Habichuelas Con Dulce

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hey, where are the best places in DR to enjoy some authentic Habichuelas Con Dulce?
Also some Flans.

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Yuk

My cleaning lady brings it every Samana Santa....ICK...I don' have the heart to tell her its just not my thing! I think I have about 6 jars and you can have it! BLahhh....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is definitely one of those things that you have to grow up with. Personally I love them, but I don't think I met a foreigner who likes it. Even Dominicans who grow up outside the country don't normally care for Habichuela con Dulce...

Best place is wherever an old lady from the campo cooks it...Old School Habichuelas rock!!!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
My cleaning lady brings it every Samana Santa....ICK...I don' have the heart to tell her its just not my thing! I think I have about 6 jars and you can have it! BLahhh....

Lol...Island Princess this is an easy fix...

Simply tell her that you can't eat them because they make you very sick.
a bad case of Diarrhea.

It is important you tell her so that way she gives it to somebody that
will enjoy it instead of going to waste.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Are you sure they are still good to eat

That means that they are about 6 years old...I am surprised it hasn't explode.
Hopefully she wont even try opening it. Her house will be stinking for years if
she open s it inside.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Love It!

I LOVE Habichelas con Dulce, and I'm an Italian-American married to a Dominican, so I'm one of those 'foreigners' who enjoys it. The first time I had it the name completely grossed me out, but my husband told me to just try a spoonful, and I was hooked. His aunt in Ensanche Ozama made it the BEST, but I'd never tell my mother-in-law that. :paranoid:

I make it every Semana Santa when we're in the US - if we're there every house we visit serves it. Here in NJ every Spring they even sell small bags of the little round cookies/crackers with the crosses on them that are served on top of the beans. Our son loves it, our daughter won't touch it. My son-in-law looked at me like I was out of my mind when I asked him if he wanted some, haha.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It sounds like Home is the place then...lol

If you mean my home well you will be disapointed I don't cook abichuelas con dulce. I like to eat it once per year and caliente. I don't like it cold neither with the cookies.

I know, I know, caliente el d?a despues me pongo flaca !!! that's the price to pay though.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
I have to agree, served hot is best! I was totally against the idea of eating beans as a dessert but hot, they're good :)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I know Carnation Dominicana started promoting Habichuelas Con Dulce as their new addition to their Product line. I hear it taste really good.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
If you mean my home well you will be disapointed I don't cook abichuelas con dulce. I like to eat it once per year and caliente. I don't like it cold neither with the cookies.

I know, I know, caliente el d?a despues me pongo flaca !!! that's the price to pay though.

You are right,

I also like mine the day after.
That next day takes forever to come.
That is why I have mine done before
midnight and start eating them a minute
after midinight..J/k ....lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not sure if i tried the real thing...but if so it was not something i want to repeat in a hurry so to speak.Are they like baked beans that have been washed of the tomato sauce

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
not sure if i tried the real thing...but if so it was not something i want to repeat in a hurry so to speak.Are they like baked beans that have been washed of the tomato sauce

Hartley it sounds like what you are talking about is the food dominicans collect in bucket to the pigs. That sounds gross. I hope you didn't let somebody feed you that stuff.

Here is a Video on it....although the lady forgot some key ingredients as the Vanilla and the nutmeg it still looks really good.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrZGq3389vc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrZGq3389vc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
errrrm no nothing like that lol.......hmmm pig food at an all inclusive lol ....I better not say where