stay in paraiso area or Pedernales

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
still trying to figure out this leg of my trip, as stated in an earlier post i will be spending 5 days in the south west. I still have not heard any advice on whether that is enough time. I would like to not be super rushed and see what the area has to offer.
I have gathered that Barahona to Pedernales is around 2 hours. My question is should I base out of (Somewhere south of Barahona, like paraiso and drive to see bahia de las aguailas) and then retun and do day trips from there, like lago enriquillo or should I stay a few days in paraiso and a few days in perdernales?? thanks for any advice. after the south I plan to head to Jarabacoa for a few days and then make my way towards Las Galeras for a while.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Paraiso is absolutely beautiful, Pedernales, not so much.

Should be a non-decision.

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
thanks

that sounds like a no brainer than, any hotel suggestions, seems like playazul and ponteverde are recomended. Is Bahia de las aguilas a easy day trip? of corse with a 4X4 what about hoy de Helempito?

Feb 15, 2005
My recommendation is that if you plan to travel to the Bahia De Las Aguilas, stay in the town of Perdenales, which in my view is an awesome little town. A few economical hotels with nice service, a great little plaza and an easy morning trip to Bahia and Hoyo de Pelempito. Then you can travel back to Barahona the following morning after breakfast. As far as Barahona, stay closer to San Rafael by staying in Ponte Vedra which is about 15 minutes from San Rafael beach, which is awesome for some fried fish, tostones, or lobster, if in season. Make sure to see a man name Diomedes who owns a kiosk there. Some would recommend Playa Azul but it depends on you. Playa Azul's beach may not be for kids, neither is San Rafael BUT they have about 4 natural river pools which should be kinda of fun for the kids, COLD but fun. You can do this in the morning and head out to Perdenales around 2:30, straight into town and dinner. There is an American friend that live full time there. Again nice town.

Feb 15, 2005
P.S. the best hotel in the Barahona area is Casa Bonita, without a doubt. However, it costs around $130-$140 a night. But it's the very very best.

Feb 15, 2005
also, Hoyo De Pelempito in Perdenales is interesting given the history of the slaves that escaped and hid in the dense jungle. It's called the Grand Canyon of the Caribbean.

On the way to Hoyo De Pelempito there is an area that cars roll back up in reverse at the bottom of the hill. Some say it's an illusion but that's for everyone to come to their own conclusions. There is another place similar on the way to a town called Polo which is about 30 minutes before the town of Barahona and may take you out of the way. However the coffee from Polo is in my opinion the best in the country. But you can ask Diomedes in San Rafael to get awesome honey, coffee, or mama juana and pick it up on your way back, he's a great person.
You should think about taking an old phone and having it activated for about 300 pesos $10-$15US, buy a 200 peso pre-paid card and there you go, you'll be in touch with the hotels, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2005
In the Bahia, take the boat right into the bay by boat, the family will love it and so will you, tell the boat driver to take you close to the shore to take awesome pictures and if you're lucky you may catch pelicans sunning or fishing. Once on shore, find a tree and drape a blanket over it for the beach has very little shade and it's very hot, but amazing and perfect for kids and snorkeling. You can ask the hotel if you can borrow a blanket. Before going take ice, plenty of fluids and snacks (maybe some cheese, chips etc). They will pick you up at a given time from the beach and then you can eat at the restaurant called Las Cuevas, expensive but the only show there. You'll be amazed to know that fishermen still live in those caves which is amazing. After that the kids will be drained, lights out trust me. BTW, there is a hotel constructed by Ex- Presidente Balaguer which have huge rooms perfect for a family.

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
Richard, where is the hotel you were speaking of ( " hotel constructed by Ex- Presidente Balaguer which have huge rooms perfect for a family." ) and which hotel would you recomend if I were to stay in Pedernales/ I suppose that makes sense to stay their if I wand to have ample time at Bahia and maybye next day see Hoyo.. I will be driving from Santo Domingo flight comes in @ 12:45 so I thought barahona area would be enough of a drive, maybye I should spend 1 night near Barahona and then 2 nights around Pedernales to catch the sights I also thought lago de enriquillo area sounded neat. And thanks so much for all the advice. it really helps. Do you think also that I would need reservations in Pedernales?? Also My spanish is not very good.

Feb 15, 2005
Excuse me for being so wordy but I keep remembering things after each post. I would also recommend going to Bahia early or late (after 3), go to Hoyo de Pelempito mid-afternoon. Take some snacks and take plenty of pictures. You can buy ham and cheese sandwiches almost anywhere.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They will pick you up at a given time from the beach and then you can eat at the restaurant called Las Cuevas, expensive but the only show there.
Excellent restaurant, set in one of the most gorgeous areas of the planet. It's a favorite stop on our SW tour. We have a hard time getting the riders to mount up to ride back to Barahona. The owner, Santigo Rodriguez even has boats that can take you to Bahia de Las Aguilas. Outstanding food. The pulpo y lambi dish is cosmic, as well as the camarrones ...

Some pics of the restaurant and surroundings:

The entrance:
168.jpg

Inside, the bar area:
157.jpg

Looking at the sea from the inside:
160.jpg

SWTour298.jpg

Looking toward Cabo Rojo from the restaurant:
DSC02277.jpg

View of the restaurant from the public pier:
169.jpg

Park Entrance, 100m away;
DSC02282.jpg

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
kfrancis will be in touch with the Word. Give him a few hours...

HB

Do not take any advice from kfrancis..The guy is a phony..He has given me bad references in the past and lost alot of money because of him..He is no longer doing buisness in the Barahona area as I just returned from 4 weeks there and all his signs are painted over..I guess people finally found out what I found out about him...

Feb 15, 2005
Richard, where is the hotel you were speaking of ( " hotel constructed by Ex- Presidente Balaguer which have huge rooms perfect for a family." ) and which hotel would you recomend if I were to stay in Pedernales/ I suppose that makes sense to stay their if I wand to have ample time at Bahia and maybye next day see Hoyo.. I will be driving from Santo Domingo flight comes in @ 12:45 so I thought barahona area would be enough of a drive, maybye I should spend 1 night near Barahona and then 2 nights around Pedernales to catch the sights I also thought lago de enriquillo area sounded neat. And thanks so much for all the advice. it really helps. Do you think also that I would need reservations in Pedernales?? Also My spanish is not very good.

Don't worry about your Spanish. I'll get you the information today. Also find out about Lago Enriquillo, there are issues with the water rising so that I don't know what it looks like. It's interesting but be careful about taking a long ride and not having access to the park.

But yes stay two nights in Perdenales and that would be a comfortable vacation without rushing the days. But San Rafael is nice is two days there are nice too. I would stay in Ponte Vedra. But we'll be in touch.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Don't worry about your Spanish. I'll get you the information today. Also find out about Lago Enriquillo, there are issues with the water rising so that I don't know what it looks like. It's interesting but be careful about taking a long ride and not having access to the park.
I just returned from Barahona yesterday and went around the lake to see with my own eyes what's going on. The situation is really scary for those living in the area but the trip is safe, even though there were parts where the waters of the lake are dangerously close to the road, so close that we stopped to look and got our feet muddy getting off the car, it scares me that the roads will be taken by the lake also. I was so awed by the lake being so high and big that I missed the entrance, but I was told is also flooded but not completely. I saw whole banana and coconut plantations completely flooded by the lake. I will be posting some pictures later on.

Feb 15, 2005
Marilyn, that's why I would advised against this person taking his family all the way there and having to return. The ride is long enough. I would skip Lago Enriquillo and let nature take it's course, instead stay an extra day in Perdenales or San Rafael.

Feb 15, 2005
OK, this is the deal. the best hotel in Pedernales is Hotel Villas del Mar 809 524 0448, that the hotel where all the arrange tours stay, the other hotel is not that great anymore.