The American melting pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
YouTube - Viva la diferencia - Alvarez Guedes

In this video Alvarez Guedes talks about the difference between the American and the Hispanic people, so when we move to the US we have to start thinking and living the way they do, this process is called the American melting pot.
I’m Caribe?o I doubts to start walking so fast like the Americans do, some time in the evenings I stay looking the people passing by my side going to pick up their cars in the parking deck.
UNBELEABLE!!!!!! Looks like a car competition in Daytona on the way out.

JJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
only Americans are like Americans, when Ive been there I was struck by how different Americans are to English people.....Ive decided I have more in common with Europeans and Australians which isnt surprising I suppose lol

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
not surprising to me!

only Americans are like Americans, when Ive been there I was struck by how different Americans are to English people.....Ive decided I have more in common with Europeans and Australians which isnt surprising I suppose lol

I once made a list of the languages that I speak in terms of making myself understood by the local inhabitants and "English" as in "GB" was 24th! (Australia came out about 4th, I think though so we could get an Oz to interpret for us).

LOVED that VIDEO!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
And- more subtly - only New Yorkers are like New Yorkers - and the majority of Dominicans who go to the States are in/around NY. Which may be why I am feeling so comfortable in Santo Domingo - which I consider sorta as a barrio of Nueva York.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not really

YouTube - Viva la diferencia - Alvarez Guedes

In this video Alvarez Guedes talks about the difference between the American and the Hispanic people, so when we move to the US we have to start thinking and living the way they do, this process is called the American melting pot.
I’m Caribe?o I doubts to start walking so fast like the Americans do, some time in the evenings I stay looking the people passing by my side going to pick up their cars in the parking deck.
UNBELEABLE!!!!!! Looks like a car competition in Daytona on the way out.

JJ.

I think the difference is that the Hispanics are the first group to move into the USA, and not assimilate. Even into the 2nd 3rd generation, they tend to not meld into the population. If you look at the Irish, Italian, Polish, even Russian etc after the 2nd 3rd generation. they have moved out of the barrios(enclaves), and melted into the general population. In most countries, if you have government business, you will do it in the language of the country. You cannot take your drivers license test in Germany in English. In the US take it in Spanish, fill out your IRS forms in Spanish, Kyrol etc. No wonder they don't assimilate!

Europe the US/Canada are all now experiencing this problem with the current groups of immigrants into both areas and example would be the Muslims wanting Sharia law to be used for them instead of the Law of the land. In other words we want to live where we want to but we should still be able to follow the laws and customs of where we came from even if they are against the law of the country we are living in.

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I think the difference is that the Hispanics are the first group to move into the USA, and not assimilate. Even into the 2nd 3rd generation, they tend to not meld into the population. If you look at the Irish, Italian, Polish, even Russian etc after the 2nd 3rd generation. they have moved out of the barrios(enclaves), and melted into the general population. In most countries, if you have government business, you will do it in the language of the country. You cannot take your drivers license test in Germany in English. In the US take it in Spanish, fill out your IRS forms in Spanish, Kyrol etc. No wonder they don't assimilate!

Europe the US/Canada are all now experiencing this problem with the current groups of immigrants into both areas and example would be the Muslims wanting Sharia law to be used for them instead of the Law of the land. In other words we want to live where we want to but we should still be able to follow the laws and customs of where we came from even if they are against the law of the country we are living in.

Irish, Italian, Polish and Russian had been accused of the same thing you are accusing Hispanics.

And by the way English has never been the official languange of the U.S. and it will never be.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Irish, Italian, Polish and Russian had been accused of the same thing you are accusing Hispanics.

And by the way English has never been the official languange of the U.S. and it will never be.

If I remember the constitution was written in Latvian and the local legal codes, torts etc. are all recorded in Mandarian. To top it of the lawyers and judges converse in Kongo, el pipo!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
If I remember the constitution was written in Latvian and the local legal codes, torts etc. are all recorded in Mandarian. To top it of the lawyers and judges converse in Kongo, el pipo!

I know the constitution was written in English, but NO where in the U.S. Constitution says that English is the official languange, and if i'm not mistaken the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the English only laws in two states Arizona and Alaska.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know the constitution was written in English, but NO where in the U.S. Constitution says that English is the official languange, and if i'm not mistaken the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the English only laws in two states Arizona and Alaska.

precedent.....

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
se dice asi: the "Arizona State Supreme Court", btw that counts for little.

What matter is that the U.S doesn't have an official language in its constitution, and by federal law all states need to provide help in their own languages to those that can't speak English, and the U.S supreme court refused to hear the the case when the "Arizona State Supreme Court" struck down the English only iniciative, meaning they agree with the Arizona Supreme court final ruling.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What matter is that the U.S doesn't have an official language in its constitution, and by federal law all states need to provide help in their own languages to those that can't speak English, and the U.S supreme court refused to hear the the case when the "Arizona State Supreme Court" struck down the English only iniciative, meaning they agree with the Arizona Supreme court final ruling.

You fail to realize that laws are published in English with translations found some places of high immigrant concentration. English is the official language of the US period, nice try though, you could probable do well as a judge or lawyer here in the DR. :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
You fail to realize that laws are published in English with translations found some places of high immigrant concentration. English is the official language of the US period, nice try though, you could probable do well as a judge or lawyer here in the DR. :)

Where in the Constitution says that English is the official language?

Which federal law(s) say that English is the official language?

If you read the DR constitution even though it's in Spanish it clearly states that Spanish is the official language of the land, of course, it's better to be bilingual and trilingual than monolinguial.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hey guys, what started out as a fun video/thread is sounding too serious and nasty so let's stop right here.

Thanks

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hey guys, what started out as a fun video/thread is sounding too serious and nasty so let's stop right here.

Thanks

Who is sounding to serious and nasty?

Show me what chip and i had said here that is NASTY? serious yes, we are to adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.