Credit Card cloning in Cabarete and or Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Two of my friends have had their credit card cloned in the Cabarete and or Sosua area.
Has anyone else had this problem????

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes at banco central in sosua - im more vigilant about looking for devices attached to cash machines now- i presume the guard was in on it since he was sitting next o the machine and would have seen anyone attach it unless he was asleep

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
So at the Bank also, my two friends' cards where cloned at two different places in Cabarete as far as we can tell because when comparing their activities they did not use their cards at the same place.
So I advise everyone to be carefull at watch the salespersons when they are swipping your card, make sude they do not swippe it twice (then they are probably using a second reader) and make sure that the card reader is in plain site.

Jan 17, 2009
There was a report of credit card fraud, I believe in August 2008, on the Warden's message of the US Embassy page in the DR. Credit card info was being stolen by some crooks abroad that had tapped into the line that credit card machines use.

Last year, I had my ATM card cloned and my PIN stolen. I was unable to figure out where this happened. I had used my ATM card at the ATM in Playero in mid September. Two weeks later, I was back in the US and used it at a 7-11 store in Virginia. It wasn't until end of October that I noticed, when someone made two large withdrawals from my checking account in a bank in Canada.

adodd

Feb 12, 2009
Same thing with us

Last Tuesday, my family and I booked a snorkelling trip with a supposedly reputable dive shop in Puerto Plata. The guide took us snorkelling outside of Sosua Bay while the driver stayed with the truck, and supposedly watched our belongings. When we got back to Canada, both my sister and my mom had $175.00 of gas charged on their Visas on Wednesday and Friday. For some reason no one else had charges. My mom and sister did not even use their cards the whole trip. We are thinking the driver slipped away while we were snorkelling. So I guess we learned our lesson...leave the credit cards in the hotel safe...if they are even safe there. This was not the only swindle to happen to us on our trip, and while we enjoyed most of our trip, we are not big fans of the local swindlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.