Made it here, Is Viva better cell phone service than Orange?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I have lived in Santo Domingo now for almost a whole month now. I brought myself a Orange cellular telephone. But sometimes the Orange telephone says "limited service". This is annoying because it happens half of the day. I think Viva may be better here for me in Santo Domingo. I think eventually I will need some kind of plan because I think that Orange charges me 5 pesos per minute during the week and 1 pesos per minute on the weekends. I just buy a tarjeta card on the street to increase my minutes. I cannot get voice mail set up correctly on Orange. I think Viva is my next move. I like Santo Domingo and I have found a job here in Santo Domingo. I like Santo Domingo very much and the country so I think I will try to stay and work and go to the university here (INTEC) for my masters in applied spanish linguistics. But, a Viva cell phone may be better for me than Orange.

Feb 7, 2007
Viva is cheaper for you than Orange. On pay-as-you-go plans, it costs RD$ 5.38 per minute including taxes any number in the DR, USA and PR.
On Orange you pay RD$ 9.98 per minute with taxes to call Claro, Codetel, Viva and Tricom, and RD$7.68 per minute to call Orange numbers.

You can opt for a prepaid plan called FLEX (postpaid called MAX is quite difficult to get if you do not have a checking account or credit card, or excellent credit history with Orange) - you can get 150 minutes per month for RD$710.40 all numbers in the DR and USA and PR, that makes the minute cost RD$4.74 and you also get Orange to Orange calling for RD$1.28 per minute on weekends after you use up your plan minutes. Additional minutes are at RD$4.80 national and RD$2.94 Orange to Orange.

All rates quoted with 28% taxes included.