Dreams La Romana

happycamper

Mar 1, 2009
It is our first time in DR and I have booked this hotel for the last week of May for 2 weeks.
The reviews for the hotel look good. Has anyone got first hand experience
of the hotel/area. Anyone got any tips which will make it a better experience.
Are there any restaurants or bars within easy reach of the hotel ?
Any information greatly appreciated

thanks
steve

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
This is my favourite place in the DR. I just returned on Feb. 22 after 2 weeks there as my dozenth visit in 5 years and will be returning at the end of May as well. One thing I love about the hotel is its proximity to Bayahibe, a century old fishing village which is sadly being overtaken by tourism and international investors, but I still like it. I can't afford another 2 weeks at the hotel so will stay in Bayahibe for 5 - 7 days and then head to Dreams for the last week of May.

I was last at the hotel in October when it was undergoing renovations to convert it from Sunscape Casa del Mar to the upgraded Dreams property. My pictures of that trip are in an album at Dreams La Romana...one more time as Casa del Mar! October, 2008 pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots My pictures of the recent trip are a couple of weeks away from being shared, but based on some people's questions I'm loading a few pictures at a time to an album at Preliminary Dreams album pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots I have some videos at YouTube too: YouTube - Patricia333's Channel

There are a dozen places in Bayahibe to stop for a drink or bite to eat. A sampling is...

All along the one street called Bahia that goes along the water, there's Barco Bar and Cafe: bayahibe town barco restaurant_7290 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and La Bahia: la bahia_7304 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and Mare Nostrum (with some of the best views from its 2nd story tables): mare nostrum and casa daniel_7372 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots and the view: cerveza and banos break at mare nostrum_7238 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and La Punta: la punta seafood restaurant_8517 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and La Jungla: La Jungla_9450 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and Bamboo Grill: Bamboo Beach Bar and Grill_1574 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and Cafecito de la Cubana: La Cubana_9454 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

The place under the big tree is one of those which serves home cooking, no frills: The good Pico Pollo under the tree_9434 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

and there are lots of them, this being another: Street food and Saona excursions_1355 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

Leaving the village by 100 feet toward the Bayahibe Beach, there is a string of little establishments like this: Dining on the beach_1368 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

which is in the area of trees just beyond the boats here (coming from Dreams): Boats on the beach_1566 pictures from caribbean photos on webshots

Depending on what kind of tips you're looking for, I may have some! Are you looking for things to enjoy at the hotel, or in the area?

Kaki

happycamper

Mar 1, 2009
Kaki, Thanks for your reply. I would like to say on your behalf 'thanks to the digital camera' . I dread to think how much your photography would have cost you if you were using old fashioned film. I have looked at some of them but it will take me some time to view them all....many thanks for your efforts.

Can you advise me on the following questions
1. How far is the town Bayahibe from the hotel. Is it a walk or taxi. Is
it safe in the town in the evening ?
2. How would you rate the evening entertainment at the hotel ?
3. Is there a hair dryer in the room (and is it any good)(obviously a
question from my wife...I don't need a hair dryer !!)
4. Which of the hotel restaurants do you favour. Do you have to
make bookings for any of them ?
5. Are all the rooms of similar standard ?
6. Can you confirm they serve 'branded drinks'

Thanks again for your time taken in replying. We are there for 2 weeks from May 24 so will be there at the same time. Lets hope that we don't see too many of those 'dramatic' clouds I saw in some of your pictures

Cheers....Steve