social class and dating

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
I am alittle surprised at something. I keep reading of men or foreign men that chase after hot women from fairly well off households or the so called upper class or upper middle class. but what most men don't know is that these women seem to be the ones that have had maids and have been pampared all their lives. those women it seems are the worst ones to take to the US if you are not financial sound enough to afford maids. I have been dating a girl in honduras that comes from just above middle class. she looked at me as if i had lost my mind when I asked her to cook us dinner after i had done so twice previously. so instead we went to a chinese resturant. that is when it hit me that i could be getting myself into more trouble chasing these women who seem opposed to everything manual labour. I am not sure of other Latin countries like DR or mexico but in Hondurus and Brazil definately. Now this post is in no way insinuating that women should sit down and be door mats, or they are only good enough to do domestic duties. I believe men should help out once in a while. I also believe it should be a womans choice to stay home or work. It's just at times guys here have so much to say about american or european women when it seems like the other side of the grass could be alot worse.

I find it quite sad really. I mean here even here in Britain there are girls from really good families that have money but they go to finishing school and can cook amazing dishes. But in many Latin American countries, women from families with alittle money and maids feel that manual labor is below them. I just wonder though are they like that with their latino men. I mean latino men have a reputation for prefer the more feminine types, but are also independent women that have their own minds. I met a dominican in elephant and castle that told me that.

just a question id been wondering. i look foward to replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am afraid that 98% of the men coming here are not looking for more than a roll in the hay. They score with poor barrio chicas who are looking for a way out of here and give them the "ride of their lives" and then it is "love."

Most young women of good families wouldn't give a foreigner the time of day unless properly introduced and formalities followed.

And most of the ones I know can cook up a storm....they are smart enough to know the reality of life in the US or Europe...

HB

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
As HB says, in the higher echelons it is changing as they try to imitate Martha Stewart, but in the mid-upper it a different. Not just here, but in most developing parts of the world. They can afford to travel and enjoy the comforts abroad (as in holiday's / shopping) and have the comforts of domestic service in their home country.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Hell, wouldn't you if you could ?!- the best of two worlds; great shopping and visit to the doctor in the UK (or whereever) and living in the sun - literally - with the comfort of having a maid making your bed, doing your laundry and making your dinner.;)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I think Manuel832 makes a very interesting point. The barrio girls are usually excellent cooks with nothing but the most basic ingredients.. while the "upper class" girls often barely know how to boil water.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was invited to a friend's in Santiago because he & his wife were excited about cooking a new recipe - as they were into all sorts of recipe books from all over the world and trying new things all the time. This was going to be their first attempt at Thai night.

Well of course, early on we had drinks and appetizers served to us by the 'butler'... then when time for cooking we went to the immaculate kitchen where two female 'sous-chefs' had prepared and chopped everything, oil was hot on the stove, etc, etc. My friend raked the ingredients into the pan, at which time the two girls took over the cooking with him instructing them when to stir, etc.

Silly me for actually expecting them to cook!
Just another delicious home cooked meal by the Dominican Rothschilds.

ps: the public kitchen was immaculate because the 2nd kitchen was below ground with the maid's quarters, where all the real work was done ;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Most young women of good families wouldn't give a foreigner the time of day unless properly introduced and formalities followed.

then they give you a roll in the hay. bottom line is here it's all the same in the dark whether it's upper class or lower class. and why would a nice upper class woman give an old fat white gringo who's gonna die in a few years the time of day ? sexually, financially and mentally at his age he has nothing to offer. the new breed of tourists are younger, richer and better catches for the poor as well as the better off chicas.

we can't change the world until we change the way we think.

another DR misleading myth..and remember history of DR women coming from a non-dominican is HIS_STORY.....

Last edited:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
My wife is a great cook, and she loves cooking. Every once in a while the topic of hiring a maid comes up, usually after a salon visit where other girls ask her why doesn't she have a maid instead of cooking, cleaning, washing herself, since her husband can afford it? My answer is always if a hire another woman to cook for me, clean for me, wash my clothes, then i can hire another woman to have sex with me too, and then we might as well separate. And then the topic changes.

Reactions: Celt202

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
I think Manuel832 makes a very interesting point. The barrio girls are usually excellent cooks with nothing but the most basic ingredients.. while the "upper class" girls often barely know how to boil water.
Thanks adrianb, It's just a small observation I made. I also noticed in the archives here and older post on the 'men are from mars' section that alot of men on this board belittle the so called 'working class women' as whores of their tigres. AZB a classic example, talking big about 'santiagueras' and belittling women from other towns that are outside of el cibao. not that I am trying to stir up something and cause a war with other members but i think guys should focus alittle more on the character of the woman rather than her being from the upper classes. alot of these higher end types can't even boil an egg.

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
I was invited to a friend's in Santiago because he & his wife were excited about cooking a new recipe - as they were into all sorts of recipe books from all over the world and trying new things all the time. This was going to be their first attempt at Thai night.

Well of course, early on we had drinks and appetizers served to us by the 'butler'... then when time for cooking we went to the immaculate kitchen where two female 'sous-chefs' had prepared and chopped everything, oil was hot on the stove, etc, etc. My friend raked the ingredients into the pan, at which time the two girls took over the cooking with him instructing them when to stir, etc.

Silly me for actually expecting them to cook!
Just another delicious home cooked meal by the Dominican Rothschilds.

ps: the public kitchen was immaculate because the 2nd kitchen was below ground with the maid's quarters, where all the real work was done ;)

I am sorry I had to laugh after reading this. esp the small print. So the large kitchen is for show, whilst the smaller kitchen which is where the 'slaves' are is down below.

why would anyone do that?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My wife is a great cook, and she loves cooking. Every once in a while the topic of hiring a maid comes up, usually after a salon visit where other girls ask her why doesn't she have a maid instead of cooking, cleaning, washing herself, since her husband can afford it? My answer is always if a hire another woman to cook for me, clean for me, wash my clothes, then i can hire another woman to have sex with me too, and then we might as well separate. And then the topic changes.

Soooooooo True!!!!!!
LOVE IT!!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am sorry I had to laugh after reading this. esp the small print. So the large kitchen is for show, whilst the smaller kitchen which is where the 'slaves' are is down below.

why would anyone do that?

I have seen lots of house plans like that.
SHALENA

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
SHALENA
Absolutely correct, and the wealthier the more elaborate.

A former partner of mine has a kitchen that could be featured in any international home design magazine... and then behind that is an industrial kitchen that would likely shame 95% of the restaurants in the country. Meals could be, and have been, prepared for 100 people or more at a time.

I don't jump in often on the topic, because AZB and others are right when they say that most visitors and even many residents have no idea of the wealth within the country and how some people live. As another friend responded when someone said to him 'You live like a king'... 'No, but maybe a prince'.

A foreigner with or without money is not going to impress someone from the middle or upper class unless he/she has charm, intelligence, and style... and honestly, few of us possess those qualities in sufficient quantity - myself included. Otherwise, unless we're of some use in a business or social sense, we're no more than an item of entertainment, if we even rise to that level - and likely to be discarded when of no further use.

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
excellent post CFA123.

and thanks for the reply. it is always interesting to hear how the other half live. and I am quite sure most if not all of us that post here will probably never see that world unless by extreme luck or coincidence. even still i think guys here that one to date women in those levels should concentrate on how grounded the woman is. i have met traditional women from working class families before. and they are guarded by their brother and father. but these are the few gems you got to search for.

thanks

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
SHALENA
I just struck me as funny. I was brought up in a society that values efficiency and simplicity. It just sounds wasteful to have 2 kitchens. 1 for show (which will never be used) and the other for work. but i guess if your that wealthy you can afford to be wasteful. so i mean what do they store in there? does the first kitchen have historical purposes perhaps?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I just struck me as funny. I was brought up in a society that values efficiency and simplicity. It just sounds wasteful to have 2 kitchens. 1 for show (which will never be used) and the other for work. but i guess if your that wealthy you can afford to be wasteful. so i mean what do they store in there? does the first kitchen have historical purposes perhaps?

My grandmother has two kitchens (her house is in Europe, but they seem to do the same). When people use raw products to cook (meat, flour to bake bread, etc.) - it can get kind of messy. So, they do all the dirty work in one kitchen and bring food to the main part of the house for serving. Cleaning is much easier this way. Here, in the US, most people use pre-packaged products. They don't bake bread or butcher meat from scratch. There is no need for more that one kitchen. This is what my experience with two kitchens is. Maybe it is the same in the DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, it's what the others have been saying. One kitchen for the servants to actually cook in and a show kitchen with all the lovely expensive stuff for when the jefes decide to cook a meal, or simply for show.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my sister in law was recently at a wedding of some ochoa dude, girls were teasing his bride for not being able to do anything at home and he angrily responded that his wife does not have to dirty her hands - that's why they have servants :)

on more serious note, rich girls i know: i guess about a half can cook. the other half does not even pick own clothes from the floor let alone do anything that can ruin their manicure.

i sometimes find life with miesposo strange, he grew up with nannies, maids, cooks, gardeners, chauffeurs and bodyguards - so different than do it yourself communist environment i grew up in. i doubt if has never cleaned a toilet bowl in his life and most of housework puzzles him, to say the least. but - he can cook VERY WELL. guess cooking is a nice classy show off when mopping the floor is not much fun at all.

we recently bought a house and i am over the moon. so much that i rolled up my sleeves and wanted to help with renovation. oh, the horror on the faces of our workers!

lord finchley tried to mend the electric light
himself. it struck him dead: and serve him right!
it is the business of the wealthy man
to give employment to the artisan.
(h. belloc)

i may just add that i have helped my dad with house renovations and i can paint, put the wallpaper and do some other small things. but shhh... i better don't even talk about it...

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
my sister in law was recently at a wedding of some ochoa dude, girls were teasing his bride for not being able to do anything at home and he angrily responded that his wife does not have to dirty her hands - that's why they have servants :)

on more serious note, rich girls i know: i guess about a half can cook. the other half does not even pick own clothes from the floor let alone do anything that can ruin their manicure.

i sometimes find life with miesposo strange, he grew up with nannies, maids, cooks, gardeners, chauffeurs and bodyguards - so different than do it yourself communist environment i grew up in. i doubt if has never cleaned a toilet bowl in his life and most of housework puzzles him, to say the least. but - he can cook VERY WELL. guess cooking is a nice classy show off when mopping the floor is not much fun at all.

we recently bought a house and i am over the moon. so much that i rolled up my sleeves and wanted to help with renovation. oh, the horror on the faces of our workers!

lord finchley tried to mend the electric light
himself. it struck him dead: and serve him right!
it is the business of the wealthy man
to give employment to the artisan.
(h. belloc)

i may just add that i have helped my dad with house renovations and i can paint, put the wallpaper and do some other small things. but shhh... i better don't even talk about it...
Thanks dv8. That post is helpful. I couldn't paint to save my life. is this house you bought in DR?