Alex Rodriguez IS a Dominicano

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Ah, OK Alex, es su PRIMO! y no es su CULPAaaaa.

Don't worry pal, your spot in the Hall of Fame is assured. Just as some of your compatriots who did such things as lying to Congress, yada yada yada. Make the DR proud of you (and want to claim you as their own).

Meanwhile, Pete Rose is banned for life and denied the Hall of Fame for what? Betting on his own team to win.

Confirmation of why I quit watching these bums. The sad part is, the cheating & lying bastard players are not the worst - Major League Baseball MANAGEMENT wins those honors.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And where is the funny part in all of this?

To this day Dominicans have not disowned him. Angry towards what he did by choosing the U.S. over the DR, yes; but disown him never.

But some Americans that were eager to claim him as their own because he was born in Miami, grew up in Miami, attended Miami schools, etc. Being Dominican-American was not enough for some, the fact that Dominicans wanted him to identify as Dominican and only as a Dominican was not enough for some. He had to be an American, the all American boy. Sure, while he was on top that is.

Oh oh, now he's not wanted in the land of his birth, his childhood memories, his current home. Now he's not wanted in the land that once claimed him as one of their own.

Rodriguez was Dominican when he was a nobody, was Dominican when he reached the zenith, and is Dominican on his downfall.

As for his "American" identity, it appears that for some people, a person is only American under certain circumstances.

If anyone ever wonders why the rest of the world complains about Americans double standards on things, this is a perfect benign example. There are more atrocious examples for the picking as well.

-NALs :ermm: :tired:

Last edited:
Reactions: margaret

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Alex Rodriguez is as much a Dominicano as any under-30 y.o. person in Miami with Cuban heritage is a Cuban. He was born in America, he was raised in America, he is an AMERICAN with dominican heritage. What's the difference between him and any other child of immigrants? No NY cop would say he's Irish if asked. They would all say "I'm an American". My point was that when he got caught in his lies, he resorted to what many domincans would do, and say it was his primo.

He's still in denial, and he's still lying even if he wants to call it a confessional press conference. "We didn't really know what we were doing, and my cousin gave it to me, and so I took it twice a month for 6 months" Sounds more like a crackhead's excuse. Alex KNEW what he was doing was WRONG, and he doesn't want to man up about it. He's like an alcoholic at his first AA meeting - maybe someday he will come around and end his B.S. His attitudes echo in other parts of his life too, for all to see.

The REALLY sad part is that folks here in the DR may be angry but don't really understand what the big deal is. Until one of their kids wants to be just like Alex, and does the same thing with bad results. Some role model to all of those poor Dominican kids out in the campo playing their hearts out so that maybe they can catch a break and make it too.

Sweep the dirt out of the house, and ban Alex from baseball, or there won't be any more baseball left for the next generation. Sweep the other bums out too, no matter what the Yankee head office or anyone else screams or shouts.

I forgive Alex for letting down future ballplayers- as long as he retires IMMEDIATELY.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I forgive Alex for letting down future ballplayers- as long as he retires IMMEDIATELY.

Funny how we forgive all manner of transgressions in our normal, everyday, humdrum lives from our family members and certain friends, yet a ballplayer commits some outrage and suddenly he becomes fraudulent in the eyes of the public and the pitchforks and torches come out.

Suddenly he has to be run out of town for doing what many others have done and many more will continue to do. Steroids is a part of life, from the superstar athletes all the way down to the weekend warriors and ham-and-eggers looking for that extra "edge", whatever that may be.

Ask any poor Dominican baseball prospect who wants nothing more than a shot to make it to the big leagues if he would take steroids. The answer is yes.

Ask any superstar athlete who has already it made if he would take 'roids and the answer is right in front of your face. You don't even have to ask.

We live in a world where the only value to human life is based on money and fame. Regular people living anonymous, everyday lives don't count. They live their lives in quiet desperation waiting for that winning lottery ticket that never comes.

So they live vicariously through their heroes on the sporting field, with one terrible exception. They project their own failures onto these athletes magnified a thousand times over when the athletes themselves fail, and punish them more viciously in the court of public opinion than they would if their own son was arrested or their daughter came home and told them she is pregnant at 15.

But the average sports fan sees his family as a nuisance, and never more so than when the game is on. So with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other, sitting in front of the TV with a plate of corn chips and a 64-ounce bottle of diet Mountain Dew in front of him, the sports fan gets to pass judgment on players who cannot fight back in this virtual kangaroo court of public opinion.

They wonder out loud in exaggerated, mock outrage and ask how this will effect the poor kids out there who look to players like Alex Rodriguez as a role model.

These people do not realize that these poor kids have already been let down by their role models, the ones that are in their basements watching the game instead of spending quality time with their kids.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Identity is self proclaimed. No one can say he is or isn't Dominican, that is a definition only Rodriguez can make. No one else.

However, some of his statements lead me to believe that he either doesn't have a grasp on his heritage (teetering between his American or Dominican heritage) or that he leans towards one or the other when it benefits him. "I am more Dominican than Platano," and then plays for the US in the WBC.

On a final note, either because he has recently chosen to play for the DR in the WBC or because of the perception, but I look at the perspective that when A-Fraud was on the pedestal he was "an American," the "American Dream" but now that he has come out, sh*t hit the fan and there is a scandal, he is now "Dominican." He, and he did so in his press conference, refers the DR's "drug culture" and throws the DR under the bus. He is linked to Sosa and Tejada and all of a sudden the DR is only producing drug fueled athletes. But this isn't far from the truth considering that Dominicans make up a large part of drug related suspensions in MLB

It's an interesting shift.

Mr. Lu

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Alex Rodriguez is as much a Dominicano as any under-30 y.o. person in Miami with Cuban heritage is a Cuban. He was born in America, he was raised in America, he is an AMERICAN with dominican heritage. What's the difference between him and any other child of immigrants? No NY cop would say he's Irish if asked. They would all say "I'm an American". My point was that when he got caught in his lies, he resorted to what many domincans would do, and say it was his primo.

He's still in denial, and he's still lying even if he wants to call it a confessional press conference. "We didn't really know what we were doing, and my cousin gave it to me, and so I took it twice a month for 6 months" Sounds more like a crackhead's excuse. Alex KNEW what he was doing was WRONG, and he doesn't want to man up about it. He's like an alcoholic at his first AA meeting - maybe someday he will come around and end his B.S. His attitudes echo in other parts of his life too, for all to see.

The REALLY sad part is that folks here in the DR may be angry but don't really understand what the big deal is. Until one of their kids wants to be just like Alex, and does the same thing with bad results. Some role model to all of those poor Dominican kids out in the campo playing their hearts out so that maybe they can catch a break and make it too.

Sweep the dirt out of the house, and ban Alex from baseball, or there won't be any more baseball left for the next generation. Sweep the other bums out too, no matter what the Yankee head office or anyone else screams or shouts.

I do not get it what is the problem? When he said he did, it was not illegal.
Now the fact that he lie about it, must concern us, but that he used a substance that was legal at the time big deal.

?

? bient?t

To this day Dominicans have not disowned him. Angry towards what he did by choosing the U.S. over the DR, yes; but disown him never.

But some Americans that were eager to claim him as their own because he was born in Miami, grew up in Miami, attended Miami schools, etc. Being Dominican-American was not enough for some, the fact that Dominicans wanted him to identify as Dominican and only as a Dominican was not enough for some. He had to be an American, the all American boy. Sure, while he was on top that is.

Oh oh, now he's not wanted in the land of his birth, his childhood memories, his current home. Now he's not wanted in the land that once claimed him as one of their own.

Rodriguez was Dominican when he was a nobody, was Dominican when he reached the zenith, and is Dominican on his downfall.

As for his "American" identity, it appears that for some people, a person is only American under certain circumstances.

If anyone ever wonders why the rest of the world complains about Americans double standards on things, this is a perfect benign example. There are more atrocious examples for the picking as well.

-NALs :ermm: :tired:

The Eagles re-united (Hell Freezes Over); the lights went on at Wrigley Field (The Statler Brothers went home, I guess); and I AGREE with NALs, for I'm now being harassed by my fantasy baseball buddies with "You Dominicans are all cheaters."

Some of these guys claimed A-Rod as American in the past; now he's a Dominican cheater.

He was born in NYC.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
This is an atrocious post and it represents the sentiments of some Americans and some Dominicans; ?he is not __________, he is ___________? as if nationality plays a role in a person?s moral or ethical decisions. What Alex Rodriguez did is wrong, but who is it hurting? Did it hurt Baseball? Merchandise sales? Or his income? The answer to all three is no, it did not hurt anyone.

Players? trying to one up the competition is normal in sports; baseball is just creating all of this hype for more attention. When a football player tests positive for a banned substance it is reported to the media and then dealt internally, the commissioner does not have to waste tax payers? money with a congressional hearing. The truth is baseball has been tainted since the 1970s and maybe even before, it has never been a clean game. Mike Schmidt wrote in his book "Clearing the Bases" about the use of greenies (amphetamines) during his playing days. The home run chases of the late 1990s and early 2000s are the only reasons why people care about the sport if it hadn?t been for the likes of McGuire, Sosa, Tejada, Giambi, and Rodriguez the general population would not care about the sport.

If Alex Rodriguez told the whole truth during his press conference, which is something I doubt, then the use of ?boli? which could be the Dominican version of primabol then it is not an illegal substance. Primabol can be purchased over the counter or online in the US. I didn?t see the conference because I do not care about baseball or Alex Rodriguez; what I do care about is this perception by some Americans to now disown him as another immigrant that lied and cheated his way to the top.

There is no proof that steroid helps you hit homeruns since it does not improve hand-eye coordination. Alex Rodriguez might be the biggest field position player to test positive, but we can forget about Roger Clemens who probably ended his career because of the scrutiny if his name was not leaked he would have probably tried to come back and pitch for another $20 million plus. Rodriguez is one of 104 players that tested positive, we do not know if there is another star on that list or if one was an up and comer that today is a star so if you believe: ?I forgive Alex for letting down future ballplayers- as long as he retires IMMEDIATELY? then the rest of the 103 should do the same.

The clear fact of this controversy is that people are jealous of Alex Rodriguez and he has had a lot of hatred since his days at Seattle. People can?t fathom a person achieved such a level of success at an early age. He did not kill, rape, or beat someone; want Kobe was accused of is worse, what Chris Brown did this week is worse, what many politicians and CEOs in the US and DR do is worse. It?s sad that the media and people care more about Alex Rodriguez and his downfall than the stimulus package, or that CEOs of the failed banks and financial industry sectors are selling their homes for $100 dollars to their wives in order to hide their assets (Lehman Brothers Chief Executive Richard Fuld), or that Madoff is still living is a nice Apartment in the UES.

Many people have done worse to advance in their careers. I can understand
why he did what he did especially since he wanted a big contract in order to secure his and his family?s future. I don?t believe any athlete should earn the amount of money they make, but the fact is the baseball owners and corporations do not care about them they only see them as ?assets? and when that asset doesn?t produce anymore or gets injured they get cut and without an income. I think baseball players get guaranteed contracts, but in other sports they are not as lucky.

If you truly hate Alex Rodriguez for what he did than look inside your closet and of your family members, and see if you don?t have any skeletons. If you don?t have any then you can judge but if you or your love ones do then stop being a hypocrite. I know people whose children are criminals yet they defend their kids because it?s their blood, yet when they see some other person get charged with the same crime they call them criminals. Humans are hypocrites and that is what I am see when I read these hateful posts and opinions.

I do not feel sorry for Alex Rodriguez or condone his actions, but I do not throw stones at him because what he ultimately did does not hurt society.

P.S. I agree with Nals and Berzin for having sensible posts.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
If Alex Rodriguez told the whole truth during his press conference, which is something I doubt, then the use of ?boli? which could be the Dominican version of primabol then it is not an illegal substance. Primabol can be purchased over the counter or online in the US. I didn?t see the conference because I do not care about baseball or Alex Rodriguez; what I do care about is this perception by some Americans to now disown him as another immigrant that lied and cheated his way to the top.

Primabol and Primobolan are two different animals. Primobolan was one of the two roids Alex tested positive for and not primabol.

One of the two anabolic steroids for which Alex Rodriguez tested positive, according to published reports, was Primobolan, a drug that is illegal to sell or market in the United States. The United States Food and Drug Administration has banned the drug from entry into the United States. In July 1989, the F.D.A. sent out a border alert preventing a list of more than 40 anabolic steroids that can be used as performance-enhancers from being brought into the country. Primobolan was on that list.
my bold

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/sports/baseball/10steroids.html

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Alex Rodriguez is a liar and a cheater. He lied when questioned by Katie Couric and cheated by consuming these substances. Even if they were no rules in MLB at the time, they were illegal by Federal law. MLB is not above Federal law. He knew what he was doing, that's why he hid it, and why he lied about it.

No one is jelouse of him, people just don't like him.

The difference between the loathing of Rodriguez comes from the fact that no one ever liked him to begin with, because he never produced. He is a magnet for the individual accolades, but chokes when it counts. People ask how can he get US$300 million and never win a championship and then wants to bolt from Texas?

At the end of the day roids don't give you the ability to hit homeruns, but it turns a blooper into a wall breaker. It turns a guy go gets tired after 110 games into a battery who never gets tired. That is an unfair advantage.

Great post Berzin and A bientot makes the valid point, now that he "cheated" he is Dominican. WTF? The shift in interesting.

Mr. Lu

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
We have got to teach our children and the neighbor's children not to look up to these guys as heroes. For too long the word hero has been bastardized and that is a shame. Humans are fallible and an athlete is not immune to that.

As in any other profession if you don't play by the rules you pay a price. To a degree getting caught is an equalizer.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Funny how we forgive all manner of transgressions in our normal, everyday, humdrum lives from our family members and certain friends, yet a ballplayer commits some outrage and suddenly he becomes fraudulent in the eyes of the public and the pitchforks and torches come out.

Suddenly he has to be run out of town for doing what many others have done and many more will continue to do. Steroids is a part of life, from the superstar athletes all the way down to the weekend warriors and ham-and-eggers looking for that extra "edge", whatever that may be.

Ask any poor Dominican baseball prospect who wants nothing more than a shot to make it to the big leagues if he would take steroids. The answer is yes.

Ask any superstar athlete who has already it made if he would take 'roids and the answer is right in front of your face. You don't even have to ask.

We live in a world where the only value to human life is based on money and fame. Regular people living anonymous, everyday lives don't count. They live their lives in quiet desperation waiting for that winning lottery ticket that never comes.

So they live vicariously through their heroes on the sporting field, with one terrible exception. They project their own failures onto these athletes magnified a thousand times over when the athletes themselves fail, and punish them more viciously in the court of public opinion than they would if their own son was arrested or their daughter came home and told them she is pregnant at 15.

But the average sports fan sees his family as a nuisance, and never more so than when the game is on. So with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other, sitting in front of the TV with a plate of corn chips and a 64-ounce bottle of diet Mountain Dew in front of him, the sports fan gets to pass judgment on players who cannot fight back in this virtual kangaroo court of public opinion.

They wonder out loud in exaggerated, mock outrage and ask how this will effect the poor kids out there who look to players like Alex Rodriguez as a role model.

These people do not realize that these poor kids have already been let down by their role models, the ones that are in their basements watching the game instead of spending quality time with their kids.

wow. very very well said