DR Loses!!!!!!! in WBC

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
What just happened???

The DR lost to the Dutch, the equivalent of the Bad News Bears. I am loving it. It's given the WBC some drama and excitement. A great baseball surprise. A feel good story. And part of me is glad it happened since the Dominican players were so selfish in the days leading up to this. Better re-up 2013. Maybe they will take a page from the Dream Team who had to get their butts kicked a few times before Kobe and the crew had to come back and let the world know who still ruled the courts.

Finally, a good baseball story in the midst of a horrible off season. I've been happy with the WBC thus far. It's been filled with great games, emotions and surprises...

Mr. Lu

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Mr. Lu - sad but true.....

Arrogance and over confidence has caused the favorite to be thrown out of the WBC by a group of Dutch....... Dont they actually play cricket as a national sport and not baseball - hmmmm -

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When you have cricket as your roots, baseball is like child's play, no brainer :)

This is what some times happens when you don't play as a team....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is freaking ridiculous, but you have to give it to the Dutch team they had great pitching against The DR and at the same time The DR kind of deserves it for being overconfident and having so many selfish players who decided not to play for their country (yeah I'm talking to you Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez and others...). Like Mr. Lu said, maybe next time they will be so humble as to not underestimate anybody and put together the mother of all teams...

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
I just saw the game and

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!! The game was 10 innings without 1 run and suddenly when DR gets 1 the $$%$^^&^&@##dutches got 1 too and the other one right away, I feel bad, I'm going to bed, lights out now!!!
nydr

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Esto da verguenza co?o, perdimos una vez, bueno ok, pero 2 veces!!!?? Malditos sean los que faltaron al llamado a la patria, con Manny Ramirez eso no sucede.

If the Dominican Soccer team beat the Brazilian soccer team twice what would happen in Brazil??

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Settle down now!!!

When you have cricket as your roots, baseball is like child's play, no brainer :)

This is what some times happens when you don't play as a team....
How did I know you'd pipe in whenever cricket is mentioned?

How did England do in the WBC, I can't seem to find their box scores.

Perhaps this just isn't all that important to the Dominicans (the baseball players anyway). I know the fans care.

Sorry to see them go, but as a fan of the underdogs, I'm happy for the Dutch.

I'm 1/4 Dutch, so ... play ball!!!!

They certainly were ecstatic about their victory. Good for them.

I think the US takes this. Not being a homer, I just think they have a different fire towards this year's version. A good team to boot, they really seem to take this seriously and are in it to win it.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
This is freaking ridiculous, but you have to give it to the Dutch team they had great pitching against The DR and at the same time The DR kind of deserves it for being overconfident and having so many selfish players who decided not to play for their country (yeah I'm talking to you Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez and others...). Like Mr. Lu said, maybe next time they will be so humble as to not underestimate anybody and put together the mother of all teams...

Try getting your facts strait before naming these players as selfish Dominicans. Pujols the best player pound for pound in the majors was not released by the Cardinals due to off season injury. In addition, how can you say a person who received the highest award (2008-NL-Roberto Clemente Award) given to a person in the majors is selfish. Also, V. Guerrero was not released by the Angels from off season surgery to play, and Ramirez was in off season negotiations with the Dodgers. Did anyone expect him getting possibly 25 mil a season that he would play in what is a pre season tournament.
Really at the end of the day most of the WBC teams have fielded nothing more then AA teams for the majors! So rejoice in the fact that the DR was beaten, maybe now a country that may only have one or two major league players on it's roster can boast in the fact that they are the 2009 WBC:laugh:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004

C'mon man. They just lost and deserved it. Even with the players who didn't or weren't allowed to play, the DR's roster was still stacked. This team took it all for granted, and didn't even bother to show up as a team. Every batter was swinging for the fences, rather than trying to just get on base. This was a top 3 roster on paper. Hats off to the Dutch.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FINAL ROSTER
Name League Organization Position Bats/Throws
Arredondo, Jose MLB Los Angeles Angels Pitcher Right/Right
Cruz, Juan Free Agent Pitcher Right/Right
Cueto, Johnny MLB Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Right/Right
Jimenez, Ubaldo MLB Colorado Rockies Pitcher Right/Right
Manon, Julio Free Agent Pitcher Right/Right
Marte, Damaso MLB New York Yankees Pitcher Left/Left
Martinez, Pedro Free Agent Pitcher Right/Right
Pena, Tony MLB Arizona Diamondbacks Pitcher Right/Right
Perez, Odalis Free Agent Pitcher Left/Left
Perez, Rafael MLB Cleveland Indians Pitcher Left/Left
Ramirez, Edwar MLB New York Yankees Pitcher Right/Right
Veras, Jose MLB New York Yankees Pitcher Right/Right
Volquez, Edinson MLB Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Right/Right
Castillo, Alberto Free Agent Catcher Right/Right
Olivo, Miguel MLB Kansas City Royals Catcher Right/Right
Aybar, Willy MLB Tampa Bay Rays Infielder Switch/Right
Beltre, Adrian MLB Seattle Mariners Infielder Right/Right
Cano, Robinson MLB New York Yankees Infielder Left/Right
Ramirez, Hanley MLB Florida Marlins Infielder Right/Right
Reyes, Jose MLB New York Mets Infielder Switch/Right
Rodriguez, Alex MLB New York Yankees Infielder Right/Right
Tejada, Miguel MLB Houston Astros Infielder Right/Right
Alou, Moises Free Agent Outfielder Right/Right
Bautista, Jose MLB Toronto Blue Jays Outfielder Right/Right
Cruz, Nelson MLB Texas Rangers Outfielder Right/Right
Guillen, Jose MLB Kansas City Royals Outfielder Right/Right
Taveras, Willy MLB Cincinnati Reds Outfielder Right/Right
Ortiz, David MLB Boston Red Sox DH Left/Left

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
three cheers for the Dud-minican Republic:

hip hip, who lost ?? :ermm:

did someone say favorite ? they haven't made it past the 2nd round yet.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Mr. Lu - sad but true.....

Arrogance and over confidence has caused the favorite to be thrown out of the WBC by a group of Dutch....... Dont they actually play cricket as a national sport and not baseball - hmmmm -

Embarrasing yes but almost all of the players on the Dutch team are from Aruba which as you know is inbetween Venezuela and the D.R. so it may be safe to say that some of these players could have Dominican or Venezuelan roots yes ?

I know it's a stretch but silver lining right....hehe

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I certainly think personalities has something to do with it. Or maybe it could be just be bad luck like poor old England - some say who play the best club football in the world but can't quite take the big prize home from the big dance. Speaking of exciting club football, the recent match between Necastle and Manu was more exciting than just about any WC match I had ever seen them play. Who knows, we will have to wait until 2013 to see.

?

? bient?t

Try getting your facts strait before naming these players as selfish Dominicans. Pujols the best player pound for pound in the majors was not released by the Cardinals due to off season injury. In addition, how can you say a person who received the highest award (2008-NL-Roberto Clemente Award) given to a person in the majors is selfish. Also, V. Guerrero was not released by the Angels from off season surgery to play, and Ramirez was in off season negotiations with the Dodgers. Did anyone expect him getting possibly 25 mil a season that he would play in what is a pre season tournament.
Really at the end of the day most of the WBC teams have fielded nothing more then AA teams for the majors! So rejoice in the fact that the DR was beaten, maybe now a country that may only have one or two major league players on it's roster can boast in the fact that they are the 2009 WBC:laugh:

Pound-for-pound, huh? He's overweight. And Teixera is a better player. Hell, even A-Rod. There. I said it. And I be knowin' baseball.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pound-for-pound, huh? He's overweight. And Teixera is a better player. Hell, even A-Rod. There. I said it. And I be knowin' baseball.

This has got to be your patent phrase, as if you have some inhibition to say what you really want to.

As far as Texeira and Pujols, Pujols numbers so far are without peer, it will remain to be seen if he can keep it up. BTW, how many rings does Mark have???

?

? bient?t

I certainly think personalities has something to do with it. Or maybe it could be just be bad luck like poor old England - some say who play the best club footbal in the world but can't quite take the big prize home from the big dance. Speaking of exciting club football, the recent match between Necastle and Manu was more exciting than just about any WC match I had ever seen them play. Who knows, we will have to wait until 2013 to see.

I was searching for the word 'sycophancy' and I found this post. Who woulda thunk it?!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Whatever dude...if they REALLY wanted to play they would play. You must be a cards fan putting Pujols up in such a high pedestal...He's good but pound for pound? Come on he's pretty chunky.

BTW I'm in St. Louis as we speak. I thought Detroit was a sad city, but St. Louis sucks a$$...

Also what it this I hear people saying nowadays how Mark Teixeira is the best player...how did an about average guy all of sudden becomes the best player in the game? His numbers have been good but never been anything to be amazed about (Always averaged about 30+ HR, about 300 batting, etc) many other players have about the same numbers or better (i.e. Manny Ramirez, Vladimir G., etc).

Last edited: