have an Orange data plan for internet service, i just use wifi... so I avoid data charges.

For me, at least, it's an ideal phone. Good call quality, great browser interface, good typing recognition, etc.

No doubt, if the shortcomings you mention are critical to you, you won't like the phone. But all of those are mentioned over & over in online reviews of the phone. A little advance research may have saved you the headache.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
What is even worse is Orange's I Phone service. I must warn everyone with a 3G I Phone that it is loaded with hidden charges. The most dangerous(to your pocket) feature is Safari and all the other internet uses. The minute you thumb any of these features you're in for a surprise. Your megabytes run as fast as Dominican CAASD and Edesur electric meters to a rate of $0.07 per kb after your alloted megabytes are depleted, which is fast, faster and fastest. It seems as if when you approach the end of your allotment, the megameter runs at the speed of light. Just listen to this...for about 18,000 kb in a given extra day you would have to pay a lofty RD$1300 pesos, in addition to the $5000 plus monthly plan.
Orange started offering the infamous "Eliminate Edge"(APM system) to help control your internet use, but strangely enough it has been "out of order" conveniently. So Orange has you over the barrel.
The 3G has been a huge dissapointment to me. It has no video capability, the bluetooth does not work with any other equipment(you cannot transfer anything into anybody else's cell), downloading music to your G ipod is so complicated and expensive as paying for live music, downloading music videos takes an eternity. It plays videos individually and you have to download the next one..one by one. To switch from one application to the next you have to exit the previous one. I have not been able to find a conversion feature for metric system, currency, etc. unless you use internet. You cannot send multimedia messages thru SMS or text messages(you must use e-mail), the camera has no other applications than taking pictures, zoom and viewing slide show. I could go on and on. Orange Dominicana has no efficient or effective technical help to deal with this phone. Only a handful of staffers know this phone in and out, and not that much. Help is only available at the main office, if any. No supervisor would take a second of his time to see you even paying phone rates as high as luxury car payments. Besides, you're married to your G phone contract for 18 months, cannot pass along minutes from your I Phone to your other cell phones and the battery is a DUD! I tunes does not work in DR directly. The warranty does not cover battery replacement which will die at the end of the first year and it is as expensive as the Iphone. If you have a curious girlfriend, forget about erasing your other girls' calls individually. You have to erase every call shown on your screen. You cannot select-erase calls. Your earphones fall off your ears. The equipment comes with the worst-ever instruction booklet. It has no information of any use. Unless you go on internet, you will never know how the I-phone works, except costly and time consuming trial and error. It comes with a fancy box, but no Instruction CD or booklet. Their instruction brochures are laughable. Steve Jobs must do something before he dies about the phone and its representatives like Orange.
Golo
I give it one star.

Based upon your post there seems to be some discrepancies. As far as the level of service based upon the signal of Orange this would be an Orange issue. I have used the iphone (unlocked with an Orange SIM card) and the level of service is the same as any other phone.

The fees involved I cannot comment on as I have only used the unlocked phone.

Video recording and picture messaging is available for jailbroken iphones but not for ones right out of the store until they have been jailbroken.

Cydia is a package manager used by the iphone. Inside Cydia is a program called Cycorder which is free and provides video recording.

SwirlyMMS is a cheap program inside Cydia which provides picture messaging.

You will need the following information for the settings area...

MMSC:http://mms.orange.com.do/servlets/mms
Proxy :172.16.126.070:8080

MMS-specific APN Settings
APN: orangeworld

leave username and password blank.

There are also plenty of cheap unit converters in the app store for download.

Even in the US the 3g speeds are extremely slow compared to using wifi. There seems to be no shortage of wifi hotspots around the north coast when I was last there so getting good speeds on the internet was actually pretty easy.

KBarwise

Jun 28, 2004
First off Orange doesn't offer 3g, the phone is 3g, but orange only supports/offers edge internet which maxes out at 200 kb/second and i highly doubt you'd even be seeing that continuously.

If you really wanted 3g here in the DR for your phone, you should have gone w/ Claro, which is the only company offering 3g, i've personally tested their speeds to go up to 800kb/second, but again its not continuous thoroughput and likely fluctates based on the amount of users that are on & using it.

When the Claro's 3g dials down to edge it drops down to lower than 56kb/second which means its gets slower than dial up, beginning to wonder if Claro supports edge at all.

But my point is the only 3g is from Claro & it fluctuates. (as it would anywhere else)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It has no video capability, the bluetooth does not work with any other equipment(you cannot transfer anything into anybody else's cell), downloading music to your G ipod is so complicated and expensive as paying for live music, downloading music videos takes an eternity. It plays videos individually and you have to download the next one..one by one. To switch from one application to the next you have to exit the previous one. I have not been able to find a conversion feature for metric system, currency, etc. unless you use internet. You cannot send multimedia messages thru SMS or text messages(you must use e-mail), the camera has no other applications than taking pictures, zoom and viewing slide show..

The question is whether what Golo said is true or is it just a matter of user not knowing how to use the features:
- Can you record video on it? Without having some hacked applications.
- Can you text using SMS or do you need e-mail to do this?
- Can you use it's bluetooth to connect to other devices like any other phone?

Can anybody comment specifically on these features and not the usual apple lovers comments how everything about it is great. I think these are pretty simple things that most phones nowadays can do, so I would imagine the Iphone should be able to do them as well.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
- you can't record video without jailbreaking. if you jailbreak, qik works well, but jailbreaking is a hassle
- texting using sms works fine. sending pictures via sms does not
- you can use bluetooth to connect to some other devices (eg computers), but not to other phones.

i have an iphone 16g and am considering switching to the blackberry since i'm tired of having to deal with jailbreaking to keep the phone able to be used with sim cards in different countries. if i end up doing that that i'd keep an ipod touch in my house as a remote control and for testing different apps.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The question is whether what Golo said is true or is it just a matter of user not knowing how to use the features:
- Can you record video on it? Without having some hacked applications.
- Can you text using SMS or do you need e-mail to do this?
- Can you use it's bluetooth to connect to other devices like any other phone?

Can anybody comment specifically on these features and not the usual apple lovers comments how everything about it is great. I think these are pretty simple things that most phones nowadays can do, so I would imagine the Iphone should be able to do them as well.

If you don't jailbreak the device you cannot currently send or receive picture messages, record video, or use the bluetooth features.

Jailbreaking is a simple process these days and anyone who has a pc should be able to do it with the simple programs in about 10 minutes. There are plenty of tutorials out and the required programs and files are all free and simple to use. If your scared to do it have someone else do it which should cost about $20-$25 tops in the states.

You can always restore your old firmware and since this is a software modification you won't void your warranty if you don't divulge you jailbroke the device.

If your too lazy and too cheap to jailbreak the device then maybe the iPhone is a little too much and a simpler phone should be used. Don't expect the same functionality though.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
There is a free app in the App Store that let's you send picture messages called MMS. I currently use a Plantronics bluetooth earpiece with my iPhone 3g and it works fine. Matter of fact it synced to the iPhone faster then to my T-Mobile Dash. For recording video you are out of luck until Apple updates the software. You will have to jailbreak the iPhone in order to install the proper app. Jailbreaking has become almost a one click operation if you get the right software.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
jailbreaking is not as trivial as some are saying.
- it can lead to stability issues (mine crashes at least once per day now)
- you need to jailbreak again each time there is a dot release of the iphone OS
- it took me about 2 hours to go through the steps for my 16g the first time and i'm hardly a novice
- each time you jailbreak you lose all your jailbreak apps (not iphone apps) and have to reinstall them

I need a phone that works and this is a hassle.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Version 3.0 software is coming tomorrow, expect a few enhancements. I hear video recording, bluetooth tethering and integrated MMS messaging or on the list, lets see :)

One thing is for sure, Apple lead and are the innovators in this market.
Just about every major brand has followed suit and builds look alike iPhones, they just lack the functionality and that something special that Apple has.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
- it took me about 2 hours to go through the steps for my 16g the first time and i'm hardly a novice
- each time you jailbreak you lose all your jailbreak apps (not iphone apps) and have to reinstall them

If you had a fully legal, out of the box, Apple approved, tired to a network phone, you wouldn't have any problems.

The hassle factor is due to your needs and desires ;)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you had a fully legal, out of the box, Apple approved, tired to a network phone, you wouldn't have any problems.

The hassle factor is due to your needs and desires ;)

I do have a fully legal, out of the box apple iphone, legally unlocked. I went as legal a route as absolutely possible and paid $1100 US for my phone. My phone is registered in apple's database as unlocked, very few are like this.

But apple removes the ability to browse the web from the phone with a different sim card. This is apple's choice, not the carriers since they apparently want to collect on the international roaming revenue. So I am forced to jailbreak it, causing the above problems.

If you have your codetel 3g iphone and travel to the US, you cannot put in a tmobile sim, you are forced to use a DR number and pay exorbitant roaming rates.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006

I'm not sure what your doing to make the unit crash once a day but am definitely curious as maybe its something that can be corrected? There are logs stored for Cydia and with the new mobile substrate more details as to what went wrong can be found. Did you look at the log files after any of the crashes? Do the crashes occur while doing something similar like using safari? or are they related to one application in general?

2 hours to jailbreak and unlock is what I would consider a novice (no offense). If you have downloaded all the firmware and binary files this process should take no more than 30 minutes.

There is also an app backup program to backup all your 3rd party installations in Cydia. Your main apps are stored in itunes so they should already be backed up with all your music, photos, etc so I dont understand how thats a problem. When I upgrade I just plug the phone back in and leave it sync overnight to charge also while I sleep. In the morning everything is how I had it before and phone is charged for the day.

These phones definitely aren't for everyone and if they are too complicated and stressful its probably better to get a different phone. There no point getting all stressed out over your cellphone.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks beads, this is helpful. A few questions if i may:

1. Where do I find the crash logs? This happens with various applications from time to time. Installing new apps seems to fix things for a while, then they start crashing again.

2. Where do you get your jailbreak instructions for each new dot release upgrade? I'm currently not able to download bittorrent due to codetel blocking it, so last time finding places to download binaries was a bit of a challenge.

3. Which cydia app should I install to backup my cydia 3rd party apps? Will this also backup my installer apps?

If all this could be streamlined it would be much easier and your responses would be most welcome.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I do have a fully legal, out of the box apple iphone, legally unlocked. I went as legal a route as absolutely possible and paid $1100 US for my phone. My phone is registered in apple's database as unlocked, very few are like this.

But apple removes the ability to browse the web from the phone with a different sim card. This is apple's choice, not the carriers since they apparently want to collect on the international roaming revenue. So I am forced to jailbreak it, causing the above problems.

If you have your codetel 3g iphone and travel to the US, you cannot put in a tmobile sim, you are forced to use a DR number and pay exorbitant roaming rates.

Adrian, you're not a typical user. You're more advanced and more demanding of your iPhone than 95% of it's userbase or should I say, Apple's target market.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Adrian, you're not a typical user. You're more advanced and more demanding of your iPhone than 95% of it's userbase or should I say, Apple's target market.

Well, I'm flattered, but not sure how true. :)

Don't you think a lot of US people visiting the DR would want to put a DR (orange/claro) sim into their phone while here?

Right now you can't, and thats why I was forced to jailbreak.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
$1,100 US for a device?

Whoooaa nelly, $1,100 for an iphone ?
I'll hang with the 'ole blackberry and leave the hi-tec to you guys.
Friend 'o mine left his iphone on the roof of his car at the bomba,
and poof!, no more toyz for him when the wife found out.:bunny:
Cost him 2 Santana tickets, an all-day spa visit and a Victoria's Secret
purchase to make amends, and he's still taking cold showers.
He needs a jailbreak.
Sorry to get a little off topic.

Last edited: