Papa John's opens its first restaurant in the Dominican Republic

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Reactions: mike l and socuban
May 31, 2005
I passed by it the other day on my way from La Sirena. It looks nothing like the Papa Johns in Florida. It even had a nice outdoor seating area.

Reactions: mike l

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Never have been much of fan of Papa John's or Dominos.
Give me thin crust from Pizza Hut any day.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i've given up on papa johns. I get really sick every time i order from there. It IS better than Dominos. I am just spoiled...if i want pizza I'll do Lombardi's or Grimaldis.

For a chain tho Papa's aint bad tho. The chicken alfredo delux is worth a try.

Reactions: mike l

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Never have been much of fan of Papa John's or Dominos.
Give me thin crust from Pizza Hut any day.
This must be the first time I have ever known of someone that puts Pizza Hut above Papa John's.

Hopefully it will be the last time too.

BTW, if you are not in SD, just wait. Around 18 Papa John's will open in the DR, all major economic centers will have at least one (SDQ, LR, PC, STI, POP).

-NALs :cheeky:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah, they opened one in SD !

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...opensits-1st-restaurant-in-Dominican-Republic

Pizza business is big in DR. I was told that one Domino's location makes about K30-50,000 a day
Domino's sales per store are less than Pizza Hut's or Pizzarelli or any other pizza chain. But, of course, there are more Domino's stores than any other pizza franchise.

Similar to the Burger King / McDonald's ordeal. BK has many more stores but per store revenue is less than the much scarcer McDonald's. Albeit, the lackluster expansion of McDonald's has more to do with local mismanagement more than anything else. In fact, unlike BK whose franchise rights in the DR is owned by one company for the entire country, McDonald's decided to limit the initial franchise territory encompassing the entire country to the Santo Domingo market. The local franchisee was underestimating the market outside SD and overestimating the SD market. Now McDonald's in the DR is operated by three different companies, one owns the SD restaurants, another owns the one's in the east (San Pedro and possible new store to open in PC), and another one owns the restaurants in the north. So far, the Cibao McDonald's are the best run.

Sad, they got a "whopping" (pun intended) from the BK folks despite McD's being a million times better IMO. The BK folks also got the Dominican franchise rights for Papa John's as well. :cheeky:

-NALs

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
eh...like i said above...Papa Johns is a last resort when i dont have anything to cook at home. I am blessed to live in an area with amazing pizza, chinese, indian or whaterver. And when i am deperate...i'd rather Popeyes Chicken over Papa's any day.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Great...another import of stores we don't really need in The DR. Pretty soon we'll be joining the US as the country with fattest a$$es / people in the world.

On a different note I wonder when they will start opening Panera Bread, Quiznos, Jimmy Johns, Red Robins, PF Changs?...and could someone get a couple of Starbucks going? Even a copy of a Starbucks ala Mcdowell's (from Eddie Murphy's Coming to America) would be alright...Starblocks anyone?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why not

Great...another import of stores we don't really need in The DR. Pretty soon we'll be joining the US as the country with fattest a$$es / people in the world.

On a different note I wonder when they will start opening Panera Bread, Quiznos, Jimmy Johns, Red Robins, PF Changs?...and could someone get a couple of Starbucks going? Even a copy of a Starbucks ala Mcdowell's (from Eddie Murphy's Coming to America) would be alright...Starblocks anyone?

Well we had a McDowells complete with arches on churchill, until McDonalds came to town also a Hooters, on the Malecon which was renamed to Booties, dont know what happend to the one on San Vicente.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

"Fat a$$es" are caused by LAZINESS, not food choices.

SD has plenty of gyms for those who truly care about themselves. :cheeky:

-NALs