Best place to buy cigars??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What's the best /cheapest place to buy Dominican cigars? Is there someplace where they make them and sell them? In October I bought them at the Duty Free shop [dumb, I know, but I got a last-minute e-mail from a friend and there was no time to shop], and now a couple of guys want some us to bring back some boxes of good cigars. We'll be in DR Mar 16-27th, first week in SD, second on the north shore.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is a pretty fair cigar store at Hotel Barcelo Lina on the corner of 17 de Febrero and Maximo Gomez. There is one at Hotel jaragua that i have visited and like.

there is one near the Metro Bus station, just off Churchill

There is one called Cigar house on El Conde between Santom? and Espaillat #458, (if you go there, tell me about their selection and prices., Please)

You will not get what i would call "good buys" since all of these places cater to tourists and upper echelon folks...To get good buys you need to have access to a factory...and that is hard to do...

What ever you do keep away from the guy across the street from Parque Colon in the Colonial Zone...a total rip IMO...

You need something special, send me a PM and we can maybe work something out..

HB

Reactions: socuban

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
factories

Its almost like being in the movies.. The girls are all sitting around working. Chatting, listening to the news etc. All factories ARE different but alot of women work there. From 18 to the senior citizens. Of course when you buy at these places the price has taken a serious downturn... But, you do not get a Ring around the cigar... If those rings are gone that means cigars were sold and where is the money.
I think you are only allowed 100 cigars each person.
One of the advantages of being where they are made. I really never have trouble getting rid of a good dom ceegar(if you know what i mean)

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
What ever you do keep away from the guy across the street from Parque Colon in the Colonial Zone...a total rip IMO...
HB

Which of the two stores do you mean? There is the one where they make a "dominican Cohiba" and a own brand. That one actually is not too bad I think. The own brand is a quite good smoke. In this store they ONLY sell the Cohibas and their own brand. That?s the one with a nice young lady at the counter.

The other one, they sell some own cigars, La Aurora, Leon Jimenes, Arturo Fuente and other dominican brands... that one definitely is a rip off!!! They are way too expensive! That?s the one with a unfriendly guy at the counter.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good call...the one with the fake Cohibas......as far as quality> Sorry...not my cuppa

HB

shadoo

Feb 28, 2009
you can go to the factory

stay away from the big famous ones. Of course you can pm me..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its almost like being in the movies.. The girls are all sitting around working. Chatting, listening to the news etc. All factories ARE different but alot of women work there. From 18 to the senior citizens. Of course when you buy at these places the price has taken a serious downturn... But, you do not get a Ring around the cigar... If those rings are gone that means cigars were sold and where is the money.
I think you are only allowed 100 cigars each person.
One of the advantages of being where they are made. I really never have trouble getting rid of a good dom ceegar(if you know what i mean)

Riddle me this Batman. If you have the advantage of watching a cigar making movie where they are made.... and you have 100 ringless cigars...Where have all the rings gone? Will the prices take an upturn if the senior rerings the cigars?

I never have a clue as to what donmobay is saying, but it is interesting trying to figure it out. :) (if you know what i mean)

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
not bad...really

I agree, I don?t like those "Cohibas" at all. But the own brand they have(don?t remember the name) isn?t too bad.

The factory brand is CAOBA and they are a quality smoke for what you pay. They have a press room upstairs and will gladly show you their product from leave to finish and provide you with a complimantary Caoba Platino Robusto (actually very mild) to smoke while you're there. They are made of a blend of Dominican leaves and excellent if your taste runs mild to medium.

They are actually licensed to produce the Cohiba label although these taste nothing like their Habanos counterparts. They also run mild to medium whereas the Habano is a range of medium-robust to near gag robust.

When in the el conde area it's a good stop for smokers if you haven't been and there are excellent (3 and 5 stick) gift samplers for $10 - $15 in little wooden caskets. I always bring a few back for my coworkers and friends.

If you've never been to a press room this is a great opportunity to do so and the price is right (free). There's something about standing in a perfect 70% humidity room surrounded by 100,000 freshly wrapped sticks and taking a deep breath that I can't explain.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
If you've never been to a press room this is a great opportunity to do so and the price is right (free). There's something about standing in a perfect 70% humidity room surrounded by 100,000 freshly wrapped sticks and taking a deep breath that I can't explain.

If you like this, you should also visit the small cigar factory at the Leon Center in Santiago. It's a pretty small operation, but very interesting. I've never been able to get discount ringless cigars there. Or even a free sample. But there's also a shop inside that sells Leon Jimenez and La Aurora brands.

I always try to go there at least once if I'm in town for a good period of time.

Vince.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Opus X - where to buy?

I am rather clueless about cigars, however, for a friend I have been searching for cigars of the make "Opus X" in several towns but have been without luck. Will now have to try in Santo Domingo, when I get there next week.

Could anybody help with information on where I can find this cigar brand? I guess that there are several different sizes and types; would anybody have an indication of price range?

thanks

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
The best way would be to visit the Arturo Fuente Cigar Club in the Avenida 27de Febrero. As Opus X is a Fuente brand you will find all sizes of Opus X there.

I don`t know the exact prices, but Opus X are definitely the most expensive cigars by Arturo Fuente!

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
The best way would be to visit the Arturo Fuente Cigar Club in the Avenida 27de Febrero. As Opus X is a Fuente brand you will find all sizes of Opus X there.

I don`t know the exact prices, but Opus X are definitely the most expensive cigars by Arturo Fuente!

My friend is a cigar-afectuoso, so any price goes to try the best

Many thanks for info.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
If when going from SD to the north coast, you travel through Santiago, look for the factory of Cuevos y Hermanos. They make a very good private label smoke in about
5-6 different varieties.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
You know where exactly that factory is? Do they sell in the factory and what is the average price for their cigars?

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please be advised that most of these factories are "Special Free Zones" and controlled by Customs. You do not just walk in and ask for two or three boxes of cigars. That would be comparable (not quite!) to walking into De Beers and asking for a few carats!!!

Usually, if you know someone you can get in and out...but this is not usually a "drive in situation"....

HB