another Dominican baseball black eye.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
This is disturbing. One or more people had to lie and deceive for this to happen.

Does this mean that there are more people in the DR who are capable of lying and cheating? :cheeky:

The Horror. :tired:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
what is disturbing is the resemblance to a country called Mexico :ermm:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If these teams are so concerned about the age of a kid, why don't they spend a little bit of money to investigate. It is not THAT hard to find this out. The problem is they are blinded by greed and they see this incredible prospect who is going to "save" their team and they turn a blind eye to it.

There's a quite a difference between a 16 and a 20 year old...so if you're trying to sign a "16 year old" who's got a five o'clock shadow larger then yours at least investigate a bit or don't complain later. Besides it looks like the guy can really play as he led the league in batting average...I bet they are not going to get rid of him as long as he's producing...Bunch of hypocrites the are.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If these teams are so concerned about the age of a kid, why don't they spend a little bit of money to investigate. It is not THAT hard to find this out. The problem is they are blinded by greed and they see this incredible prospect who is going to "save" their team and they turn a blind eye to it.

There's a quite a difference between a 16 and a 20 year old...so if you're trying to sign a "16 year old" who's got a five o'clock shadow larger then yours at least investigate a bit or don't complain later. Besides it looks like the guy can really play as he led the league in batting average...I bet they are not going to get rid of him as long as he's producing...Bunch of hypocrites the are.

If you know how birth records are kept here in small towns it isn't that hard to believe that someone paid the right amount of money could do a little falsifying - and 40% of 1.6M is still a lot of meat left on that chicken bone.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you know how birth records are kept here in small towns it isn't that hard to believe that someone paid the right amount of money could do a little falsifying - and 40% of 1.6M is still a lot of meat left on that chicken bone.

I know how they are kept (my own birth certificate has a different date than I was really born), but my point is these teams could pay someone (a lawyer) to do this digging for them. You can falsify the copy at the little town he was born in, but it would take a major conspiracy to falsify all the copies of the original document.

Every birth certificate has an original that resides in the central offices in Santo Domingo and this is a major pain to even get a small change through (thus the reason I've left mine the way it is). It requires a judge to carry out a sentence on it and a bunch of other legal junk...

Someone could carry out this investigation the same way it was carried out recently and look through school registration records, hospital records, baptism records, etc...Again it can possibly be done, but it would require a major conspiracy. I wonder how they found out now...

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
is there anything anymore that is not a scam?I don't believe anything about anything anymore,,,finance,scamming MFer's,baseball scouts,scamming MFers,stocks,gov't,,,everything is a lie and a grab for money and power,,maybe its time for that revolution i've been planning,,lol

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Baseball has gone the way of boxing. I can't really trust any of it anymore. The dirt is all just seeping to the top. It's tough to get excited for the WBC 2009 when all this garbage has come up only weeks before the event. Too bad.

Mr. Lu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Our national past times are keeping our Federal investigators and prosecutors very busy.

Funny how they can't seem to find anything better to do, you know, with the country in a state of financial crisis and all...:cheeky:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Baseball has gone the way of boxing. I can't really trust any of it anymore. The dirt is all just seeping to the top. It's tough to get excited for the WBC 2009 when all this garbage has come up only weeks before the event. Too bad.

Mr. Lu

It is too bad, but that' the way it is.

Baseball has no integrity. People need to get over this false notion that is constantly shoved down our throats about the players and the people who run MLB.

From Kennesaw Mountain Landis, the first commissioner of baseball who fought to keep baseball segregated all the way to this modern-day steroid era, I have yet to see where the integrity is in this game.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
what a bunch of crap...

ANTO DOMINGO. - A group of personalities and business leaders today expressed their support for the ballplayers Alex Rodriguez and Miguel Tejada as an example of solidarity, after they attracted the world?s attention from they admitted having used prohibited substances.

In a statement published in the press, the 89 people who sign the document say they admire the Dominican sluggers, just like the almost 10 million Dominicans and millions of others around the world.

?We?re aware of their great moral and spiritual values and the professionalism they show on the playing field. With all fairness it?s enough to say that we Dominicans consider Miguel Tejada ?a ballplayer of the nation? for his great efforts on the playing field and his unwavering willingness to represent the native flag,? they said.

"As to Alex we?ll only talk about his sense of loyalty, pride and recognition for accepting his ancestors? country of origin, the Dominican Republic,? states the document.

the signers they are Conrado Abud Ant?n, Carlos Manuel Bonetti, Luis Sabater, Alberto ?tala, Ecuclides Sanchez, Francesca Trigo, Carlos (Charly) Mariotti, M?calo Berm?dez, Camilo Berm?dez, H?ctor Herrera Cabral, Maritza Ortiz, Ezequiel Molina, Luis?n Mej?a and Luis?n Jim?nez.

The document is also signed by the deputy Alejandro Montas, Jose Joaquin Puello, Pedro Alegria, El?as Wessin Ch?vez and Perdro Corpor?n, among others.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
When you guys understand that in The DR loyalty is more important than honesty then finally maybe you'll begin to understand The DR and have an easier time living down there.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Is that a clarification...

When you guys understand that in The DR loyalty is more important than honesty then finally maybe you'll begin to understand The DR and have an easier time living down there.
...or a proclamation?

Either way, it's pitiful.

?

? bient?t

what a bunch of crap...

ANTO DOMINGO. - A group of personalities and business leaders today expressed their support for the ballplayers Alex Rodriguez and Miguel Tejada as an example of solidarity, after they attracted the world?s attention from they admitted having used prohibited substances.

First, bluemoonnyc stops believing "everything," then Berzin proclaims "baseball has no integrity," and now, according to jaguarbob, the "world's attention" has been captured by Dominicans' usage of banned drugs.

Headlines from around the world:

The Economist: Will China object to Dominicans playing in WBC?

Daedalus magazine: Dominican integrity: A show of nada

Le Monde: Les carrotes sont cuites: Au revoir, BEIS-BOL!

The Vatican Post: Ten New Commandments for 'Roid Rage