Can you tell me if i can

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
Hi
I wish to to take my lap top camera etc to the DR. I understand that they operate on a different voltage. My question therefore is
How do i charge my laptop and camera etc?
Do i need to buy some sort of transformer ?
and if so can i get it there
Many Thanks
Richard

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi
I wish to to take my lap top camera etc to the DR. I understand that they operate on a different voltage. My question therefore is
How do i charge my laptop and camera etc?
Do i need to buy some sort of transformer ?
and if so can i get it there
Many Thanks
Richard

What is the voltage wherever you are now?
Here in the DR it's a nominal 110volts but actual grid supply is less and irregular.
Most modern electronics have variable voltage chargers/connectors that work on a range from nominal 100 - 240volts so check the print on the chargers/connectors for your toys first.

If they work in the US they will work here - but if they are European standard they may only work on 220-240volts

You may also wish to equip yourself with an appropriate surge protector to stop your toys getting fried by sudden fluctuations in the power supply from the grid, but beware - most of the regulators/surge protectors are guaranteed to work ONLY if connected to a properly grounded (earthed) electricity outlet (socket) - most of the outlets here in the DR are not -
Bryan

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
most of my american laptop power, cell and even electric shaver power supply can be plugged into 120v-220v a/c. just need a connector adapter to connect into flat type plugs in DR. and the round type in europe and asia.
AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
laptops come with an adapter so you just need a travel plug thing to put in the socket

However power tools and shavers from uk dont work well - ie very sowly

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hi , i am in the UK so is 220/240 v.

Hi Richard,

As JR says your laptop will charge over here no problem. You just need a US style adaptor to plug into the transformer. You can pick these up from loads of places online (US Mains Cable - 2 Pin Plug to Figure 8 Connector, 2m | Mains Power | Cables | LINDY UK). However, because of the risk of power spikes, I would suggest that you buy a surge protector for it. You can get these from Maplin on-line http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98192 we have just invested in one & will be taking it over with us in June. As regards charging your camera/shaver, I recommend that you buy a US to UK step up transformer from Amazon (Step up voltage converter 110V - 230V 45W: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo) and provided your appliance doesn't draw more than 45W it will work fine.

Hope the above info helps.

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
Reidy,
not going for hols lol am moving there in 2 weeks to b with my fiancee. have some intervies lined up and then will apply for residency. Cant wait lol
Rick

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Reidy,
not going for hols lol am moving there in 2 weeks to b with my fiancee. have some intervies lined up and then will apply for residency. Cant wait lol
Rick

Ah! Congratulations :)

My advice still stands but what you will have to do is as your 240v stuff breaks you'll have to replace them with 110v stuff. I would still recommend you take the surge protector and the UK to US voltage step up transformer. The transformer worked very well for us earlier this year.

Enjoy the DR & if you are around the Sosua are at the end of June I'll share a cold Presidente with you.

Salut!!

Tropical regards

Reidy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been using my laptop and other electronics without spike protection for 10 yrs. Nothing fried yet because of the spikes. So if you are coming here for a few days, don't worry about the power surges. We don't live in Uganda. Its not so bad here.
AZB