Looking at buying Motorcycle

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Can anyone tell me what are the legal requirements to get a motorbike on the road as far as insurance etc. I notice a lot of bikers getting ticketed by Amet police but unsure why.
Does anyone know the easiest and most economical way a tourist can accomplish this process.
How much is insurance?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wanna be an invalid, drive a motorbike in the DR

Amet from time to time works at enforcement of the laws. Usuall they tow the bike for lack of proof of ownership, lack of paperwork in general, or no helmet. If you are considering riding a motorbike in the DR you should first be certain that your medical and funeral expenses are taken care of so that you do not burden your family when you are killed or seriously injured. Driving a large car here is dangerous, driving a motor is really really dumb as you will most certainly be in accidents. There are two kinds of motor riders here, those that have been in accidents and those that will be in accidents. Have you noticed all the people limping around with amputations? Ask a few how they lost their leg, lost their hand and you may re-think driving a motor in this country. Best of luck to you.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Can anyone tell me what are the legal requirements to get a motorbike on the road as far as insurance etc. I notice a lot of bikers getting ticketed by Amet police but unsure why.
Does anyone know the easiest and most economical way a tourist can accomplish this process.
How much is insurance?

Take your papers and your passport to a an insurance agent in your town, I personally insure with Patria in Sosua. I believe they have representatives all over the island. Liability is about $1,000 pesos, but I do not know if that is a set price or they use different criterias in their determination.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Amet from time to time works at enforcement of the laws. Usuall they tow the bike for lack of proof of ownership, lack of paperwork in general, or no helmet. If you are considering riding a motorbike in the DR you should first be certain that your medical and funeral expenses are taken care of so that you do not burden your family when you are killed or seriously injured. Driving a large car here is dangerous, driving a motor is really really dumb as you will most certainly be in accidents. There are two kinds of motor riders here, those that have been in accidents and those that will be in accidents. Have you noticed all the people limping around with amputations? Ask a few how they lost their leg, lost their hand and you may re-think driving a motor in this country. Best of luck to you.

thanks for the warnings, but i have always lived on the edge. i also believe that its the rider that also determines his chances of getting in an accident. these motorcyclist ride like retards and dont even bother to turn a head before riding infront of a car. I have different habits so therefore much better chances of avoiding such incidents.
But thanx for heads up.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you are considering riding a motorbike in the DR you should first be certain that your medical and funeral expenses are taken care of so that you do not burden your family when you are killed or seriously injured. Driving a large car here is dangerous, driving a motor is really really dumb as you will most certainly be in accidents. There are two kinds of motor riders here, those that have been in accidents and those that will be in accidents. Have you noticed all the people limping around with amputations? Ask a few how they lost their leg, lost their hand and you may re-think driving a motor in this country. Best of luck to you.
I could not disagree more. We now have well over 35,000 collective miles riding real motorcycles, not motos and passolas, all around the country. All totally uneventful. However, we spend very little time in SDQ, STI or POP. Our direct experience, garnered over those miles, is exactly the opposite of what you state.

IMO, compared to the states, it is actually SAFER to ride a bike here in the DR, for many reasons. The primary reason is in threat assessment: the #1 threat to riders in the states, a cage pulling out in front of you, is nearly non-existant compared to the states. Why? 1) The DR is a motorcycle culture, they are everywhere, folks are brought up around them; you are seen, there are no soccer moms in the mini-van texting, whacking the kids in the back seat, and applying her mascara, and 2) The vast majority of sidestreets are 2-6" LOWER than the main streets, requiring the cage to slow to a crawl if not stop before pulling out.

But that's just a quick peek. There are many more I'll toss out at a later time in a more formal presentation.

The basis of my statements assume the OP was referring to a real motorcycle, not a sub-125cc bike or pasola, riding with formal training and full protective gear...not just buying a cute little scooter and putzing around with cut-offs, flip flops, and a ball cap on main roads. That's equally nutz in the states.

I see by your handle you may be attached to a zx11 (fine machine). I'm curious, have you taken the MSF basic or advanced course in the states?

MotoCaribe Adventure Tours - Dominican Republic

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
My wife got her pasola at the store in Sosua Abajo, where the entrance for Maranata is. They do all the paperwork there as well as the insurance thing. They sell small 125CC there, if you are looking for a 600CC and larger then i don't know where they sell them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bikes of every sort can be gotten here. Just like cars, they are much more expensive than back in the States, probably 100% more.

I have a Yamaha 115 that I have logged probably 10,000 mi in the last 3 years in an around Santiago and Moca. I have a GS1100 back in tha States that I am going to sell because I no longer feel comfortable riding there. Outside of the capital, riding a bike here is a snap, although not really preferable at night for the amount of drunks that clog up the roads.

I don't believe bikes can be bought with credit, but I am not sure. No problem as most credit card companies issue a "check" in your statement that can work like any other check. If the dealer won't take it simply deposit it in a bank here in the DR and wait until it clears or try to change it at a local camio - I in fact have done it both ways.

Remember to use a helmet too.

cheers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't believe bikes can be bought with credit, but I am not sure.
Credit cards? Not sure. But I'd say prolly 80% of the bikes sold in the DR are sold on credit...at 25-35%.

We have a friend who is a large moto dealer here in Jarabacoa. He says he makes virtually nothing from the SALE of a moto. In fact, he tries to talk you out of paying cash. He makes his money from financing them, and has a full time thug to do his collections.

One day we spent over an hour with him at his shop. It was a Friday afternoon. There must have been 50 young guys coming in to make their payments.

To the OP: a moto in the DR will cost no less than RD$33-35,000 unless a colseout (saw one, a one-off cheesy Chi-Com brand orphan, with a RD$23,000 pricetag...covered in dust from sitting on the showroom). A good Suzuki, Yamaha, Damoto or Honda will cost RD$53-60,000.

The paperwork will take at least 60 days to get to you.

And big bikes of every kind are available. Just go to the importers in SDQ. We bought our 12 bikes from Bonanza, the sole importer of Suzuki.

Be aware that bikes cost 60% more here than the similar model in the states.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
you can use a credit card to buy a bike it papatera in gasper hernandez, i think they put a surcharge of 3-6% for the transaction, but they do take them....don't worry about accidents, drive very defensively....i have been driving a bike for over 5 yrs and no accidents, but a few close calls...and don't drive at night....way way too dangerous....good luck and be careful
oh yea, don't go to the bigger cities, sdq, sdi, or pop because you will be asking for trouble....