College Graduate Seeking Work

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
Hello

I am a college graduate from a prestigious private University in Manhattan. I have my Bachelors in Communication Studies:Mass Media and a minor in Marketing. I have completed 7 internships while in college and am hoping to work with a company that does business in DR. I am also open to relocating to the Dominican Republic if a great opportunity arises. My family is located mostly in Santiago but I would prefer to do business in Santo Domingo.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Employers I can provide further information as requested.

Thanks in advance!

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hi there,

I moved to the States two years ago after having spent my entire life in the Dominican Republic. The bulk of my working experience there was in market research and media analysis within the advertising industry. Depending on your level of Spanish proficiency, I can point you to a couple of advertising agency contacts.

You say most of your family lives in Santiago, so I guess that makes you Dominican, right?

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
Welcome to the US (belated) Hope you made the choice to move to the best state, New York!! :)

I am not 100% fluent as I mostly use english here but once I am surrounded by only spanish speakers I'm fine. I understand 10% more than I can communicate. So I would say I have 80% fluency but could use some more practice.

Yes I am an 100% Dominican girl living in New York born in Santiago.

Any help you could provide me with I would be soo grateful. I'd like to be able to work for a company/firm that has offices in New York and DR so that I could work in both areas but I am very flexible with this.

Are you working in the industry in NY or have you moved onto something new?

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
I live in Greater Boston and attending graduate business school in my last semester.

Are you sure that New York is the best state? Perhaps you mean that NYC is the best city :).

You have no choice but to be ?ber-flexible, considering that it's improbable to find a decent job if you cannot express yourself well in Spanish and you will be working in the advertising industry, where delivering a message is el pan nuestro de cada d?a.

Try to research about the operations of Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana in the States. They should have some kind of representation in NYC.

Maybe you could find a job as an English teacher at the Dominico?

I am open to work in advertising once I finish, but ideally I would move on to brand management for a consumer goods company.

Welcome to the US (belated) Hope you made the choice to move to the best state, New York!! :)

I am not 100% fluent as I mostly use english here but once I am surrounded by only spanish speakers I'm fine. I understand 10% more than I can communicate. So I would say I have 80% fluency but could use some more practice.

Yes I am an 100% Dominican girl living in New York born in Santiago.

Any help you could provide me with I would be soo grateful. I'd like to be able to work for a company/firm that has offices in New York and DR so that I could work in both areas but I am very flexible with this.

Are you working in the industry in NY or have you moved onto something new?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Not that it is germain to the discussion, but why do you say that New York is the best state. What are you basing this on? For many business oportunities Dallas, Miami, Raleigh, Atlanta...etc are better than NYC, and the climate is much better.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not that it is germain to the discussion, but why do you say that New York is the best state. What are you basing this on? For many business oportunities Dallas, Miami, Raleigh, Atlanta...etc are better than NYC, and the climate is much better.

They must be teaching geography these days at the prestigious private Universities in Manhattan...she knew New York is a state, not a country!

Last edited:

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
New York is the best STATE, New York City is the best CITY..I was talking about New York STATE in general from the beginning as I have also lived outside of the city.

If you are self-motivated, hardworking, and can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere in the US. We have a change of seasons (to respond to your post bob saunders) which I believe is better than cities like Miami and LA with climates that are relatively warm 365 days a year.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
New York is the best STATE, New York City is the best CITY..I was talking about New York STATE in general from the beginning as I have also lived outside of the city.

If you are self-motivated, hardworking, and can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere in the US. We have a change of seasons (to respond to your post bob saunders) which I believe is better than cities like Miami and LA with climates that are relatively warm 365 days a year.

I was speaking more about Business opportunities, jobs, less expensive places with a lower crime rate(relative). As you have only lived in one state I was curious to how you formed your opinion. Nothing more.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Umm... getting slightly off topic here. Could we get back to the essence of the OP's request please?