English in Barahona

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I will be traveling alone to the DR and to Barahona in late May. I've read a lot of posts about the area and it sounds like it would fit my idea of a nice laid back vacation.

My only concern is that I don't speak much Spanish, so I was wondering if I am going to have a hard time. Are there many or any Europeans or Americans in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Nattalie

Mar 2, 2009
No hablan ingles

When I went there a few years ago, my husband and I didn't run into any English speaking people. My husband has been going there for many years and said that is how it has always been. Brush up on your espanol. Practica! Practica!

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
check out playa azul, very very nice. They have a/c , on the water, breathtaking view, nice resturant on site cable tv and is french owned. They speak English.
Ponte Verde is basically the same.
Casa Bonita is very nice and very expensive.
Hote Larima is closest to town and pretty, pool was empty and just had no real pizazz so we continued looking. I cant comment on Larimar as we didnt stay there.
If you want total isolation then check out coral sol resort. way out of town, nothng fancy but really an amazing experience and good local if you plan to head furter west towards Haiti, or the bay of eagles or Perdenales etc...

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
I will be traveling alone to the DR and to Barahona in late May. I've read a lot of posts about the area and it sounds like it would fit my idea of a nice laid back vacation.

My only concern is that I don't speak much Spanish, so I was wondering if I am going to have a hard time. Are there many or any Europeans or Americans in the area?

Thanks in advance.

I have been there just weeks ago. No English. Sorry. But you might find some foreigners who speak English, but don't count on it...

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I am taking some spanish lessons but I don't think that I will be able to carry on a fluent conversation in spanish. But the area seems like a very nice place to visit so I hope my lack of spanish won't be much of a roadblock.

Aug 19, 2004
I don't think your lack Spanish will be a problem - the area is well worth a visit and I am sure you will get by.

nightowlsalma

Apr 30, 2008
Hotel in Barahona

My husband and I spent a few days at the Hotel CostaLarimar in Barahona last June. The place and the room was very clean and very big with a balcony facing the pool area. Not too expensive and the inclusive is optional. The beach was muddy because of recent rain storms. We would go again because it's a good deal. Check out their web at Hotel Costa Larimar.