Question for dr. Guzman

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
I am going to take a risk here -I know there have been literally hundreds of threads on this, but all too confusing to me- and ask a question about importing a car. The question is directed mainly to Dr. Guzman as the title indicates, but I want to thank beforehand all those experts who will give me their opinions and experiences.

Here we go:

1. I have my residencia provisional which expires Dec '09.

2. I will be applying for the residencia permanente a couple of months before that.

3. I want to buy a car now in the US, so that when I get my residencia permanente, the car has been under my name in the US for a year or more.

4. As stated in number 1 above, I do have residencia provisional now; I live in DR, but have taken trips abroad, which will include the one I will take to buy the car.

5. The question: CAN I DO THE ABOVE AND BRING THE CAR AFTER I GET MY PERMANENT RESIDENCE (WHICH AS I STATED WOULD HAVE BEEN UNDER MY NAME FOR A YEAR OR MORE) EVEN THOUGH I LIVE HERE NOW.

I hope I have made this question clear, and I apologize if it is a bit confusing. I can elaborate if it is not clear enough. I really appreciate your answer(s) since the car I want is waiting for me.

Much obliged!