Translator for Condo Assembly

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio, what is the requirement for providing translators for owners who do not speak the language of the majority of owners and in which the assembly is conducted? If, for example, the Assembly is conducted in English and an owner speaks only French and wants to attend the Assembly, is he or the association responsible for providing a translator?

On a personal note, a friend game me a copy of your book. I am going to take it to your office some day so that you can autograph it. When it wins a big award for biography, I want to be able to brag about having an autographed copy.

Ken

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The Association is not responsible for providing interpreters for a condo meeting if it is held in Spanish which is the official language of the country unless the bylaws state otherwise.

If the meeting is held in English or another foreign language, I'd think the condo should provide an interpreter for anybody who doesn't speak English, again unless the bylaws state otherwise.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Association is not responsible for providing interpreters for a condo meeting if it is held in Spanish which is the official language of the country unless the bylaws state otherwise.

If the meeting is held in English or another foreign language, I'd think the condo should provide an interpreter for anybody who doesn't speak English, again unless the bylaws state otherwise.

Fabio, thanks for clarifying this.

Regarding your second paragraph, are you saying the bylaws can state the assemblies will be conducted in English and translators will not be provided, or just that translators will not be provided.

Probably a small point but wondering if we can make English the official language for the condominium even though Spanish is the official language of the country.

Mar 1, 2009
I'm really not trying to nitpick here. However a translator is one who deals with the written word. A document is translated, a form can be translated.

An interpreter is one who deals with spoken communique's. Interpretation can be simultaneous and consecutive. Any monkey can play with words. A real interpreter or translator is multifaceted, highly educated, familiarized with legal jargon, medical and technical terminology and well read in the languages he or she is immersed in.

Like an attorney your choosing of an interpreter should not be taken lightly.
:)
Fernando Martinez
Interpreter/Translator
Miami, FL