Sosua

S

sandi

My family is considering a vacation in Sosua next Christmas. Is anyone familiar with the Coconut Palms Resort? Is it fun for kids? Is the area safe from crime? Is it expensive? Is the dollar weak or strong? Is there good snorkeling? How long a plane ride is it from Philadelphia? What is the weather like in December?

D

DR One

Is it fun for kids? From our knowledge, the resort does not cater to kids, but it has a swimming pool and weather should be good in December, so I would answer yes.

Is the area safe from crime? Yes.

Is it expensive? No.

Is the dollar weak or strong? Strong.

Is there good snorkeling? Yes, but you will have to take the commute to Sosua beach. I believe the hotel offers a free shuttle service.

How long a plane ride is it from Philadelphia? You will have to travel to New York/New Jersey or Miami and then fly here as there are no direct regular flights to Philadelphia. Check with your travel agency for a charter. The resort would also know.

K

Ken

I have stayed at Coconut Palms. Sosua is a short commute (just a few minutes by car. Coconut Palms is nice but no A/C---not really needed esp. at night. CP is nice for family but there are far better resorts in the area (Sol De Plata is one) Sosua will be a culture shock if you are not accustomed to travel in this area--not a family environment. Weather is always nice--does not fluctuate much year round. If you are concerned about a family environment and want to see the real DR, I would suggest another coastal resort further east of Sosua or in the mountains.

M

Mike Martin

Reply to Ken Re: Sosua

Hi Ken Can you give a little more explanation re. your reference about culturs shock and family environment? I have not visited Sosua for a few years. ThanksMike