Great moments in hair cutting, the sage continues...

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Guys I need a good barber in Santo Domingo pronto! I've had an amazing run of bad hair cuts and am here to vent as well as seek referrals.

* The guy today was mute (I'm serious) so I thought "He can't talk, so what? Can he cut hair?" I started explaining to him how I wanted it cut "#3 guard", "scissors on top", "'natural' in back", etc. He kept interrupting me pointing to the poster with the 30 pictures of great haircuts for Black Men and/or Dominicans and was grunting for me to choose one. "Yeah, I'll take #17, the Latrell Spreewell. Just kidding!" Anyhow he tore into my head with the #2 guard and it was then I realized he was deaf as well (I'm serious). To be fair, it's actually a pretty fair hair cut, just not what I wanted or asked for.

* The guy who butchered me last week was a freak show. I walked into a local barber shop in the Colonial Zone and there were two barbers in their white barber shirts cutting away. I was told to have a seat in the third chair. I sat down and as the plastic skirt was being placed around my neck I realized my guy didn't have a white barber shirt. He looked like the watchman or something. Then I realized he was only handling overflow into the 3rd chair. He was like the stunt barber or something wtf!!!. I asked him "What are you practicing or something?". He swore he was a regular barber, "No problem" and went to work. A couple minutes later I noticed he kept his clippers and scissors in a yellow plastic 'La Sirena' bag instead of laid out on the work station like the other two guys. His scissors was rusty and squeaking. I freaked out and got up and walked out.

* The hair cut before that was in Bonao and that guy had the same poster of the 30 great hair cuts for Dominican and/or Black Men for me to choose from. I just looked at him and shook my head no. He was sloppy and at the end he wanted to shave some lines in my head like he was doing for all the other guys (Read: Kids) who were in and out of there. We agreed to disagree on shaving Vanilla Ice lines into my grape.

* I once had a guy in Puerto Plata spend about 3 minutes petting my hair like I was a f'ing cat! Then it hit me....."He's never touched straight hair!". He did a pretty good job with the clippers but he didn't own a scissors, so again not quite the cut I was looking for.

So, anyone know a good barber in Santo Domingo because I'm done screwing around with hacks. I'll buy a damn 'Flowbie' and do it myself if it doesn't get better than this guys. Thanks in advance.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is one in sosua that uses scissors lol - i often resemble a coconut after my barber visits so I sympathise ...but no practical help. Robert must get his lushious locks cut somewhere decent

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
go see Freddy

Freddy's Peluquer?a
Av R Betancourt 1208, Santo Domingo
(809) 535-3146

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
May I suggest the bald look........just like the smilies ;):cheeky::laugh::cool:

It's what I do. Easy to maintain, and really hard for a barber to screw up.

But I'll admit, it's not a good look for those with funny shaped craniums. LOL!!!

Vince.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Can we get the before and after pictures? :)

I won't let anyone in the DR touch my hair especially after I got butchered one year. I came back to Canada and I didn't need a haircut for a really long time! And when I stayed for a month one year, I was lucky that my good friend that came down with me for part of the stay was also my hairdresser. hehehehe

Hope you find a good barber soon!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ask for #2 on the sides & #4 on top... It usually works for Caucasians...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Guys I need a good barber in Santo Domingo pronto! I've had an amazing run of bad hair cuts and am here to vent as well as seek referrals.

Thanks in advance.

I've always had my hair cut at "Nolasko" in Plaza Central (Second Floor - towards the back) and I've found them great. First time I still didn't speak too much Spanish but we all managed to communicate and I got the cut I wanted.

Been going back ever since, but as I like to wear my hair quite long it's usually a matter a matter of a few months rather than weeks between visits, but I usually have the same stylist etc.,

Price is reasonable - I'm still paying the same as I did three or four years ago but I know that for "new" clients the price is a little higher. The price includes shampoo and coffee.

Bryan

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mullets are back

just take a picture in of how you want to look
mullet-2.jpg

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Haha that's a funny ass pic. I too am super careful where I go. As of late, I still dont trust anyone and tried to cut my own hair (#2 all around) and it came out great, just had to get a shape up.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
I usually go to one of the female hair dressing salons - besides being cute they tend to do a decent job, maybe because they are used to work with hair that has been straitened -or relaxed I think it's called.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Go to a beauty salon. Girls are trained with the scissors. We, girls, are more demanding with our hair and if they can satisfy us they can satisfy men. Some barber learn on the street but beaticians go to school.
There is a lady that I know for years that do house visits. That is the only things she does. She is black but her clientele is white. A party, weddings, graduation, ceremony her clientele calls her. She goes every weekends to the rich neighborhood and she is very good with scissors. I do everything in the states with my hair except haircut. She cuts my hair and my daughters', my mother and my sisters'. If you want to try let me know, I do not know how much she charges because whenever we travel and we bring her gifts and we give her like a tip for her service.